Pimp My Portfolio

Bonds provide the investor with the illusion of principal protection (ignoring inflation or currency debasement) while providing "guaranteed" returns if held to maturity.

I doubt that you can say anything more about them. The fact remains that this feature appeals to countless investors who cannot countenance a loss of principal.

I am not claiming it is right. But it is a fact.

brewer12345 said:
Bzzt! Wrong!

Go look at just about any efficient frontier study. Adding a small amount of bonds (10% or so) to a stock portfolio incresases (or maintains) return while decreasing risk.

Like this? Looks to me like the addition of any amount of bonds always reduces returns (if only slightly) & SD...

69124826_1d5235fd78_o.gif

Cb said:
Like this? Looks to me like the addition of any amount of bonds always reduces returns (if only slightly) & SD...

Meh, close enough. Sharpe ratio goes up significantly with a smidge of bonds, at least.

Return isn't everything, especially to those living exclusively on their portfolio. There is a lot to be said for getting attractive returns with less risk.

Nords said:
Brewer, you say "risk" to mean "volatility". I bet most of us high-equity investors are more concerned about "risk" in its senses of inflation erosion & diworseification.

Enter TIPS...

brewer12345 said:
Return isn't everything, especially to those living exclusively on their portfolio. There is a lot to be said for getting attractive returns with less risk.

I may ask that something to that effect be engraved on my headstone. :)

REWahoo! said:
I may ask that something to that effect be engraved on my headstone. :)

Make sure they include some formulas with lots of Greek leters. Always makes someone seem smarter.

Cb said:

Check out the red plot (2000-2004). Adding bonds to a 100% stock portfolio increases returns and reduces standard deviation. Granted, this was a pretty bad period to be invested in equities.

brewer12345 said:
Enter TIPS...
"Golly gee whillikers, guys, I just got here and I think this is a great board, but if TIPS are yielding more than my SWR then why would I ever invest in anything else? And while I'm waiting to hear back from Kiyosaki about my real estate rentals, can anyone recommend where I should buy an annuity for my IRA to help pay off my mortgage?"

I'm not saying that one approach is better than another for everyone, but we've sure heard that TIPS canard before.

I guess my govt COLA pension could be compared to TIPS. On that basis my portfolio would probably be a 50/50 TIPS/equities asset allocation. (Which brings up another of those classic threads.) With Poyet it'd probably be his rental real estate income.

I think almost everyone would agree that a predictable stream of monthly income is better than having to sell equities every month by reverse dollar-cost averaging. The controversy arises over whether that monthly income should come from CDs, TIPS & TIPS funds, bonds & bond funds, various pensions, rental income, or equity dividends.

And once we've sorted out the financial aspects, then there's that whole emotional issue of sleeping at night...

Nords said:
I think almost everyone would agree that a predictable stream of monthly income is better than having to sell equities every month by reverse dollar-cost averaging. The controversy arises over whether that monthly income should come from CDs, TIPS & TIPS funds, bonds & bond funds, various pensions, rental income, or equity dividends.

Its a controversy I have never understood. Cash is cash, regardless of where it comes from in your portfolio. As long as the total return and volatility of your portfolio are sufficient to let you live the life you choose, who cares whether the cash flow comes from dividends, cap gains, interest, rental income, pensions, or beev3r chees3 futures settlement payments?

I mention TIPS as an example of bonds that maintain purchasing power, since you brought up the boos-wah about loosing to inflation over time.

justin said:
Check out the red plot (2000-2004). Adding bonds to a 100% stock portfolio increases returns and reduces standard deviation. Granted, this was a pretty bad period to be invested in equities.

Good point...I hadn't notice that the BONDS descriptor was at the upper end of that curve! :'(

My guess is that one will be an interesting curve (a point?) by the time the decade is over...

Cb, holding 15% bonds (along with a decent fixed pension & SSI in years to come)

Keep it up. So far, after careful soul searching and research yesterday (prompted by discussion here), I decided to drop REIT investments to 5% and rebalance bonds to 15%. So I am currently at:

Large Cap – 34% (Vngd 500 Index and Vngd Tax-Managed Capital Appreciation)
Mid Cap – 14% (Vngd Mid-Cap Index)
Small Cap – 18% (Vngd Small-Cap Index and Vngd Tax-Managed Small-Cap)
REIT – 5% (Vngd REIT Index)
International Developed – 7% (Vngd Developed Mks Index and Vngd Tax-Man Intl)
International Developing – 1% (Vngd Emerging Markets Stock Index)
Bonds – 15% (Vngd Short-Term Treasury and mostly Vngd Intermediate-Term Treasury)
Cash – 5% (Bank and Vngd Treasury Money Market)

The only changes I am considering is moving international to a total of 15% (10% developed and 5% emerging) by lowering large cap to 30% and small cap to 15%. However, overseas funds seem expensive compared to domestic large cap, so I may not do any additional adjustments this year and simply add all new investments to overseas funds, which is what I have been doing for the past three years (I had zero overseas funds three years ago).

Thanks to Cb for posting the efficient frontier curves. I had never seen before one (just one) curve lowering risk and increasing return. BTW, this 2000-2004 episode is so special that it corresponds to the example I gave, describing conditions I would be ready to hold bonds, stock market diving, low inflation, rates decreasing. It is very particular as most often, the stock market dives because of inflation and / or recession (and therefore bonds dive as well). So be it, there is always a highly specific counter-example to the general rule.

More generally and over one century (1901-2001), de Laulanié in "Les Placements de l'Epargne à Long Terme" studies various efficient frontier portfolios trying to maximize returns and to lower risks. I would just mention two portfolios one with RE (RE in Paris) and the other without. The first (P1) is 25% french stocks, 25% US stocks and 50% RE and delivers at the efficient frontier elbow 4,5% real return (above inflation) with a 3% sigma. The second (P2) is 40% french stocks, 35% US stocks, 15% french bonds, 10% cash (Treasuries) and delivers 4,2% real returns with a 2,1% sigma

But, one has to notice that in terms of years of losses, P1 is much better than P2. P1 would have had only three years of losses (1930, 1974, 1994) and only one with a loss slightly > 10% (1930), whereas the second would have had 8 years of losses over a century with two years of losses greater than 20% in 1930 and 1974. Therefore P2 is highly more volatile than P2 and delivers a bit less !

Delivering an informed opinion to the portfolio exposed by bbuzzard, would require to be able to study its response over decades and to locate the right blend on an efficient frontier of variants. Quite difficult, but interesting.

I return to bbuzzard portfolio (and anticipated moves) then I'll be back to Nords and Brewer comments (on steady streams of cash flow).

With respect to bonds now, high yields and emerging markets bonds seem to be less interesting today than US treasuries. Convertibles enable to participate to the (stock) market performance with a certain protection on the downside (as they have kind of an integrated optional structure which is cheap at the time due to low volat of the stock market at the moment). But again I would not increase bond exposure right now.

With respect to stocks, large caps are cheaper than small caps and I truely wonder whether I should not sell some EU small / mid caps which have simply sky rocketed. UK large caps are cheap (FTSE100 has a P/E 12,5 + a 3% div on FTSE100 ETFs). Emerging markets offer opportunities in China, Brazil, Thailand, Poland, Korea. In terms of sectors, finance and health-care are interesting (I keep loading HC). Finally listed RE keeps going through the roof in europe and france in particular !

In terms of ensuring a regular cashflow brewer must be (theoritically) right. But as a mere human being (trying to sleep at night :) ) I am so much more confident with a stream coming from commercial rental RE (as Nords pointed to in my case). But in terms of "regular cashflow portfolios" there must also exist an efficient frontier portfolio made of a mix of what Nords quoted (CDs, TIPS, bonds, RE, etc.), knowing that taxes (and how they apply to each investor) have a large impact on the end-result there. Changing residency to optimize taxes is a way of maximizing returns as well. I exclude pension as I have none :) and hardly consider it as an asset class.

Well, I've enjoyed reading all your views.

Back
Top Bottom