Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post

Their initial offer to me was $10,300. I pulled several comps from dealer used car lots within a 150 mile radius. All had more mileage than mine, none had the same interior/exterior color combinations, and they were all over $12K. I picked the closest match and called the dealer for their best offer. They wouldn't come down below $12.5K. I sent the particulars to Progressive and told them that I would drive 150 miles to that dealer to pickup that car if they wanted to go ahead and cut the check.

After two days and "re-evaluating the market", they offered me $13.8K
This is what I did and I got a similar result. Other web sites are NADA and Edmunds.

“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” Alan Greenspan
Bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Looks like I am getting what appears to me to be a fair price-$15,400.

I doubt any other company would have performed better. I was all set for a fight, but looks like I will not have to bother msyelf with that.

BTW- thanks to everyone who expressed best wishes for my health. I really appreciate your kindness.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear of your accident, and there has been a great amount of info listed.

If you have any reservations, just ask the insurance company to qualify how they came up with that number. IE. base model price, options for that car, any thing you will see in the NADA or other reference.

My experience after a totalled Volvo wagen, they low balled, but after three rounds of questions with the NADA, they provided more than I could justify. I accepted.

Any way you choose, Best of Luck !!

Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote