Join Early Retirement Today

Please Review My New Bond Asset Allocation
Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Please Review My New Bond Asset Allocation

We are 2 or 3 years from retiring and just met with a hourly CFP, his AA is 50/50 and here is what he suggests I allocate for the Bond portion of my portfolio:

25% Inflation Protected TIPS Fund
25% Treasuries such as Vanguard Total Bond Index
25% Corporate such as Investment Grade Bond Fund
25% High Yield Corporate

He may have suggested those because we impressed upon him that we like low fees. I listen to Bob Brinker weekly and subscribe to his newsletter, his AA is 50/50, what he suggests for the Bond portion of a portfolio for people our age is:

20% Fidelity Floating Rate High Income
20% DoubleLine Low Duration Bond
10% Osterweis Strategic Income Fund.

However, two of those have fees around .7% and one is at .9%. To complicate things I have about 10% of our nest egg in a Fixed Income Annuity for 4 years at 1.8%, another 3% in I Bonds, and 9% in CDs which will come due in 1 year at which time I can add to our AA. The Stock portion is in Total Stock, Total International and Small Cap Index.

So, what do you think? I am leaning towards the options suggested by the CFP. This is making my brain hurt so I am also considering just putting most everything in Wellington and quit trying to figure out AA!

Thanks for your learned opinion.
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The bond funds chosen by your CFP are certainly very basic, low cost vanilla funds that you will find in many portfolios. I don't think you can go wrong with those. I don't see any municipal bonds in there, so I'm assuming you have all of this money in tax sheltered accounts.

I would definitely go with the CFP's recommendations over Bob Brinkers. Paying .7% in fees on low yielding bonds makes no sense at all.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

50% of your portfolio will be in volatile equities and 12.5% will be in volatile junk bonds. If you are OK with 62.5% of your portfolio in volatile asset classes then I think you are right on.

Are you prepared to lose 32% of the value of your port's value? If yes, then you got excellent advise.

Personally I prefer equities over junk bonds for the risky part of our portfolio . But that's akin to preferring coffee vs tea for your AM beverage.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I listen to Bob Brinker weekly and subscribe to his newsletter, his AA is 50/50, what he suggests for the Bond portion of a portfolio for people our age is:

20% Fidelity Floating Rate High Income
20% DoubleLine Low Duration Bond
10% Osterweis Strategic Income Fund.

However, two of those have fees around .7% and one is at .9%.
Doubleline low duration(DBLSX) is one I own. I think you are mistaken about its expense ratio. The investor shares have an ER of 0.49 net, I think 2 basis points higher gross (I doubt that will ever see the light of day) Most recent duration is 0.94, and 30 day yield is 1.56%. In the last 12 months its high low was 10.12, high 10.25 so it is very stable given that the last 12 months contained some real bond market movement. I have listened to every presentation management has given for 2 years or more, and I like the way they operate. They are not an index fund, so Boglehead diehards would likely send you elsewhere. They publish a lot of information about holdings, so you can see whether you would feel comfortable. Remember that you can find 1 year CDs around 1%, so giving up absolute safety and accepting modest interest rate risk gives you an extra 55 to 65 bp.

I also own and like DBLTX, the Doubleline Total Return Bond Fund Investor Class. Even though it has lost NAV since my investment about 2 years ago, I am nevertheless way ahead of the game, and far ahead of riskless assets. It has a longer duration, and more credit assets than DBLSX, so it is more exposed than Low Duration to credit and also interest rate change.

I also have short term CDs and savings accounts.

All this is easy to find at your broker's website, or other online sources and I would recommend understanding whatever you buy so you will know what to expect under various scenarios.

Ha
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes you are correct, DBLSX expense ratio is .48, I got that one wrong. Thanks
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote