Poll: FIRE and unemployment benefits

FIRE and drawing unemployment

• I plan to (or I've already done so) draw unemployment benefits when I FIRE

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I haven't and I won't

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • NYDB (no, it isn't New York Data Base....)

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
How do you feel about FIREing and drawing unemployment?

EDIT: Whether or not you used unemployment benefits prior to FIRE isn't relevant to the question. The poll is intended to determine if drawing unemployment part of your financial plan when you FIRE.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, you're supposed to be actively looking for, and be available for, work to draw unemployment...

After my boss closed up shop and I decided to retire the only thing I got was a kick in the ass so I applied for unemployment. They sent me a check every week for 6 months. That was my retirement package.

If I got laid off.... then I would apply...

the decision to FIRE might or might not be made until later in the process...

You guys can't see it, but my hand is sticking out waiting for my fair share of the dole. Sign me up!

I would have collected it if I could have figured out how to get laidoff or fired (from w**k). Could not do it so I just FIRED instead :D:D:D

I can see the headline now:
"Military retiree draws pension and files for unemployment benefits".

Ouch.

My plans are to voluntarily retire in 20 months, just as soon as I qualify for retirement. Being a federal employee, I have an unusually high degree of job security. So, I voted that I would not take unemployment.

But we all know about the best laid plans of mice and men (women too). If (heaven forbid, knock on wood) I should find myself forced into the ranks of the unemployed before I retire, for reasons beyond my control, I would apply for unemployment. I don't see how that could happen, though. I would look for jobs in the area to satisfy the unemployment office requirements, but jobs in my occupation on my level do not open up very often.

Yeah - I'd email out resumes twice a week. And I'd make sure to show up to the job interviews sure to follow in my nicest pair of worn out shorts and the least threadbare t-shirt I could find from my ever-growing dirty laundry basket. I might even put on some deodorant and comb my 5-week stubble (isn't that a beard?).

If you get laid off or your job ends at the time you retire, I see no reason why you shouldn't collect unemployment benefits. If I can collect unemployment benefits at the end, I will....and will consider the money as my "parting gift".

I was RIF'd at about the time I wanted to retire. Got a decent severance package, some retiree benefits and collected unemployment. Collecting unemployment was extremely easy and absolutely zero hassle in our state. Everything was done quickly and easily on the internet with never a single trip to the unemployment office. Followed all their rules about looking for work to the letter which took about ten mins per week max. Those were very, very sweet dollars and I spent every single one capriciously.

This kayak I bought for DW represents about three weeks of unemployment, net of taxes. ;)

Attachments

• 083107_1902a.jpg
    083107_1902a.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
Yeah - I'd email out resumes twice a week. And I'd make sure to show up to the job interviews sure to follow in my nicest pair of worn out shorts and the least threadbare t-shirt I could find from my ever-growing dirty laundry basket. I might even put on some deodorant and comb my 5-week stubble (isn't that a beard?).

I heard Vandaly Industries is looking for a latex salesman...;) Seriously, in my state it is easy knowing 2 people that recently took bennies....all have to do is call into an auto. line once or twice a week...

You need one more option in the poll: I can't

Since I'm self-employed and don't pay into unemployment, I can't collect.

Hmmmmm...maybe after I fully retire I can get a job for a few months so I can get laid off and collect. Nahhhhhhhhh.

I was once laid off, collected the max for 26 weeks UC, then got a job for 3 months, was laid off again, collected the max for another 26 weeks of UC. Congress extended the benefit and I got another 13 weeks added on.

I slept well at night as I was not dipping into taxpayer funds, I was taking advantage of a benefit that is funded by employers of this state. I also sleep well today as I continue to receive pension money, also a benefit of employment.

Last edited:
Whether or not you used unemployment benefits prior to FIRE isn't relevant to the question. The intent of the poll is to determine if drawing unemployment part of your FIRE financial plan.

Hmmmm....... kind of hard to plan for it ahead of time since you'd have to have prior knowledge that you'd be laid off to begin your RE.

I didn't plan on it for FIRE. But when I found out I could collect it, I did. It was a windfall I spent like a drunken sailor for six months and admit I did miss the bi-weekly checks when they stopped! I still continue to play with all the toys we bought though! :)

Whether or not you used unemployment benefits prior to FIRE isn't relevant to the question. The intent of the poll is to determine if drawing unemployment part of your FIRE financial plan.

If there's a happy coincidence of me being downsized at the appropriate time, hell yes...

But it's not really part of "The Plan".

How can you ge unemployment benefits if you voluntarily quit?

Back
Top Bottom