Poll: How long did you track expenses before ER ?

How many years did you carefully track expenses before retiring ?

• none

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • 0 - 1 year

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • 1 - 2 years

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • 2 - 3 years

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • 3 - 4 years

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 4 years or more

Votes: 75 50.7%

• Total voters
I voted none. My expenses are few and minimal, with few large unexpected future expenditures likely. I knew I was capable of living on a little less than I was while working, and that is the way it worked out.

No Quicken for this guy but then, I only spend ~$1400/month.

It's interesting to be able to figure out when you bought that old sofa or whatever.

Errrrrrrr... Well, maybe.

We all do our own thing. I'd rather know when the ice is going to be out on my favorite walleye lake in northern Minnesota. Last year there was still ice on the water on opening day. That's interesting......

I never tracked expenses that closely until recently, but with Quicken and the way we pay for most things with credit cards (paid in full at the end of month), the tracking is free and all automatic anyway.

Quicken saved me money once like this. Soon after I started the automatic expense download, I noticed a $9.98 recurrent charge every month. I asked my wife and she did not know either, and she was the one who paid all bills! It was automatically debited from the checking account every month, so she called the bank to ask what that was about.

As it turned out, it was a deal about automatic accidental death insurance that my wife bought a long time ago. There was a time when she traveled a lot for megacorp, and thought that she would protect the family in case of a disaster. So, we had been paying $10/month for nothing for several years!

Last edited:
Tracked expenses about 5 years prior to retirement (retired Jan 2008), but got really serious and started using Quicken to track every dollar when I went part time 3 years prior to full retirement. The more years you track, the more confidence you'll have.

Errrrrrrr... Well, maybe.

We all do our own thing. I'd rather know when the ice is going to be out on my favorite walleye lake in northern Minnesota. Last year there was still ice on the water on opening day. That's interesting......

Reminded me of this cartoon today.

I didn't keep great details, but I did track how much we spent for about 6 years prior to ER.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 34
Not retired yet, but I will likely go this year. For the last five years, we have tracked overall household expenses using statements from one checking and one savings account. Everything we spend runs through one of these two accounts, except for income tax withholding, which we can get from W-2. I don't include payroll taxes (e.g. FICA, etc.) or other employee withholding (e.g. LTD, parking, etc.) that we won't continue into retirement. This lets us know how much we will need annually to maintain our current lifestyle, without getting into the nitty-gritty of dogfood versus cleaning supplies. Prior to doing this, we *did* try tracking and categorizing everything for a couple of years. That exercise wasn't very revealing of anything we'd do differently, and so we felt it wasn't worth the PITA of doing in such detail. We don't have many work-related expenses or other items that we expect will change much in retirement, with the likely exception of income taxes, which are counted at current levels in above and likely will change in our favor anyway. We've also kept separate track of significant travel, charities, and a few large purchases of note, which either aren't routine or may change in retirement, so we can anticipate those accordingly. Our expenses otherwise have been fairly consistent for the last few years, so we are pretty confident in the numbers we get from the above. It's pretty lightweight and works for us.

Since the vast majority of my spending is for needs rather than wants, I've never made a budget, unless looking in the checkbook to see how much was spent over the past few months counts. Since I need food, housing, and healthcare, knowing how much I am spending provides little useful information: it's not like next month I can simply choose not to eat. Similarly such information does not help me reduce spending since I always seek a good value independently with every purchase.

I started tracking expenses in whatever year the IBM XP came out. Employee discount still cost me over two grand. 20 Mb hard drive and 360kb floppy. 4.7 Mhz processor. How far we've come!

Yeah, but you were lucky. Mine didn't have a hard drive.

I remember being able to use a CB radio crystal to change the 4.77m clock crystal on the motherboard. Would certainly speed things up, sometimes too fast to where the FDD would time out before it actually read the disk.

I so wanted the XT HDD option, though. When I finally got it, it came in its own separate case.

Last edited:
I've tracked expenses since 1988 when I got my first computer.

I started with an Apple II and graduated to a Mac 512k. No hard drives until I bought an external 20MB hard drive for the Mac

I've tracked expenses since 1988 when I got my first computer.

I've often wondered how much I've earned or spent in total over time. I would be curious to know whether you have kept a cumulative total, and in what ballpark it is.

I have been tracking our income since DW and I started commingling our finances (1999). I have been tracking our spending since I started using Quicken (2004).

Last edited:
Since the vast majority of my spending is for needs rather than wants, I've never made a budget...
I still do not have a budget per se, but want to know how much we spent after the fact, and on what.

We have always been frugal, but without earned income, it is easy for the expenses to creep up and encroach on that 3.5% WR. For example, I have observed that over the last 3 years, our non-recurring and unplanned expenses have run around $10K/yr easily. Examples include home and car maintenance, health expenses, etc... Nothing alarming at this point, but we do end up spending more than we thought.

We have always been frugal, but without earned income, it is easy for the expenses to creep up and encroach on that 3.5% WR. For example, I have observed that over the last 3 years, our non-recurring and unplanned expenses have run around $10K/yr easily. Examples include home and car maintenance, health expenses, etc... Nothing alarming at this point, but we do end up spending more than we thought.
People only think that these are non-recurring. Unless you sell your cars, car expenses, even lumpy ones, are recurring. Even if you sell your cars, unless you can beg rides, you will be paying for taxis and buses. Ditto health expenses. Unless you die, you will have health expenses, including some fairly large ones from time to time. Check out what a set of new chompers would cost.

Ha

I have observed that over the last 3 years, our non-recurring and unplanned expenses have run around $10K/yr easily. Examples include home and car maintenance, health expenses, etc... Nothing alarming at this point, but we do end up spending more than we thought.

My budget for these 'accrual' type / lumpy expenses is 11k / year so your 10k makes sense to me.

I hate quicken. I downloaded data from the CC companies and my bank for 2 years and ran the numbers. Then I added in fudge factors for mainenance costs that didn't occur (e.g. roof, appliances, car purchases, large medical costs), then I added big fudge factors for extra travel and miscellaneous expenses.

For me, about 20 years in Quicken. Of course I wasn't tracking for the purpose of preparing for ER 20 years ago, but when I wanted to assure myself of the numbers, I had 20 years of data to look back at.

I spent about 12 months analyzing the data before making the final decision to quit my job though.
Same here. Had tracked expenses since late 80s when we got Quicken, so had have amount of data at my fingertips.

I never tracked expenses in detail until a couple of years prior to retirement in 2001. However, I always monitored our cash flow, so I knew we were taking in more than we were spending. Since we were pretty frugal, the details didn't matter too much. Quicken just allowed me to demonstrate to DW, that I could retire at 55.

The most important reason for tracking now, is to be able to manage taxes. I don't like to owe a lot on April 15, neither do I want the IRS to have a lot more of my money than they need. Also, as manager of my investments, it helps me keep track of the cost basis of things from prior to my relationship with Schwab.

I do look a lot at our expenses historically so as to think about what they are likely to be and plan to have the cash on hand as needed. I also like that graph you get when Quicken opens that lets you see historically how your net worth has grown over time. That, is very motivating.

We're (hopefully) about a year out from ER so have been doing some analysis, hoping to dig a bit deeper than the really general TakeHomePay - PreTaxHealthInsurance formula had been using to know what we spend every month.

I don't think will ever get to the level of detail some others in here do by using Quicken or journals, but can get pretty good idea since we use credit cards for most of our spending and they let you set up spending categories based on what the transaction name is.

So I can't be able to differentiate food from beer, household cleaning supplies or hygiene products since all come from same grocery store but I'm not sure I really care as I expect it to all be there same same in the budget when we retire. Same with trips to stores like Walmart, I'm forced to lump that into "misc spending" since it could have been socks, a fishing lure, whatever who knows.

Last edited:
For many years I dutifully tracked all of our expenses in Quicken (except for misc. cash expenditures). Raising a family created lots of new items and some to be dropped. It was an exercise in understanding where money went rather than trying to precisely budget future expenses.

DW used to roll her eyes back in her head when I attempted to sit down with here and go over each line item. :rolleyes: So I just threw in the towel on that task.:facepalm:

Life is too variable to try to live to a strict budget, especially when raising a family. Now, with the kids out of the nest, we just watch our spending and live frugally as we can and still try to enjoy life. ;)

One thing I learned about 20 years of detailed Quicken data is that no one, including me, wants to look at it, or, if they do, can't make any sense out of it since it is based on a somewhat previous life and set of circumstances.

wow, an inverse bell curve is not a common poll result

Thats the sign of a bad poll. The choices should be more like
1) Didnt track expenses
2) 0-3 yrs
3) Between 3 and 6 yrs
4) Between 6 and 10 yrs
5) More than 10 yrs

I did not track expenses at all prior to retirement. Our ER involved moving to Mexico though so there was a great deal of research and estimating what our expenses would be after the move. Been here going on eight months now and have been tracking virtually every peso spent. We're comfortably under our projected budget so things are looking good so far. Will keep tracking expenses carefully for at least a couple of years to be sure.

We didn't track expenses at all before retirement but we knew what we were spending and didn't expect any major changes. And because I have a COLA'd pension I wasn't too concerned about inflation. Actually when I retired the net income increased slightly because I was maxed out on the deferred compensation (similar to 401k) and I was no longer paying into the retirement system or SS. I brown-bagged lunches so that was a wash. Commuting costs weren't an issue because I had an employer-furnished car. (I do miss that one - "Say, I think it needs a new set of tires, can you look at that? Thanks.")

We bought a ledger (i.e. a book with columnar pages, for the younger posters) soon after we were married in 1970. So we tracked expenses for 36 years before I retired.

When we got the first computer, I moved my recording to Quicken, DW stayed with paper.

The questions weren't about retirement, of course. But it felt good to have some data for the "can we afford a more expensive apartment?" then "can we afford a house?" then "what can we handle for kid's college?"

Back
Top Bottom