• Old fashioned - paper, pencil, calculator

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • I don't need to do my taxes

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • other

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since there are several threads on what to choose for taxes, especially since a Vanguard freebie is no longer an option, I thought it's time for a poll to see the breakdown. :)

I will probably wait until April or May to see who has the best deal. As long as I can get directly to forms mode it really doesn't matter to me which software I use.

I'm in the Turbotax camp for this year but will keep my options open for the future.

I will be checking the IRS freefile site to see what I can use for free this year. Been using TaxAct since '98 but with the price increase this year I'll check other options.

I will be checking the IRS freefile site to see what I can use for free this year. Been using TaxAct since '98 but with the price increase this year I'll check other options.

Knew I'd forget something (that's why I always have an "other" category in polls :)). Didn't even think about the IRS freefile site.

as long as fido is giving free turbotax I may as well use it. Haven't had any problems with it in the past.

I have a CPA that does my taxes each year......the closest you have "I hire someone or family friend does them".......I do hire someone BUT NEVER would I have a family friend do them!

Chose other. I have used the IRS site (free file fillable forms) the last few years and plan on using it again this coming year.

Lol, and that is why God invented CPA's. I have an accountant

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Lol, and that is why God invented CPA's. I have an accountant

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

+1. I have used Turbotax in the past, but I have some interesting things this year that I don't trust to Turbotax (or at least my use of it)

Last year I switched to H&R Block. I still think that TurboTax is a bit more convenient but was protesting sharp price increase.

I answered 'other.' I grabbed a copy of TT Premier via Fidelity. I'll use it for tax planning and to help DD with her return. But our actual return is prepared by a large accounting firm that Megacorp pays. Even though I'm retired, they're still benefitting from a large FTC related to an expat assignment many years ago. I think 2015 will be the last year with this process. So I'll use TT to prepare for doing my own taxes next year, such as setting up my rental assets, etc.

TurboTax for me. I always do my own, never hire it out. I also have two trust returns I do, but fortunately they are real simple. One trust ended last year, so only one for this year.

+1. I have used Turbotax in the past, but I have some interesting things this year that I don't trust to Turbotax (or at least my use of it)
I had our former CPA tell me that we had one of the most complicated returns he did. His last year before retirement I mirrored his return with TT Premier. Results matched within $5 & I think difference was all due to rounding differences. Net, I'm using TT for the 3rd time this year.

For the last 20 years I have used an accountant but in 2015, for the first time in many years, I will be doing them myself, with Turbo Tax. As I am now in the withdrawal phase, I figured that doing my own taxes will give me a better feel for how they are affected by the way that I manage my portfolio.

The old fashioned way - but with a spreadsheet and not paper/pencil. It's probably still quite old fashioned?

TT. We'll use it for our return and for MIL's return (DH is guardian.)

Turbo-Tax... I don't like them (due to their past marketing tactics) but they make a good product.

I picked "old fashioned". But I won't use paper and pencil.

I'll add one column to my Excel spreadsheet, then enter the results into the fillable form on the IRS website.

I'll check the federal math with free online turbo tax.

I'll use Turbo tax this year for the first time since I got a free premier copy from Fidelity. In the last 10+ years I've used H&R Block/TaxCut and I liked it.

I started playing around with TT yesterday and was pleased to see that it imported my H&R Block data from last year. So far so good......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom