Poll:Percent of your cash+invested assets in cash?

What percent is cash of your invested assets & cash?

• Less than 0.5% including negative cash

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Less than 1.0%

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Less than 2.5%

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Less than 5.0%

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • Less than 10.0%

Votes: 45 25.0%
  • Less than 20.0%

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • Less than 50.0%

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • 50.0% or more

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Something else, but I wanted to answer anyways

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I'd have less in cash if it wasn't for the PenFed 3% CDs. I'm around an 88/12 allocation with about half of that 12 in CDs and a couple percent more in high-yield savings. My bond exposure is low, mostly because I'm still accumulating.

Just because something is liquid does not make it cash. For instance, older high yield Ibonds are cashable but who would cash them when they are excellent long term holds? So for me, they are not cash and represent 7% of the portfolio...
I did not know about I-bonds back in 2000, and even if I knew, might not be smart enough to realize that a guaranteed 3.5% above inflation was a godsend.

Those original I-bonds are an asset class by themselves. Not stinkin' bond, not stinkin' cash. They are better than gold. There's nothing to compare them to. And I do not have those.

Also, I-bonds in euro. As far as I know, there ain't no such animal?

So what are my alternatives .. only CDs as far as I can tell. Even those only yield 1.3% right now at 5 years.

16% right now. However, my goal is to keep a fixed amount of (emergency) cash, while investing any money I have beyond that. It just happens to be 16% of the total portfolio today.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Perhaps another poll is needed to ask if folks include all this cash in their portfolio performance numbers.

With only 25% of respondents having less than 5% in cash I believe the YTD performance numbers in other threads even less.

Perhaps another poll is needed to ask if folks include all this cash in their portfolio performance numbers.

With only 25% of respondents having less than 5% in cash I believe the YTD performance numbers in other threads even less.
Not sure why not. The high percentage in cash might be recent, and it also might be a reallocation from low yielding fixed income.

I've completely eliminated coins. What I do get goes to Salvation Army guys around this time of year.

Now feeling wild and free! :dance:

I've completely eliminated coins. What I do get goes to Salvation Army guys around this time of year.

Now feeling wild and free! :dance:

Same here. I put them in various bowls that my DW mines occasionally. Coins are a pain. In Canada we have $1 and $2 dollar coins though. Hard to ignore these entirely.

Mine is 8%-9%. I am glad my number is not way off in the poll.

I don't even look at performance threads anymore. All I look at now days for comparison are stock/bond index's.

Answered <20% but I included the 60k I have on loan to a couple of my kids. We will get 2/3's of that back at the end of next week and then it will get invested in non-cash so my % will drop a bit if I answered next week.

In Canada we have $1 and $2 dollar coins though. Hard to ignore these entirely.

You are so lucky (along with Europeans)! I wish the USA would follow suit.

When I travel, I make it a practice to keep the 1 and 2 coins in one pocket, and smaller denominations in another. The aim is always to maintain the lowest number of coins in each pocket, and it's surprisingly easy.

OTOH, at home I have to always stuff the $1 and $5 bills in my wallet and then sort them so they're in order. What a nuisance.

Still, we're lucky compared to some countries. I well remember living through the South American hyperinflation times when the smallest Brazilian bill in my wallet was 5,000 and when I was in Peru workers were getting paid 2 or 3 times a day so they could spend it before it lost too much value.

When I travel, I make it a practice to keep the 1 and 2 coins in one pocket, and smaller denominations in another. The aim is always to maintain the lowest number of coins in each pocket, and it's surprisingly easy.

OTOH, at home I have to always stuff the $1 and $5 bills in my wallet and then sort them so they're in order. What a nuisance.

Interesting, I really don't like the feeling of coins jangling around in my pockets. I take them out or give the to my DW as soon as possible. When we are in Arizona my wallet gets a lot thicker. Hurts my back when I sit on it in the car.

Canadian money is so much more colourful and durable than US cash. Way thinner too.

Last edited:
Canadian money is so much more colourful and durable than US cash. Way thinner too.

And apparently influential.

I got some of the new £5 notes in London last month. Plastic and smaller, similar to Canadian notes.

Since the Canadian notes smell kinda like maple syrup, I was curious about the English ones. Maybe they would smell like tea? But alas, odor-free as far as I could tell. A good move, and they will gradually be replacing all denominations with the new type.,

And apparently influential.

I got some of the new £5 notes in London last month. Plastic and smaller, similar to Canadian notes.

Since the Canadian notes smell kinda like maple syrup, I was curious about the English ones. Maybe they would smell like tea? But alas, odor-free as far as I could tell. A good move, and they will gradually be replacing all denominations with the new type.,

Maple syrup? Looks like we will eventually have "plastic" cash in many places. Maybe even in the US? Naw, sounds too much like a conspiracy.

Last edited:
We're still w*rking and are 90/10 with only .81% cash. In FIRE in a few years from now, "Audrey's Plan" above is most appealing to me, i.e. a Fixed Percentage Safe Withdrawal Strategy and stacking up excess cash in the bull markets for use in the bear markets.

US bills are well-known for smelling like cocaine.

Canadian notes smell kinda like maple syrup

I have noticed that bills here in New Orleans frequently stink of cheap perfume. It's very strong and pretty disgusting, really. Gives a new meaning to "filthy lucre".

You guys have too much time on your hands .... smelling your cash. ;)

And I always thought the term "the smell of money" was a little less literal. Maybe not.

Actually, I just smelled a bunch of Canadian cash and it does smell slightly sweat, not unlike maple syrup. Go figure.

Last edited:
That's it: I'm making pancakes w/ maple syrup for lunch. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Back
Top Bottom