Poll: Percentage of Smallest Holding in Portfolio?

Percentage of smallest holding in your overall portfolio?

• less than 1%

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • over 1%, less than 2%

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • over 2%, less than 5%

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • over 5%, less than 10%

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • over 10%

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
... Bottom line, I'm not going to defend them, but I'm also not going to be too critical either (unless they charge 1% AUM for this!).-ERD50
Oh, I'm not trying to be really negative, especially since using the robot is almost free. (The "almost" is that it insists on maintaining a cash position that earns almost nothing at Schwab Bank.)

Re the complex allocation might work out, I doubt that either of us will live long enough to obtain a statistically valid sample that would separate luck from skill. That is really the problem with all this stuff. Any sample series less than ten years is so noisy that it's almost impossible to prise out the signal. In fact, that is a serious criticism of my little $100K test portfolio tests. My only defense is that I think I can learn something useful from the correlations between the portfolios.

In the end, I guess I fall back on my engineering background: Simple machines are more reliable and easier to understand. So I like them. I am starting to think, in fact, that any equity portfolio that is more complex than a single all-world, all-cap fund is a waste of time and energy. And probably counterproductive.

This is really what Fama is saying when he says; "You have to hold the market portfolio." There is a worthwhile half hour to be spent with him here: INVESTORS FROM THE MOON: FAMA | Top1000Funds.com

Back
Top Bottom