Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type of millionaire are you (or think you'll be)?
Thrillionaire 12 6.12%
Coolionaire 3 1.53%
Realionaire 176 89.80%
Wellionaire 3 1.53%
Willionaire 2 1.02%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Very different having $25 million vs $2 million. Hard to appreciate this unless it actually happens because most people develop a strong satisfaction with their current wealth, especially once retired. To be otherwise would just make one unhappy.
And then, there's a difference between having $25M, or $250M, or $1B.

I read a book about Jim Clark, the founder of Silicon Graphics, then Netscape, and Healtheon. He pushed Netscape to go public early so he could get money to pay for his sailboat, at that time the largest sailboat in the world. His Dutch boat builder had to erect a new building to house it while it was being built.

Then, when he got this boat built, he wanted a new one 1.5 times as large. And he wanted to become a billionaire, which he did, aided largely by the dot-com bubble of 2000. Unlike Steve Jobs who really directed the development of the gadgets that are moneymakers, Jim Clark mostly leveraged off his workers (but he treated them well with stock options). But I digress.

Yes, we have to be happy with what we have got, else we would be very unsatisfied.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I'm "The Realionaire Next Door" to steal a phrase.

But, as long as we're ER'd and content, the label really doesn't matter.

-B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And then, there's a difference between having $25M, or $250M, or $1B.

Yes, we have to be happy with what we have got, else we would be very unsatisfied.
Yes probably true. I suspect there wouldn't be very many #3's in the $250 million class. Although, in a relative sense you might be able to make the case that some are "relatively frugal and anonymous".

The problem with this whole topic is the assumption that a $1million is a threshold that suddenly defines you as very rich. Clearly not the case. But the whole point of these articles( attract readers) would be gone if they asked "what kind of a billionaire are you". Who would care? They would all say #5 though.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #64

None of the above. Living in Bay Area with a total asset barely over $2.5M, I don't qualify to answer the poll. When the term Millionaire was coined 1st, I think it was equivalent to 4 to 8 millions in today's term.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
When the term Millionaire was coined 1st, I think it was equivalent to 4 to 8 millions in today's term.
Good guess, but the word in its present form actually dates back nearly two centuries (first recorded use was in the 1820s). So that would make it equivalent to over 20 million today.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Good guess, but the word in its present form actually dates back nearly two centuries (first recorded use was in the 1820s). So that would make it equivalent to over 20 million today.
That makes me a $100 thousandaire. I withdraw myself from this poll.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I would likely be less frugal as a multimillionaire, but I'd still prefer anonymity...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

#3's fits pretty well.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #69

To be a Realionnaire, you don't need to be a Millionaire - to be oneself is something you can do without a million. To be a Thrillionaire or Coolionaire, you need about $10 million dollars to live in luxury and beauty. But I guess each one of us can have a little bit of those traits at some point in our lives.

cyber888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't need as much as $50M to change my lifestyle. About $10M, or perhaps even less, would allow me to move to a snobby neighborhood, or getting that 3rd home on the waterfront of the Puget Sound. I may even fly only business class. Then, I would change my screen name and come back here to vote for category 1.
Me too. I often say that I would buy or do certain things if I had 10M. A million or 2 or 3 isn't enough to make me feel like I can really indulge. Except for the luxury of not having to go to work of course.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I've worked too much, making me an Ill-ionaire.
Then I drank too much and was a Swill-ionaire.
Fortunately I've managed my assets well enough to be a Still-ionaire.
Though by the time I'm gone I hope to be a Nil-ionaire.

Brilliant!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Definitely Reailonaire.

Still buy day old bread since we only use it for toast. The very last think that DW want is for her family to know our financial situation.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
W.C. Fields also showed us what he would be like with $1M
And, like most here, he may have had his frugal side. At least he could recognize a good deal when he saw one.

"I got a dog for my wife the other day. It was an excellent trade, excellent."
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I'm definitely a Realionaire "stay under the radar of the trappings of wealth, seeing their affluence as an indicator of their status as a person of uncommon common sense ... For them, wealth is simply a means to be oneself, having earned that privilege through their practicality and determination to get the biggest bang for their buck."

I don't know how my fine wine drinking, Learjet flying sister is anything but a Thrillionaire-- "enjoy the things and experiences that wealth can buy ... For them, wealth is the means to privacy, exclusivity, pleasure, and highly memorable experiences." It's hard to believe we were raised in the same house.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, this was my point in an earlier post. The obvious answer for more mature people with a million or three is #3. However, if you have say an order of magnitude more than this it would probably be different. Maybe #1? Very different having $25 million vs $2 million. Hard to appreciate this unless it actually happens because most people develop a strong satisfaction with their current wealth, especially once retired. To be otherwise would just make one unhappy.
Seems like NW-Bound might be an exception?
I just read again this thread and saw myself being mentioned that I missed the first time.

In an earlier post, I said that I voted for #3, because of my status as a low-rung millionaire, those having between $1M and $3M as you aptly identified. Then, I said that I would need to have more before I could consider being in other categories. So, we agreed. What made me an exception?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #76

Quote:
I just read again this thread and saw myself being mentioned that I missed the first time.

So, we agreed. What made me an exception?
An apparent ability to consider a higher income and visualize what you might do with it. Most retirees feel their current income is "perfect" and wouldn't know what they would spend any extra on. You seem a little more flexible. A position I agree with. Cheers
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Very interesting -- I never really thought about how long the term "millionaire" had been around.

On a whim, i went to google books and plotted it's usage (note sometimes OCR is wrong in older books so the graph is not "exact"). You can even browse/read through the books like "the millionaire of mincing lane" (1858), "Paston Carew, Millionaire and Miser", or "The Millionaire Tramp".

Billionaire also dates back to the 1860s too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.45.23 PM.jpg (150.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.50.41 PM.jpg (147.6 KB, 9 views)
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
An apparent ability to consider a higher income and visualize what you might do with it. Most retirees feel their current income is "perfect" and wouldn't know what they would spend any extra on. You seem a little more flexible. A position I agree with. Cheers
OK.

I guess my reading has opened me up to what money can buy. It's not that I stay up night dreaming about money that I will never have - I am no longer in any business, do not buy lottery tickets, nor plan to rob any bank. I do not feel deprived however, because I do not constantly covet stuff that is out of reach - OK, maybe just for the business class seat when I toss and turn in my cramped coach seat.

I think people all know what extra money can buy. Perhaps they put it out of their mind because thinking about money you do not have is futile and non-productive, particularly for a retiree who no longer has a means of producing. But myself, when I see a nice boat, a mansion, or read about people having their own jet, I cannot help making an evaluation of what net worth it would take to have something like that.

It does not make me unhappy with what I have, for a simple fact that many people wish to have what I do. And I mean many in the US, not just in third-world countries.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

By the way, I think knowing what lifestyle your current stash can buy is a very important part of wealth management.

We have all read about sports players, movie stars, and lottery winners who blew their stash worth tens of million dollars. They tried to live the life of centimillionaires. Of course their stash could not last.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #80

We are #3, with dashes of #4 and #5.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote