Poll:What type of millionaire are you?

What type of millionaire are you (or think you'll be)?

• Thrillionaire

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Coolionaire

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Realionaire

Votes: 176 89.8%
  • Wellionaire

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Willionaire

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Focus

Full time employment: Posting here.
I found this Psychology Today article on the five different types of millionaires interesting. I suspect most forum members fall into the Realionaire category. Let's see if that's reflected in the poll results.

1. Thrillionaires "enjoy the things and experiences that wealth can buy ... For them, wealth is the means to privacy, exclusivity, pleasure, and highly memorable experiences."

2. Coolionaires "surround themselves with beautiful things and experiences ... For them, wealth is the means to consume beauty if they can’t actually create it and a way to dwell in and show off their personal aesthetics and taste."

3. Realionaires "stay under the radar of the trappings of wealth, seeing their affluence as an indicator of their status as a person of uncommon common sense ... For them, wealth is simply a means to be oneself, having earned that privilege through their practicality and determination to get the biggest bang for their buck."

4. Wellionaires "pursue '360-degree' wellness through their commitment to look good, feel healthy, and think positively ... For them, wealth is the means to keep one’s body and the Earth as natural and green as possible, perceiving a symbiotic relationship between themselves and the planet."

5. Willionaires "focus on the privilege and responsibility to try to make the world a better place ... For them, the concept of philanthropy is not charity but a way of life, with wealth the means to be a social entrepreneur in avenues they feel are important."

Mostly 3, with a little bit of 1 and 4 peppered in (1 for vacations and travel; 4 for groceries!). But since we're a "get rich slowly" couple, we'll always be rooted foremost in practicality and value. (We're not investment millionaires just yet, but "net worth" millionaires.)

I'd imagine an overwhelming % of the members of this forum are Realionaires, but I know there are a few in each of the other categories.

I'd imagine an overwhelming % of the members of this forum are Realionaires, but I know there are a few in each of the other categories.

I would think the least popular one on this board would be No.2 --the Coolionaire.

Too much of that verbiage sounds like a cross between performance review self-assessment bs and Miss America contestant answers. So the minimalist in me would distill those down to two types: reallionaires and bullionaires. And yes, I'd guess the vast majority here would fall into the first group.

I chose Realionaire largely because of the "be oneself" phrasing - I was also attracted to the Thrillionaire because of the privacy statement and memorable experiences language but felt that I could subsume those under the "be oneself" heading.

I voted Realionaire. But then, is it because I had no choice, being at a fairly low rung on the millionaire ladder?

I think I had to be at least a decamillionaire before I could become a trillionaire with a bit of wellionaire mixed in.

3, Realionaire.

I assume that 'millionaire' is: 'What-I've-Got (minus) What-I-Owe (minus) Value-of-Primary-House (equals) More-Than-A-Million $$'.

While others may use their money (or credit line) to buy fancy, show-offy things I've found myself to be very happy being "anonymous", trying my best to just blend in with the crowd, and probably am the most "un-blingy" person I know.

Example: Instead of driving a flashy expensive car I've got a 10 year old Ford Crown Vic. It's a pretty "anonymous" car that doesn't attract too much attention. It also has been very reliable and cheap to own. It's not an expensive "show-offy" car, it's an appliance that gets me where I need to go.

Example: I've got a Seiko watch I bought many years ago and have worn it probably 5 times since. It wasn't particularly expensive -- it isn't a Rolex or a Breitling -- and it doesn't scream "rob me" if and when I might wear it. I don't wear any other jewelry either. No "bling". No gold teeth. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Having at least a million and spending it wisely simply means that I don't have to go to work tomorrow! Or ever, if I don't want to.

I voted 3, was expecting to see this as the most popular result, and wasn't surprised to see that it was. By and large, we're a bunch of pragmatic old farts here. Some of us aren't even that old :D

Like we often say around here: a million isn't that much. A lot easier to be number 3 when your wealth is $1-3 million, I suspect. For those with more it would be a more even distribution. But number 2 is not very flattering so would likely be a lower percentage.

I voted 3 but really feel strongly that I have quite a bit of 5 mixed in.

I definitely like to stay under the radar so that's a 3 but contributing to society with my time and talent (and my limited treasure) are high on the list of things I do now that I'm FIREd.

How about #3 for the first million and #5 for everything else. I can live on a million and make it work.. that gives me the ability to be me and everything above that is money that can be shared over my lifetime... that pays for cash contributions and gas/tolls/parking and supplies for volunteering.

thousandaire

I am hanging in your corner. Despite forum friends in past trying to make me feel better by saying I am multiple millionaire very easily when accounting for my pension... But I cant use that "funny math" since I don't see it in my bank accounts. Therefore I am banned from voting, but thankfully not banned from posting in the thread. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like that one the best! Although I also like to create art.
I would think the least popular one on this board would be No.2 --the Coolionaire.

None of the above.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people with net worth of a million or more got there by living frugally, like the stories of the college janitor that dies and leaves a large bequest to the school. Of course, as we all know, a million bucks isn't what it used to be. My wife and I still split meals, her car is eleven years old and I get more of a thrill finding a bargain at a flea market or thrift store than paying retail at Needless Markup (Neiman Marcus).

3 with a slightly re-defined 1:

1. Thrillionaires "enjoy the things and experiences that money can buy ... For them, wealth is the means to privacy, pleasure, and memorable experiences."

Small change. I do enjoy buying what ever I decide to buy, but mostly little things and not real expensive. We enjoy travel and an occasional meal at an upscale restaurant (Red Lobster :) )

Number three with a bit of number one now that I'm retired and able to discover what I was missing while working.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom