Poll-- Who is already retired?

Retired or Not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cardude

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just wondering what the percentage is...........Let's say semi-retired = retired if you work 2 hours per day or less, or a max of 10 hours per week.

What about the semi-retired people? Do you consider them retired or not retired?

Let's call semi-retired retired if you work 2 hours or less per day, on average, or 10 hours per week max. Is that reasonable?

Let's call semi-retired retired if you work 2 hours or less per day, on average, or 10 hours per week max. Is that reasonable?
Well, it's your poll, so your definition. :)

In my opinion I'd call it "retired" if you are financially independent to the point where the FIRE numbers still work even without a part-time income -- in other words, you're still semi-w*rking because you *want* to and not because you *have* to.

Regardless of how many hours a week you work, if you went from full time work to part time work you are semi-retired.

If you were fully retired then began working part time again, you should be called semi-unretired. :)

FYI, before you vote, this looks like the kind of poll with public results. If you look at the results, you can see who voted which way.

In my opinion I'd call it "retired" if you are financially independent to the point where the FIRE numbers still work even without a part-time income -- in other words, you're still semi-w*rking because you *want* to and not because you *have* to.

Yeah, but if you work all the time (even if you love it) then you can't really enjoy the leisure time and other benefits offered by retirement.

I clicked "Retired," though I still have two more weeks at w_rk.

Me.me, me!!! I'm retired as of last month, and have not stopped bragging about it at every chance I get. :whistle:

FYI, before you vote, this looks like the kind of poll with public results. If you look at the results, you can see who voted which way.
Who cares? I'm glad I'm retired and willing to admit the crime to anybody! :LOL: ...

No, and not semi-retired, or retired but have a part time job (regardless of how many hours). It's sort of like being pregnant - either you are, or you aren’t :whistle: ...

I said NOT but I have retired from Air National Guard after 20 yrs service (although I get no $$ until 60)

Meanwhile I have 23.5 years in the Fed Gov and 14.5 to go .....

Definitely FIREd and just loving it. :D
"Official retirement" does not happen for me for another 5 years until I file my papers at age 56 in accordance with FERS MRA+10 deferred retirement rules.

Who cares? I'm glad I'm retired and willing to admit the crime to anybody! :LOL: ...

No, and not semi-retired, or retired but have a part time job (regardless of how many hours). It's sort of like being pregnant - either you are, or you aren’t :whistle: ...

I understand this viewpoint. But, just tossing out another view here. I work about 6 - 8 hours a week. I teach 3 hobby classes a week. If I did this as volunteer work, I assume everyone would consider me retired.

In addition to some extra income, which is always nice, there are a few positives to this work. It provides some social life for me - I am pretty much a homebody and not always all that inclined to get out. It gives me a good feeling when I help someone (I know, I could probably get this from volunteering as well). And finally, it gives me a legitimate way to keep certain family members from monopolizing my time for their benefit. This may sound a little negative, and perhaps it is, but I did not RE so others in my family could assume that I am always available to do their bidding. With these particular members, I don't tell them what my schedule is, just that it varies every week and, um, well, I have to work at whatever time it is they need me to run some particular errand for them. :whistle:

Never, ever, EVER going to become a wage slave again, even if it was the end of the world.

I checked not retired, although I earned my KMA hat a while back.

Surprisingly, I find I don't mind this job. Perhaps because it is optional and I know it. This time of year I wouldn't be doing anything else anyway and when the weather gets decent again I'll ask to cut back to part time. With all the snow piled high it looks like it might be May before I can ride the motorcycle again.

Molly is retired ....BUT..........fell off the wagon and had a couple of short term gigs (weeks) that yielded some income.

Happy Mardi Gras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dat's fun.

Back
Top Bottom