Poll-- Who is already retired?

Retired or Not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I retired in November, 2008, at age 45. I am sooo glad I don't have to haul my sorry a$$ to my old office any more, especially in the terrible weather here in New York the last few days.

I do some volunteer work and have some hobbies, but those are the things I want to do and enjoy doing and for the most part don't have to answer to anyone (and they are local, too; no long trips in bad weather).

I have earned about $200 since I retired, some of which from my volunteer work (the school Scrabble teacher/coaches throw $25 at me when I run a tourney or other big all-day event. A neighbor in my building gave me $100 to clean up her PC after it had become badly infected with viruses and spyware, slowing it to a crawl.

Nope, you're still safe and soundly retired. It's for the gas tank, not you. :D
Agreed.

I had an elderly person give me a $50 "Christmas Gift" while delivering meals (my volunteer "work"). While I was quite surprised, I really did not want to keep the money.

However, I did not want to offend them by refusing the card/cash. To get around the "moral" implication, I simply gave it to the local meals-on-wheels program as an anonymous contribution...

Retired april 07 at the ripe old age of 54. love it and wish I could have done it sooner. not rich, we get by and enjoy life.

It doesn't say much for our credibility, but it's typical for this board to be able to generate over 50 posts of debate on the definition of "retired"...

... and still not arrive at a consensus.

Whatever it is, I've been doing it for a tad under eight years.

I guess if that is what is considered "retired" then I am not in that sense.

But nothing feels better than getting up and watching the other half and the kids get off to school around 0730 and being able to sit around and do a college course (free I might add because of GI Bill and I get $500 extra a month for doing it), and then around 2ish go to the baseball field and coach high schoolers baseball for 3 hours or so.

Then if I "work" like this weekend...go in at 0700, get the carts out of the barn, count money, open the doors, get golfers out the door, and then get relieved at 1pm.

If that is not retired, then I don't ever want to know what work is again!

Considering I get paid $2100 for coaching (3 months) and $7.80/hr at the golf course, I think I get paid for doing something I love!

So I consider myself semi-retired, since I am doing fun stuff and getting paid to do it.....

Oh yea...forgot about my basketball refeering I do also ($25 for middle school, $36 for JV, and $51 for Varsity). Made close to $2,000 for getting exercise and taking a little grief from coaches and fans! :mad:

All in all...I have never been happier!!! :whistle:

:angel:
Who is already retired?

...and here I thought it was a simple and direct question...silly me...:angel:

You should know by now that there is no such thing as a simple question around here!:D

As for me, I am unequivocally not retired...

By the way I was being totally facetious when I asked whether semi-retired people should be considered retired or not retired. I don't care either way :angel:.

I had to vote not retired, even though I am retired from DoD. However, I am employed full time, collecting a salary, but I am not actually doing any work as I have an employment agreement that requires my employer to pay me whether or not there is actual work to do. So it's up to them to send me work - I guess I am on contingency, but get paid either way. I know this won't keep up forever and I keep asking for something to do, but it sure is fun while it lasts.

You should know by now that there is no such thing as a simple question around here!:D

By the way I was being totally facetious when I asked whether semi-retired people should be considered retired or not retired. I don't care either way :angel:.
But look at all of the different opinions and definitions that have sallied forth.
I'm surely enjoying the read. ;)

Yes...there are no simple questions around here that's for sure!

Now, how do we describe w*rk? For instance I paint my house, toil over clipping coupons and will bend over to pick up a quarter in the street...

...does this mean I'm not retired? :LOL:

Hmmm....:blink:

Yes...there are no simple questions around here that's for sure!

Now, how do we describe w*rk? For instance I paint my house, toil over clipping coupons and will bend over to pick up a quarter in the street...

...does this mean I'm not retired? :LOL:

Hmmm....:blink:
An opening only a techno-geek would drool over...irresistible...:LOL:...

Definition of Work in Physics...When a Force acts to move an object, we say that Work was done on the object by the Force.

See the pretty color pictures at Definition of Work

Retired here, as of about 6 weeks ago (jan. 1st), at age 54 1/2. Love it, love it, love it. Heading to the Florida panhandle on monday for a couple weeks with my wife. Headed to NW Ontario in June for a fly-in fishing trip. Next winter, we are planning a two-month stay down in Florida somewhere (bringing our dog). Looking forward to a very busy summer here at home........gardening, fishing, kayaking, hiking, camping, etc, etc.. For the first time in my life, I get to set the agenda! I also have several volunteer commitments lined up that will keep me as busy as I want to be this coming year.

Attachments

• squirrels.jpg
    squirrels.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 78
An opening only a techno-geek would drool over...irresistible...:LOL:...
Definition of Work in Physics...When a Force acts to move an object, we say that Work was done on the object by the Force.
Wow, hey, we're making progress!

OK, next question: Should I pay off my mortgage or invest the money?

And after that: Define net worth... is my home equity included?

First answer..send ME the money. :D

Second answer...I'm sure someone here will hammer out :bat: an equitable solution.

Second answer:

Net worth: This net's worth is $2.90. It does not appear to include home equity. :LOL:

Attachments

• networth.JPG
    networth.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 2
What about this...

1) Retired Military :angel:

2) Coach Basketball and Baseball for 3 hours max per day (November-Apr) :blush:

3) Part-Time work at local golf course 10 hours max per week (Nov-Apr):LOL:

4) Part-Time work at local golf course 30 hours max per week (May-Oct):ROFLMAO:

I don't consider any of this "work":nonono:...It is more of a fun thing to do to make money. :whistle:

That is retired. Getting paid to do "work" at a golf course is just gloating. (This from a non-golfer.)

Retired here since age 53. It has been almost 4 years. Where has the time gone? I have not worked since retirement.

Official retirement date: 31 Dec 2004.

I will work no more forever.

I don't even do volunteer stuff (though I do send money).

I pay people to do housework and yard work.

Back
Top Bottom