Promising Editorial On SS "Are Benefits Safe" from AARP Bulletin 11-2018

My father had full benefits at 65. I got them at 66, so I didn't get the deal my dad did. I expect my children's deal will be slightly worse than mine - full benefits in the area of 68 to 70. What else is new? That's one reason I initiated the 'Daddy Match' to their Roth IRA contributions.

Last edited:
My father had full benefits at 65. I got them at 66, so I didn't get the deal my dad did. I expect my children's deal will be slightly worse than mine - full benefits in the area of 68 to 70. ...

But... based on average longevity if you start at FRA then you will collect retirement benefits longer than your Dad did and your children start at 68 or 69 then they will likely collect benefits longer than you.... and it is those number of years collecting benefits that strains the system.

IOW, is the more relevant way to look at FRA the number of years one works or the number of years that one is collecting benefits? Given changes in longevity, I think the latter is a better way to define FRA.

Last edited:
Phase the whole thing out over the next generation.

Replace it with letting folks provide for their own retirement.

If they fail at this (and many will), then they get a basic subsistence amount so no need starve.

Last edited:
Not sure how old you are but not so much for me. The rate has been 6.2% since 1990 and ~80% of my career earnings have been subject to that 6.2% rate (85% of the FICA tax that I paid over my career was at that 6.2% rate)... the FRA change is only an additional 10 months (67 vs 66 and 2 months... their FRA is 1.3% longer than mine).

The younger folks indeed are paying more in, at least percentage-wise, than geezers did and will have to wait longer for FRA according to your numbers. When will the transfer of wealth end? When it's all been transferred I guess..........

That's ridiculous. I guess if you consider waiting 1.3% longer significant enough to care about then you have a point.... but that working 10 months longer for benefits is more than offset by them likely having longer longevity than us geezers so they will collect longer.

My father had full benefits at 65. I got them at 66, so I didn't get the deal my dad did. I expect my children's deal will be slightly worse than mine - full benefits in the area of 68 to 70. What else is new? That's one reason I initiated the 'Daddy Match' to their Roth IRA contributions.

Yep.......

I have pro and con opinions about the AARP and their advertised mission. One of the cons is that they, because of the magnitude of the Boomer bubble and all the votes we represent, have been advocating for generational wealth transfers. I'm just more comfortable with more of a "take care of yourself" agenda (with humanitarian safety nets of course).

That's ridiculous. I guess if you consider waiting 1.3% longer significant enough to care about then you have a point.... but that working 10 months longer for benefits is more than offset by them likely having longer longevity than us geezers so they will collect longer.

I suspect you wouldn't want to push your FRA out ten months though...........

I just don't get the argument that youngsters need to do more to offset the troublesome upcoming worker/retiree ratio caused by us Boomers. Let 'em alone. We can hitch up our britches and fend for ourselves.

Last edited:
Not sure how old you are but not so much for me. The rate has been 6.2% since 1990 and ~80% of my career earnings have been subject to that 6.2% rate (85% of the FICA tax that I paid over my career was at that 6.2% rate)... the FRA change is only an additional 10 months (67 vs 66 and 2 months... their FRA is 1.3% longer than mine).

In 2011 and 2012, the employee's tax rate was 4.2 %. I had the dates wrong in a previous post.

I suspect you wouldn't want to push your FRA out ten months though...........

I just don't get the argument that youngsters need to do more to offset the troublesome upcoming worker/retiree ratio caused by us Boomers. Let 'em alone. We can hitch up our britches and fend for ourselves.

I wouldn't want to now that I am just a few years away, but if it had been set 10 months longer back when they made the changes in the 1980s then it would not have been any big deal.

I don't get that you think that we are asking youngsters to do more to offset the boomer caused problem. And you are totally ignoring the strain on the system as a result of better longevity so people are collecting for longer than the tax rates were designed for... that is why FRAs need to be expanded. The more important thing is how long people collect and less so how long people work and contribute.

Isn't it funny how there are always concerns about Social Security, yet welfare and food stamps just seem to always have enough funds. So the working people have to worry and those who don't...don't. Interesting.

You think welfare and food stamps have "enough"?

I wouldn't want to now that I am just a few years away, but if it had been set 10 months longer back when they made the changes in the 1980s then it would not have been any big deal.
It's never a big deal when it doesn't impact YOU. ;) I get it. I know how you're thinking about it.
I don't get that you think that we are asking youngsters to do more to offset the boomer caused problem. And you are totally ignoring the strain on the system as a result of better longevity so people are collecting for longer than the tax rates were designed for... that is why FRAs need to be expanded. The more important thing is how long people collect and less so how long people work and contribute.

Because many of the suggestions, such as increasing the FRA, are asking youngsters to do more to offset the boomer caused problem.

Perhaps this whole thread would be more interesting and meaningful if the suggested fixes were limited to those that would impact the person making the suggestion. It's always popular to have someone else pay the bill for something you're benefiting from, I get that.

Last edited:
^^^ So if when I was working and subject to the cap and thought that one solution was to raise or eliminate the cap and even expressed that view publicly it counts, but the moment that I retire so that change would not impact me because I am no longer working it doesn't count.

One of the craziest posts that I have seen since joining.

^^^ So if when I was working and subject to the cap and thought that one solution was to raise or eliminate the cap and even expressed that view publicly it counts, but the moment that I retire so that change would not impact me because I am no longer working it doesn't count.
It would count less with me because when it comes to paying taxes and collecting gov't benefits, I like to hear from folks with skin in the game. Just point to where you suggested the cap increase while you were working (although likely little impact on you since you were near the end of your working days). Or hell, I'll just believe you (a really "crazy" leap of faith!) if you say that's the case.
One of the craziest posts that I have seen since joining.

It's not really crazy to be more interested in opinions and suggestions from folks who have some skin in the game as opposed to those who simply want to have their hand in the pocket of others.

In any case, it's all just blaah, blaah, blaah for now as the politicians figure out who to screw and who to win over in order to best keep themselves employed. And that'll likely take a while.

Last edited:
Seems to me the title of this thread: "Promising Article About SS" has been lost along the way here.

The past 100+ or so posts haven't sounded very encouraging.

Seems to me the title of this thread: "Promising Article About SS" has been lost along the way here.

Maybe there are more "Glass Half Empty" folks than Full folks here. I still choose to remain encouraged as any outcome will probably not affect me much either way.

Last edited:
To me that's an easy one, we all choose where to live. It's not the role of government to factor in individual cost of living IMO. If you live in NYC, you know what you're in for financially and folks in Alabama shouldn't subsidize your choice.

There are far more people living in NYC than Alabama, and they are making far more money on average, so they are paying far more into Social Security on average, and so yes, those freeloaders in Alabama shouldn't be subsidized by the people living in NYC.

Maybe there are more "Glass Half Empty" folks than Full folks here. I still choose to remain encouraged as any outcome will probably not affect me much either way.

Me too.
I remain of a mind that this will eventually get sorted out with minimal impact. At least to those current beneficiaries.
Just keep the checks coming boys, ok?

I think that the discussion shows that there are many options to fix it, and that the fix will just be a political negotiation between the generations.

I think that the discussion shows that there are many options to fix it, and that the fix will just be a political negotiation between the generations.

Yes, but the article implied that while not perfect, things were in pretty good shape with just some tweaking along the way.

Then, all these concerns (some real, some unfounded, some off topic, some philosophical) came out of the woodwork.

Because many of the suggestions, such as increasing the FRA, are asking youngsters to do more to offset the boomer caused problem.
Kind of like the boomers did to offset the "problem" their parents "caused"?

As far as young folks paying for us old folks, well... SS is not the real problem. The real problem is the HUGE deficits we are running year after year after year. SS could be completely fixed and 100% monetarily neutral tomorrow, and they would keep running up huge deficits, IMHO. What happened to all the Deficit Hawks?

If I remember correctly, all the Deficit Hawks voted to increase the deficit last year. Some of them chattered about "going after entitlements" afterwards, but that died down as the mid-term elections approached. So it goes.

Last edited:
As I said in post #167, “...views of fairness will likely vary.” So, although your views on this are IMO well reasoned, they are very different than mine. Here’s how someone with my view reads the points in your post:

I think we should look at "fair" from both sides of the issue. Is it fair to tell workers who struggle to earn ... Answer: Yes, because that’s always been the basis of the SS formulas; those who earn more will get more (but, less proportional to their income...in the interest of fairness).

Or to tell them they have to live up to a "commitment" that somebody else made ... Answer: Yes. Since we’re all arguing for change to the SS system, albeit different changes, change is a given. So, “they” have to live with risk of change like others before them. I’m simply arguing against last minute changes as being the most unfair.

I don't think it is "fair" to expect the taxpayers to make up all the difference. Answer: We’re all taxpayers, even retired people.

I don't think this problem should come as a surprise to the older generation. Answer: If I’m retired or nearing retirement, it certainly does come as a surprise; more appropriately, it’s what our word loving lawyer friends would call an ‘unfair surprise’ meaning one didn’t have time to react.

We've known about this for a long time, Red herring.

Flemming ...
Answer: Agreed. Justices are word people. But, the SS law is words, not numbers. And, my read of Fleming & dissents (I’m not a lawyer) is that the justices were having essentially the same “fairness” discussion that we’re having here. BTW, ‘majority’ does not mean ‘right.’ It simply means ‘majority’ at the time; think Dred Scott.
I cut out some of my words to save bytes.

I'll do the easy ones first.
"taxpayers" in that third paragraph refers to workers paying the SS payroll tax, both now and in the future. I don't think all the burden of modifying SS should fall on the tax side.

"Flemming". As I understand it, the law of the land is whatever the last SC ruling says it is. (I agree with you that I've found certain past rulings very bad.) Today's legal precedent is that congress can change the law, even relative to current beneficiaries.

You think that Douglas has a good argument and some future court may overturn that precedent. I'm not impressed by what he wrote. But, I don't think I'll speculate on what the SC might do in the future.

Regarding the harder stuff. I want to combine the discussion above into three decisions.

1) Since we have to make changes to SS taxes and/or benefits, should all of those changes be increased taxes, or should some of them be decreased benefits?
I prefer some reduction in benefits. I think SS is a good program, I like the paygo structure, I want to keep it. But, IMO it is bigger than it needs to be. I don't want to lock in the current benefit structure and just let it take a bigger share of GDP as the population ages.

2) If we're going to reduce some benefits, how do we do that?
I see SS as an income transfer program. It takes money from some people and gives it to others. I can support some gov't income transfer programs. I think in general, these programs should take from those with more and give to those with less. I see a conflict between that general belief and the current SS benefit formula.

I look at other programs that help the "everybody", not just the needy - Medicare, schools, police. None of these have special formulas to make sure the people who pay more tax get more benefits. I don't think SS should be the exception.

Therefore, I don't like reducing benefits by changing COLA or by increasing the FRA. Both of those impact low income people by the same percent as high income people, that's not the direction I want to go. (We sometimes say we need to raise the FRA because people are living longer. But note that higher income people are living longer, not lower income people.)

I think we should adjust the PIA formula. I mentioned "progressive price indexing" as one way to do that. I could discuss a faster system, but that's more words.

Two of the arguments for keeping the current structure are "we've always done it this way" and "the current approach is politically popular. Both of those are true statements, but I'm not trying to be politically popular, and some sort of change is a certainty.

3) If we're going to reduce benefits, how/when do we start?
You say it is too late to make changes to benefits for anyone over age ___ (we haven't tried to fill in the blank) because they will be an "unfair surprise".
I've quoted the warning on the front page of my 2001 SS statement. It's pretty blunt - SS Trust Fund exhausted by 2037, only 72 percent, need to make changes. Similar warnings year after year. And, I think people who vote should follow the news, at least a little. Clinton had a high profile commission in 1993, Bush had one in 2001, Obama in 2010.

I think changes to SS are a surprise only to the extent that people have assumed that "somebody else" would have to bite the bullet.

I know that one of the concerns about cutting benefits is "old people will starve". Note that I'm not recommending that we cut benefits on low income people. No COLA adjustment or increased FRA for me.

OTOH, I realize there are limits. The PPI above only applies to future retirees. I could talk about something that would impact current retirees, but anything on those lines would be gradual and limited.

I hope that covers everything in the post I quoted, even though I didn't go through it point by point.

From Wikipedia:

“Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes. Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security.“
Assuming that this is a true statement, 25 to 50 percent do not pay federal, state or local taxes. And of those who do pay taxes, how many are paid partly under the table? I lived in San Diego for a while, and there was always a ready pool of illegal immigrant workers ready to be hired for cash 'day jobs', which were mostly labor such as doing yard work, painting, helping with construction projects, etc.

Anyone who buys gas pays federal taxes, as do those who buy groceries. Since the illegal immigrants can not legally obtain a SSN, they cannot pay social security taxes into the system under thier own SSN (but can use anothers). They can apparently obtain a ITIN instead, and pay taxes.

If the number of illegal immigrants is unkown, and their incomes are unkown, how can you calculate the % that do or don't pay Federal Income Taxes? Interestingly, illegal immigrans in 2010 reportedly paid $12B more into SS than were paid out in benefits, which makes sense, since they're ineligible to receive benefits.

A quote from the Bipartisan Policy Center: "At the heart of this issue of undocumented immigrants and taxes is the fact that U.S. immigration and taxation laws are misaligned. Agencies are singularly focused on their own mandates: the IRS is interested in maintaining a broad tax base and collecting all taxes owed to the government, regardless of the source, whereas immigration enforcement officials want to enforce the law against unauthorized work. Meanwhile, other actors within the system, including employers and workers, are doing the same. Addressing these conflicting interests would require legislative change and implicate millions of taxpayers, which means the current state of affairs will likely prevail for the foreseeable future."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom