< 11% 2 1.19%
< 12% 0 0%
12 or more% 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

0.9% of appraised value
6% sales tax (2% grocery food items)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 02:05 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania. Property has not been re-assessed here since 1972 and does not get re-assessed on sale. As a result, assessments represent less than 10% of fair market value. My taxes are 15% of assessed value and about 1% of fair market value.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:48 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

California - .36% of market value due to Prop 13.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder what the impact of Prop 13 has been on property values. Always got to be wary of those pesky unintended consequences.

At first blush it seems that Prop 13 would discourage people from selling, restricting supply and given the same demand prices would go up.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
It sounds like you are paying way too much. In PA property taxes are complicated. There's county tax, school tax, and other taxes. Go to your county and township websites and find out what your tax rate should be, the mil rate that is. Then look at your tax bills and see what you are paying. There must be a mistake somewhere. In our township, we pay about 2.5% between township and school taxes.

An example: In 2010 we went through reassessment and realized our house was over assessed by 25%, as well as most of the houses. Our county used a faulty formula. We had our house appraised for tax purposes, submitted a report to the county, and had our taxes reduced significantly. The folks working at the assessor office also live here. They were amazingly cooperative. I remember lines out the door that year in the assessor's office due to the mistake. Some people I know didn't seem to care. We did. We spent a few hundreds and saved thousands.

You're right. My mistake. For some reason I had $4,500 in my mind, but I checked, and the taxes were only $3,700 last year. So.... the real percentages would be.... 7.5% of assessed value. And 2.3% of market value.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

1.5% of assessed value which approximates FMV (based on the neighborhood and Zillow). Greensboro NC

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wonder what the impact of Prop 13 has been on property values. Always got to be wary of those pesky unintended consequences.

At first blush it seems that Prop 13 would discourage people from selling, restricting supply and given the same demand prices would go up.
It definitely has a lock in effect that keeps people from moving -

The Lock-in Effect of California's Proposition 13

Transaction costs are high to move and long time owners lose Prop 13 benefits except for narrow exception cases. The median home price in San Francisco is $1.1M, so a 6% realtor fee alone would be $66K.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seattle Suburb,1.33% Property Tax, 9.5% Sales Tax, 0% Income, $80 per vehicle tax
Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
In California, the base rate is 1 percent. With all the fees, parcel taxes, and other silliness it's a little over 1.5 percent. That does not include the garbage bill, which the City managed to attach to the property tax bill.
Our Garbage bill is separate, but if you end up being delinquent they can put a lean against your home.

Also in CA so the rest is the same as yours. Also note in CA, it can not go up by more than 3% a year. In our area, somewhere around 2010, 2011 they were "temporarily" lowered because of the drastic drop in property values. When a home is sold, a new starting appraisal value is begun.

cd :O)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
Our Garbage bill is separate, but if you end up being delinquent they can put a lean against your home.

Also in CA so the rest is the same as yours. Also note in CA, it can not go up by more than 3% a year. In our area, somewhere around 2010, 2011 they were "temporarily" lowered because of the drastic drop in property values. When a home is sold, a new starting appraisal value is begun.

It's a 2% a year cap.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #71

Sarasota County, Florida: 1.3% of assessed value
Hometown, suburb of Columbus, Ohio: 2.5% of assessed value - ouch!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
It's a 2% a year cap.
You are correct. I was thinking of our 3% growth limits where I live.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #73
Confused about dryer sheets

Michigan assesses real property at 50% of true cash (appraised) value.

House is assessed at 108k with annual taxes about $2,800.
2.6% on assessed value or 1.4% of true cash value
Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #74

Our property taxes on based on the year the home was built and does not change when sold. So for a 50 yo home that is worth 300k we pay 700.00/year. We paid more when we lived in a newer home. We completely re-did this home but it doesn't matter.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #75

Versus % of home value, as assessed or market value, isn't the real issue of taxes of any kind the percent of living expenses? Market/assessed value for the same house in various locations can be 5x, 10x different. So percent of value becomes rather meaningless imo.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Versus % of home value, as assessed or market value, isn't the real issue of taxes of any kind the percent of living expenses? Market/assessed value for the same house in various locations can be 5x, 10x different. So percent of value becomes rather meaningless imo.
There is no perfect standard of measurement. Say I live in new subdivision of cookie cutter homes; unlike my median income neighbors, I choose to have very high living expenses due to extensive international travel, weekly purchases of $5000 handbags for DW, cocaine for breakfast, and $800 wines each lunch and dinner. By your metric, my [property] taxes are far less than theirs, even though we are paying the same amount....

(Of course, the bigger question would be whether I'd die quickly enough to maintain that spend rate!)

E.T.A. bracketed word.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
By your metric, my [property] taxes are far less than theirs, even though we are paying the same amount....
Yes, they are far less. Same amount is meaningless relative to % of expenses as I see it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #78

This survey may be of interest to people considering moving.

Good info in any respect, it's the real deal from real people.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 1% here. $1500 on our $147k house. That's fair market value as of the last assessment on Jan 1 2016. We lucked out because the market in our neighborhood is on fire and the house is probably worth closer to $180-200k today (yay gentrification!!). No readjustment for 8 more years

It's been pretty steady at 1% of appraised value for the past 13 years. We're in the city, so we're paying more than county residents that pay closer to .6-.7%. Of course we get water, sewer, trash, paved streets, fast police and fire response times, parks and recreation facilities (including discounted user fees), etc. Can't say I'm sad to pay that $600 in city taxes.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #80

Oops, I voted for 2% and then recalculated... guess my property tax bill has decreased a bit more than I thought. Actually closer to 1.8% in Waukesha Cty, WI. Can I vote twice for this poll and skip the presidential election??