Votes: 2 1.2%
  • < 12%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 or more%

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CT Mill rates are high. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>. I watched this on possibly appealing my assessed value. has anyone done so?

CT rates. OPM: Mill Rates Im considering permanently moving to FL.

$4400+ on appraised value of $183K in Strafford County N.H. Effective tax rate is close to 2.6%. No sales or income tax in NH, except for state Dividend and Interest tax of 5% on earnings over $2400 single and $4800 married.

My old home in Wheeling, IL (NW Chicago burb) was $8500 on $330K or 2.5%
( The home owners discount in Cook county isn't a flat discount but skewed based on # of years you owned that specific house, and if you were in the house more than 30 years there was a "special extra discount" which I wasn't)

My new home in Raleigh,NC is 1%, $1650 on $165K.

Assessed value $110,650 tax rate 7.0653 tax bill $7816, BUT they made an error and reassessed so it will be $10.8 Illinois... sigh

In the Valley, within city limits, we are taxed 2.56% of appraised value. With caps we are paying slightly under that - 2.35% this year.

Houses are usually cheap in TX unless you are in the middle of a major suburban area - so that's one way to keep the property tax down.

$6200 on assessment of $282k home in Dallas TX...2.2%. Based on the purchase price last year. We bought low (& distressed) to not over pay for the area... just finished my updates and could likely get 20-30% after expenses & realtor fees.

Island County in Washington state. 1% of assessed value (50% of it going to school district). Sales tax is 8.7% and no state income tax (yet).

Living in an incorporated part of the county, we pay no city taxes. Our 25+ year old modular (aka mobile) home is now assessed at such a low value that we pay $14 as a vehicle tax, and $200 for our 1+ acre property. A regular 2000 sq ft 'stick-built' home on a 1/6 acre slice would have a property tax of about $800.

Our property tax on the house is 0.7% and the assessed value is about equal to market value. We moved from NY to NC and this was one of the major financial benefits. Now with a paid off mortgage, our housing costs annually for a 2600 sq ft home on 3/4 acre with an inground pool = $2255 (prop tax) + $240 (HOA) = $2495 or $207/month.

NC does have sales tax and annual property tax on vehicles. The vehicle taxes are pretty minimal because we don't buy new cars. Its also offset in that there is not a big sales tax on vehicles like in some other states.

Living in an incorporated part of the county, we pay no city taxes. Our 25+ year old modular (aka mobile) home is now assessed at such a low value that we pay $14 as a vehicle tax, and $200 for our 1+ acre property. A regular 2000 sq ft 'stick-built' home on a 1/6 acre slice would have a property tax of about $800.

I think you meant unincorporated. We get this benefit as well.

Poll is closed , but here it goes, after reviewing my tax bill they say Im paying property taxes on a value of 934,000, my bill is $6644.15. OMG, i thought i was at 6200, boo.

A tax rate of $0.69 per hundred is super cheap... around here it is more like $2.00... almost 3x as much.

Poll is closed , but here it goes, after reviewing my tax bill they say Im paying property taxes on a value of 934,000, my bill is $6644.15. OMG, i thought i was at 6200, boo.

Yeah I was surprised by your comment in that other thread, but this is super low. Our rates are high in DC suburbs of MD (8k on 488k) but I learned not to complain about taxes to any of my colleagues in NJ since they were paying so much more than me. We do have some caps on tax rate increases. I am starting to fear removal of the federal deduction for state taxes which has been mentioned but not in any detail.

Yeah I was surprised by your comment in that other thread, but this is super low. Our rates are high in DC suburbs of MD (8k on 488k) but I learned not to complain about taxes to any of my colleagues in NJ since they were paying so much more than me. We do have some caps on tax rate increases. I am starting to fear removal of the federal deduction for state taxes which has been mentioned but not in any detail.

Yeah I have a few friends that went to Jersey. They bought huge beautiful homes, with property(im on 30 x 100 feet). They are paying thru the nose.:LOL:

A tax rate of $0.69 per hundred is super cheap... around here it is more like $2.00... almost 3x as much.

We pay around 2.2 here but property costs are lower.

Age has benefits here in Illinois... Between the homestead exemption, and the senior tax freeze, out rate calculates out to $.51/hundred.

FWIW... this doesn't automatically happen, and we might not have filed, except we got advice as how and what to do. Here's an older website that explains Homestead Exemption, Senior Homestead Exemption, and Senior Tax Price Freeze for our county in Illinois.

http://www.mywebtimes.com/news/local/do-you-have-your-property-tax-exemptions/article_71234f86-c9cc-5014-86d8-de01190d49d8.html

Do you have this in your area?

Last edited:
If I moved to Florida, Im going to go for less house.

Lot of variability in FL based on county-level commitments. May not need to go for less house.

Paid about 2% of AV before carve outs in SoFla, and half that in the Panhandle. Broward has high social welfare and school costs compared to other parts of the state. No obvious benefit from the higher taxes in my situation.

I pay 1.38% of estimated market value. (Depending on the area, assessed value can be a complete fiction.) This is a suburb of KC.

We have some property tax relief for seniors but I'm too rich to qualify.:(

Lot of variability in FL based on county-level commitments. May not need to go for less house.

Paid about 2% of AV before carve outs in SoFla, and half that in the Panhandle. Broward has high social welfare and school costs compared to other parts of the state. No obvious benefit from the higher taxes in my situation.

Thank you. I will remember this, and will do my homework before we flee.

According to the county my home and property (7.5 acres) are valued at $341,855 but I am assessed on $161,763 because I have farm and timber deferral. I pay $2,136.22.
Kind of a joke because there are two acres of bad bare land (steep down hill slope so unusable, home site would have to be close to the road) for sale for $375,000. I think they have my land undervalued.....not that I am complaining. I would guess the the true value of my property is about $550,000.

Yep, gotta watch those "no income tax" states....

Originally Posted by FlaGator:

Yep, gotta watch those "no income tax" states....

True. Heard once it doesn't matter how it's collected, you're still going to pay....

Think the differences are in the level of services, especially social welfare, and the efficiency of state and local government. Have found FL to be low on the former and high on the latter. Plus the overall philosophy of "we don't tax ourselves, we tax the tourists!" :)

Probably still ahead of where I had been if I had not moved from CA in 1998.

~1.1% before homestead exemption, which cuts the rate in half. Northern AL.

Back
Top Bottom