Purchased I bonds previously, wondering if now a good time to buy more

I don't think anyone responded to OP's question on whether to convert or not. It's a personal decision. I wanted mine all together so I converted. Not a big deal. You will have to go under a different tab to find your converted holdings as they are not lumped in with the bonds purchased online. In fact they didn't even give me the courtesy of an email telling me the process was complete, I just "found them" in a couple of weeks after mailing them. I don't really have a secure place for them either, so I mailed them in.
If you aren't planning on buying many and have a secure spot for them, it may not be worth it to convert. You can immediately cash these bonds at a bank, I believe, if you have them in paper form.

I converted my paper bonds to electronic bonds years ago, and really like the fact that I don't have to worry about paper bonds any more. I also like the fact that you can cash them in with a couple of clicks, and the funds will be in your bank account within a couple of days.

The Treasury Driect site could be a little better, like listing all your assets on one page, instead of having to go to your converted bonds account page, but I'm sure they will make enhancements.

My recommendation is "Just do it"

Back
Top Bottom