Question about entering portfolio into firecalc

Keim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am trying to figure out how to best use the Your Portfolio tab of the calculator. Specifically, I'd like to use the mixed portfolio option. I am an indexer, using a portfolio similar to what is suggested in The 4 Pillars of Investing.

I have Vanguard index funds for :
Total Market
Small value market
Total foreign market
Precious Metals
REITs
Healthcare
Total Bond market

I don't see a good way to enter value, foreign, metals and REITs in. Suggestions?

I don't see a good way to enter value, foreign, metals and REITs in. Suggestions?
If I recall correctly, Dory said there was not enough history on some asset classes to include them in the calculator which is why you find no entry for them in Your Portfolio.

So what do others do? Lump them in with a class that has similar results? Perhaps foreign with small value, etc.?

I think Keim is right----just lump them together. Then too, you need to remember----it is just an approximation.

So what do others do? Lump them in with a class that has similar results? Perhaps foreign with small value, etc.?
Yes, choose whatever you think might be reasonably close.

... you need to remember----it is just an approximation.
Yep, as Dory36 said about his calculator:

It's awfully tempting to try to tweak settings to get the results you want. But keep in mind that a tool like FIRECalc is intended to help you see if your plan pushes too close to the edge, decades from now. You can try 1001 different combinations of investments and timings to see what happens, but don't fall into the trap of measuring something with a micrometer when you'll be cutting it with an axe.

Back
Top Bottom