Quicken 2014

I am running Quicken 2011 on Mac OSX Mavericks and Parallels 9 / windows 7. I have to upgrade to Quicken 2014 before next April but maybe I'll go manual for a few months and wait for Quicken 2015...;)

Wow! Did I speak too quickly. Now it crashes consistently every 30 seconds. What a piece of garbage. Exactly like the reviews on Amazon. How can Intuit still be selling this software?

Back to 2012...

Captive audience .... where else you going to go. I was a long time MS Money until intuit drove them under.

On the Mac, I gave up on Quicken, and moved to iBank. I was able to export some 14 years of records and import them into iBank. Some fiddling about was needed to get brokerage records right (change 'Sell' to 'Sell to close', for example, so the silly thing wouldn't think I was going short against the box.) It took maybe two hours, and has pretty much 'just worked' since then. I did have to learn a new set of quirks, retraining some Quicken keystroke shortcuts to the iBank behaviors. That took a couple of weeks.

On the Mac, I gave up on Quicken, and moved to iBank. I was able to export some 14 years of records and import them into iBank. Some fiddling about was needed to get brokerage records right (change 'Sell' to 'Sell to close', for example, so the silly thing wouldn't think I was going short against the box.) It took maybe two hours, and has pretty much 'just worked' since then. I did have to learn a new set of quirks, retraining some Quicken keystroke shortcuts to the iBank behaviors. That took a couple of weeks.

I went with Moneydance. I transitioned to Quicken from MS Money, so I went through that pain once in the past. For the most part with Moneydance, I started clean, except for adding (manually) investment history. Moneydance doesn't feel as polished, but it's been working well. Plus, it's multi-platform and I don't have to deal with forced upgrades.

Even after I reverted back to Quicken 2012, I could not restore my backup. It kept saying the backup was created by a newer version of Quicken. So I had to go to a several day old backup, which did restore properly, and then reconstruct the missing entries. Long night...

I looked at IBank. The download and conversion of my data went fine and I will play with it over the next 30 days that I have the trial running. At first glance it does not appear nearly as robust as Quicken though. Looking at the specs for Moneydance I think it's probably going to be the same issue.

I am now attempting to create a "cloned" environment of my Windows desktop in Parallels where I can install Quicken 2014 in a test environment and try to figure out why it keeps crashing. I know I'm a glutton for punishment here, but after 20 years with Quicken I'm not quite ready to get divorced yet.

Wow! Did I speak too quickly. Now it crashes consistently every 30 seconds. What a piece of garbage. Exactly like the reviews on Amazon. How can Intuit still be selling this software?

Back to 2012...

It's usually a good idea never to purchase any software (Quicken especially) when they first come out with a new release. Let others work the bugs out.

It's usually a good idea never to purchase any software (Quicken especially) when they first come out with a new release. Let others work the bugs out.

Couldn't agree more, and if I hadn't had the opportunity to buy it for less than $12.00 I'm sure I never would have.

Hmmm...I reinstalled Quicken 2014 today in my test environment figuring I would be able to reproduce the constant crashing, and then call it in to Intuit. However, it hasn't been crashing all morning. Now I'm wondering, was R4 just loaded this morning? If so, that might explain why it was so buggy last night and now seemingly stable.

It's still not perfect though. I ran several file conversions from 2012 to 2014. The first one worked fine, but the second one failed three times. Shutting down Quicken and restarting it allowed it to succeed, but it indicates this is still buggy software.

It's a good thing I have all this free time on my hands. I didn't realize I was signing up to be a software beta tester!

Apparently, Intuit just released a new version of Quicken 2014 that is supposed to solve the crashing issue.

Quicken 2014 Crashes - Quicken Support

Thanks for the link. I had been running Release 3 with no crashes or other problems ever since I installed it. I am running Windows 7 64 bit operation system.

It is strange that I could not find a control within Quicken to update to R 4. I even shut Quicken down and restarted it but no prompt showed up to update.

The link you provided led to a manual update link.

I was running 2011 version and got the discounted Quicken Premier 2014 when I got the TurboTax.

Hmmm...I reinstalled Quicken 2014 today in my test environment figuring I would be able to reproduce the constant crashing, and then call it in to Intuit. However, it hasn't been crashing all morning. Now I'm wondering, was R4 just loaded this morning?

Looks like it...

We have addressed the crash issues in Quicken 2014 with the latest Release (R4) as of 12/4/2013.

R4 does indeed seem more stable. No crashes in the past 24 hours. I now have both 2014 and 2012 running in two separate virtual windows environments, and I have both of them up side by side on the same screen. I have gone through the menus one at a time searching for any differences between the two versions. So far the only meaningful difference I see is that 2014 has a mobile interface whereby you can publish your cash and credit accounts to their cloud service and then view them from your phone or tablet.

However, you can not view any investment accounts through the mobile interface, so I see this being of virtually no use for me, as I can already view all of my accounts using either Personal Capital or Mint.

It appears that Intuit has virtually stopped developing Quicken. They have a substantial amount of market share in a product that every household could possibly find useful. I don't understand why they won't modernize this product and expand its usefulness before someone else finds a way to do so.

In any case, I can't see any reason to upgrade to 2014 unless you have lost your ability to get updates over the internet (2011 or earlier).

Back
Top Bottom