Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It is the worst desktop Personal Finance application, with the exception of all the others. (And I do mean all the others. I've checked them all out, including MoneyDance, and Quicken, as bad as it is - and it is bad - is better is far too many way to give MoneyDance a second though - might as well use Microsoft Excel.)
That might be true when comparing new products against one another. But if you already have a system that works for you (in my case using decade old MS Money +Excel) you're probably better off sticking with the devil you know. Upgrading to Quicken wasn't an improvement. In fact, it's made things harder in a lot of respects.

I'd go back to the old way but but after spending the past year trying to get Quicken to work properly, I'd have to manually input a year's worth of transactions back in to that ancient software . . . it might just be worth it, though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was so shocked when I tried the newer Quicken for Mac. Useless! A total jumble and so restrictive.

As long as my 2007 keeps working, I'll use it. It still does correct downloading of transactions, and the reporting is extensive. I keep my fingers crossed.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just continue to use Quicken 2010 @ my Linux Mint desktop, It works fine (of course, I have to do manual entry but I have few funds and maybe a dozen checks and deposits a month - easy peasy to do it by hand. And frankly I quite enjoy the manual entry and the confidence I get from manually reconciling to the bank/fund statements.

Quicken 2010 is stable with my current system and as long as it continues to work with Linux Mint I'll continue to use this version.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #24

I've decided to try tracking my 2016 budget with Quicken Premier 2015 (Windows). As noted, you can enter amounts manually or use historical data. In 2015, my spending was extremely unrepresentative of what I expect going forward, so manual is the way to go for me. I haven't tried to budget explicitly before so I'll see how that goes.

I also think that Quicken is the best option in a sea of poor choices and I view upgrading (whether major or minor) with apprehension. My latest experience took out the Lifetime Planner for several months, but I found that while it was nice to have, it wasn't essential for what I want to do.

Same with automatically downloading transactions: I just don't do it. There's a core set of features that Quicken provides that I think are helpful, but with some thought, it's a small set.

I've grown more and more attached to Google Sheets to help me with checking out and planning investments and it fits my needs.

My Quicken version is running on an ancient version of Windows that will be at end-of-life in 2017 and at that point I'll have to decide how to proceed. I read the threads that talk about options and those are useful. I want to get away from Windows for good, but Quicken factors into that. So discussions of things like Parallels and the like are interesting to me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
That might be true when comparing new products against one another. But if you already have a system that works for you (in my case using decade old MS Money +Excel) you're probably better off sticking with the devil you know.
Yes and no. The only things, imho, that make Quicken worthwhile are:
  • Clicking a button and having transactions from three banks, four brokerages, two 401k custodians and five credit card issuers all flow directly into the right slots in the database, complete with cost basis info, transaction fees, etc.;
  • The ability to view current asset allocation even after multi-asset-type mutual funds have changed their own allocation holdings, without having to enter those changes yourself;
  • The ability to see an automatically updated analysis of your probability of being able to afford retirement.
If there is anything else that did it as simply, seamlessly, easily, conveniently, and universally then why use Quicken? But if your current system doesn't do these things, even though it "works for you", it may be improved by Quicken.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Quicken for 20+ years and while see shortcomings, don't see any alternatives and anything even remotely as good (or as bad if you wish) as Quicken (Windows version, Mac is not good at all).

Tried MoneyDance and it could not even d/l investment accounts correctly into a new file !

So what do you guys suggest instead on Quicken? spreadsheet ?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #27

I upgraded to Quicken 2016 Deluxe about a week ago and everything went well, haven't seen any issues yet. The interface looks very similar to the 2013 Deluxe version I upgraded from. I'm a long time Quicken user but after reading some of the negative reports posted it almost seems like I'm using a different product. It's certainly not perfect but well worth the ~$10/year cost IMO.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quicken is horrendous, appalling, and lots of other adjectives that I'm too polite to post -- but I can't live without it. I've looked at the other alternatives but none of them currently meets my needs better than Quicken. As soon as my financial institutions all provide an approved and supported way for me to link my accounts to Personal Capital, I'm jumping ship. Until then, Quicken looks like the best out of a pile of bad options.

I started with Quicken 2010 Premier and then upgraded to 2013 and 2016 respectively. All of those versions have stability issues and the program crashes roughly 1 out of 10 times that I attempt to use it. Both the 2013 and 2016 versions intermittently and mysteriously "lose" my information for one of my banks about once per month. The 2010 and 2013 versions both had issues where duplicate transactions could appear and I needed to manually delete the duplicates. I haven't seen that yet with 2016 so I'm crossing my fingers My favorite bug in the 2013 version is that the summary totals for your accounts do not always match the totals if you go into each account and manually add up the transactions there. That drove me nuts for hours one morning. Finally I restarted Quicken and the summaries suddenly matched the expected values. Ouch. Oh, and I needed to manually rebuild Quicken 2013's database every few months because it sometimes lost the ability to update the prices for some ETFs that I own. After rebuilding the database, the ETF price updates start working.

Other than that, I love Quicken

-Fean
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean View Post
As soon as my financial institutions all provide an approved and supported way for me to link my accounts to Personal Capital, I'm jumping ship.
What exactly do see you will be able to achieve using Personal Capital especially compared to Quicken features?

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
What exactly do see you will be able to achieve using Personal Capital especially compared to Quicken features?
The problem isn't features as much as stability, reliability, and trust. I'm perfectly happy with Quicken's features, I simply have lost a lot of trust for it over the last 6 years that I've used it.

The final straw for me was when I realized that the account totals listed on Quicken's main view were not always accurate. The totals sometimes (but not always) didn't include transactions that were recently downloaded. I found that restarting Quicken was required for the totals to update even though the transaction register clearly showed the "missing" transactions before the restart. My procedure now is to manually restart Quicken every time I perform the 1-step update procedure. That's just wrong...I need to be able to trust my financial aggregator. How many people would use Excel if it randomly used the wrong formulas on some cells?

My (probably misguided) hope is that Personal Capital is a reliable equivalent to Quicken. I haven't heard of any horror stories about Personal Capital and every review I've seen of it is pretty glowing. As a bonus, Personal Capital is free.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean View Post

My (probably misguided) hope is that Personal Capital is a reliable equivalent to Quicken. I haven't heard of any horror stories about Personal Capital and every review I've seen of it is pretty glowing. As a bonus, Personal Capital is free.
I understand with the "Quicken sucks" part and it's cool

I am not sure then Quicken can be compared with Personal Capital, like apples and oranges. And trying understand what you know and I am missing?

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I understand with the "Quicken sucks" part and it's cool

I am not sure then Quicken can be compared with Personal Capital, like apples and oranges. And trying understand what you know and I am missing?
All I want is a utility that aggregates all of my financial info into one place and lets me generate reports covering aspects of that data. Quicken has a great feature set and I'd be happy to stick with them if they were reliable and if Intuit weren't trying to stop Quicken development and sell Quicken to another company.

I've looked at several competitors to Quicken and the one whose grass looks greenest to me is Personal Capital. It lets you aggregate all of your data and analyze it. The extra bells and whistles Personal Capital has (woohoo an Apple watch app!) aren't particularly interesting to me The thing that differentiates Personal Capital from other Quicken competitors to me is that it has a much brighter roadmap and future in my opinion. It has tons of funding ($100M at last count) and a good business model ($1.8B in assets under management) and I think it will still be around in 10 years. I can't say the same thing about other apps like iBank or Moneydance although I hope that they also do well and create a competitive environment.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #33

Without a desktop application that I can utilize disconnected from the Internet, it's a non-starter for me. If I wanted everything online, I'd use Mint.com.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been using Moneydance for three years with no issues. I switched from Quicken and prior to that, MS Money. All of these programs have their own flow, but once you get the hang of it, it works fine. And the few bugs that I did have were fixed pretty quickly. I'd never get that level of support from Intuit (or MS).

I'm glad to be rid of Intuit for tracking my personal finances. They still have me hooked for taxes, but in that case their product is better. Not so much for Quicken (IMO).
Old 01-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Been a Quicken user since the 1990's. Upgraded every 3 to 5 years. Never had any problem with importing past data into the latest version.

I rely upon it to track my finances and to keep an eye on where all the dollars go.

Downloaded Quicken 2016 Deluxe from Amazon a few days ago for $32. Since I'll use that version for several years, ten bucks or less a year is a bargain.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #36

60 days of Quicken 2016 Deluxe, no problems that I didn't create. I stayed away from Q2015.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:46 AM   #37

I started another thread specific to using Quicken on a Mac. I'm not getting much feedback.

Those of you who are happy with Q16, any of you using it on a Mac?
Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I started another thread specific to using Quicken on a Mac. I'm not getting much feedback.

Those of you who are happy with Q16, any of you using it on a Mac?
I am using Q16 in a Windows 7 VM on my Mac. You can download a free Oracle Virtual Box for Mac and use it to create your Windows VM.