Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I remember that you do not use credit cards, and pay in cash. Quicken won't do much for you then. We use credit cards for 99% for our expenses (what we spend in cash is minuscule and not worthwhile to track), and Quicken can download all transactions off the banks, and automatically classifies the expenses for us. For example, it "knows" that what we spent at Safeway is for groceries, and at a Shell station is for gas. If I had to do it by hand, I would not.
I do not buy groceries or gas using cash. I have a trivial number of transactions each month. I can type in a week's transactions faster than typing this post.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I would be lost without quicken. I'm using the H&B 2012 version, which will lose support in April, 2015. We have numerous bank, credit card, credit union and brokerage accounts in two countries and two currencies. I don't download transactions except for dividends and interest from brokerage accounts. Everything else I enter by hand and reconcile at least monthly. Quicken has about 15 years of complete transactions, including cash since I enter those also. My wife started a business last year and we track that through Quicken. Version 2012 is the last one that will sync with PocketQuicken running in my PDA, an excellent app. Unfortunately, next year I will have to decide between abandoning either PocketQuicken or the price downloads.

Running a household is like running a small business. The minimum requirement, in my opinion, is to track everything so that you know just where the money goes. I make a budget every year and track it monthly as the year progresses. I use most of the features, except for tax estimating which I do in Excel. I especially like the ability to download brokerage and bank statements and store them in Quicken.

Quicken has many annoying warts, the result of the lack of competition. If there were a better program I would switch in a minute, but none of the others provides all the functionality and integration. I used to write portfolio accounting software early in my career and could write a program or spreadsheet to replace the basic Quicken functions myself, but frankly I would rather put my head in a bucket of varnish than spend my time writing software for a payback of less than $100 per year. I don't begrudge the developers an annual fee, but for the fact that they have dropped support for PocketQuicken running in my PDA. I would not consider storing my data in somebody's cloud.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It turned out that I just can't stand Quicken, and prefer to do my expense tracking in an Open Office spreadsheet. I *would* have to be different. But the purchase was worthwhile, because now I know.
For me it is definitely a love hate relationship. Many moons ago, I used Managing Your Money until it went away (I did love it though). Then I switches to MS Money. I got annoyed with it, though, particularly the continuing failure to correct known bugs while adding fluff every year. So, I tried Quicken. And, I also hated it. I went back to Money.

When it finally went away (well, wasn't being updated any more), I switched to an early version of You Need a Budget. It has added a lot of functionality over the years but I really love it.

For keeping track of basic spending and for budgeting it really has no peer. It does budgeting differently from everyone else. And, frankly, it just blows them all out of the water.

But, I still ended up buying Quicken again. There are just things that it does that you can't get elsewhere. So I use it for those purposes although I really only use it for the things where I have to use it. Otherwise, I rely on YNAB.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Any reason not to invest in Quicken again?
I have a number of complaints about Quicken, but even with all those problems that leave Quicken still far and away the most effective, efficient and user-friendly means of getting a handle on personal finances (yes, even as compared to Moneydance, at least given my standards and criteria), and its cost is so modest (every three years) that it is a great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I bet they regret abandoning the Mac platform!
I doubt it. Mac OS is still less than 15% of the market and without a complete rewrite of Quicken top-to-bottom the development and maintenance costs for essentially having a second product line are probably far too high.

They really should do that complete rewrite though, run the UI in a browser-like environment so 90% of the code can be used on any platform and then they just need to put their proprietary algorithms and such in a small, easier to maintain, native library.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

New Costco discount on Quicken

Just got an email from Costco showing a $20 discount on Quicken making 2014 Premier $49.99. There's $2.99 S&H additional. Not sure if it's the same discount in store to avoid shipping because the e-mail said "online-only offers."
Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Many moons ago, I used Managing Your Money until it went away (I did love it though).
I'm still using it!

I wanted to come into the current century, but I found out that Quicken does not let you export your data. That's a show-stopper for me. I don't want anybody holding my data hostage for an upgrade.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Just got an email from Costco showing a $20 discount on Quicken making 2014 Premier $49.99. There's $2.99 S&H additional. Not sure if it's the same discount in store to avoid shipping because the e-mail said "online-only offers."
Tada! I just checked. Unless I was going blind, I did not see that discount yesterday. Thanks for mentioning it.

PS. Order already placed, and on its way tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Same here.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

You have to be quick, but Amazon prices change pretty frequently.
I ordered TurboTax Deluxe with State and E-File the other day for $39.99, free shipping.
I notice it's back up to $49.97 now, but keep watching if you want a deeper discount.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #30

It looks to be available from amazon now for 49.99 + free shipping. I think costco has an additional charge for non-members ?

Amazon.com: Quicken Premier 2014 [Download]: Software
Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
It looks to be available from amazon now for 49.99 + free shipping. I think costco has an additional charge for non-members ?

Amazon.com: Quicken Premier 2014 [Download]: Software
Although we are currently members, previously we were permitted to purchase from Costco.com without a membership, plus we could use a regular credit card. I don't know if this varies by state, but that was our experience in CA.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #32

Got an email from amazon today, if anyone still looking it is $29.99 now + shipping ( free shipping over $35)

Amazon.com: Quicken Deluxe 2014 [Download]: Software
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

So, I got Quicken Premier 2014 from Costco for $58.53 including tax+shipping. It appears to run a bit faster than my old copy of Quicken 2011. Have not noticed any new and significant feature yet.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #34

I picked up Quicken Premier 2014 a few months ago as my old version was about to lose the online connectivity which I use daily.

Not too happy with the upgrade. Seems very slow to refresh, fonts are different size in every account and you only get two options...large or small. In the lifetime planner some of the data won't fit in the box and there is no way of making the window larger. Also seem to lose my Wells Fargo connection every time I shut the computer off and have to go in and reactivate the online connection.

So far I'm pretty unhappy with 2014 and if you look on the Quicken site it appears as though a lot of other people are in the same camp.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #35

Most of the reviews have been bad, they would be better off just offering the online services as a standalone subscription and stop putting out useless software updates.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #36

And it gets worse if you have a Mac. I do have Quicken 2014 now running on my Mac, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I just got Quicken Premier 2014 for $49.99 on Amazon (free shipping). I will wait until they work the bugs out before installing it though (running it on a Mac with Parallels). My Quicken 2011 should work until April, I think.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
And it gets worse if you have a Mac. I do have Quicken 2014 now running on my Mac, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I guess this answers my question. I wanted to go "all Mac" - but with Quicken history going back to 1995, I guess I'll have to keep one PC going.

Kindest regards.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Most of the reviews have been bad, they would be better off just offering the online services as a standalone subscription and stop putting out useless software updates.
People bitching about the only piece of software that does all of what it does in one integrated package (which is an accurate description of Quicken Premier) isn't surprising. The online service they have doesn't do many of the things that only Quicken Premier does.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

When a piece of software becomes complicated, bugs are more difficult to find.

Just now, I look at my Quicken screen and see that I have never clicked on the tabs called "Bills", "Planning", and "Property & Debts". I used it mostly for "Investing", and "Spending". If the last two work, I am happy.