Quicken replacements?

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
Anyone know a good replacement software program for Quicken? I have years of dividend reinvestments I'd rather not type into a new software system, so is there anything out there that will read my old Quicken files and convert them? I just track spending and stock/mutual fund updates. I'm tired of buying a new Quicken every three years when they shut off the stock updates.

Looks like it's half the cost of Quicken, and imports the data. I'll buy a copy and check it out. Thanks for the links.

I tried a few alternatives last year, and none of them came close to Quicken. I think the problem is that Quicken has had literally decades to build up to what it is, and relies heavily on a core of software that is many years old, and a business model that keeps the cash flow supporting the kind of improvements necessary to keep the product ahead. The competitors are all hanging their hats on a lower price, which keeps them interminably unable to invest in what is needed to compete, and in promoting the fact that they're the little guy fighting the big guy, something which earns them sympathy but not business from me.

MoneyDance can import QIF files exported from Quicken (or MS Money). It has a 30 day free trial during which you can import your data and see how you like it.

I used Quicken long ago. Switched to MS Money around 15 years ago using the QIF export/import technique. Switched to MoneyDance when MS Money was discontinued and used the QIF export/import technique. The import wasn't perfect. I recall spending some time cleaning up various glitches (usually fixing the opening balances on accounts).

My main gripe with MD is that its automatic downloads don't work with quite as many financial institutions as Quicken or MS Money. Most work fine, but I have to manually download a couple of my credit card accounts.

I just use an older version of Quicken (2004), input part of my data manually and the rest via QIF export/import from my main banking websites. Manual data entry doesn't take that long in any case an is somewhat offset by the learning curve of any new version I'd upgrade to. Besides, I'm retired so (in the minds of those who observe me) what else would I do with ALL that time I now have on my hands :D

I went with iBank for OSX (Macintosh).

I got several of the 'top contenders' which allowed free trial use for some days, and tried to import data from Quicken 2007 (the last Mac version that supported investment tracking and knew how to calculate long and short term capital gains. Math is hard...)

iBank 4 (and now 5) was the only version that could import almost two decades of Quicken data from a qif (Quicken Interchange Format) file, supported proper investment tracking (including fiddly IRS stuff like capital gains), and supported Open File Exchange (OFX) format banking downloads supported by my financial institutions. (Unlike Quicken, it isn't magically de-supported after three years.)

iBank 5 is a significant improvement over 4, and a really good Quicken replacement.

I went with iBank for OSX (Macintosh).

I got several of the 'top contenders' which allowed free trial use for some days, and tried to import data from Quicken 2007 (the last Mac version that supported investment tracking and knew how to calculate long and short term capital gains. Math is hard...)

iBank 4 (and now 5) was the only version that could import almost two decades of Quicken data from a qif (Quicken Interchange Format) file, supported proper investment tracking (including fiddly IRS stuff like capital gains), and supported Open File Exchange (OFX) format banking downloads supported by my financial institutions. (Unlike Quicken, it isn't magically de-supported after three years.)

iBank 5 is a significant improvement over 4, and a really good Quicken replacement.

Thanks, I just downloaded the demo and am checking it out right now. Seems pretty good!

Intuit just sent me an email saying they would soon be disabling functionality on the Essentials product I bought a year or two ago. I was not that happy with the product and Quicken 2015 seems to leave a bit to be desired as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom