Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you itemize your deductions then it's probably easiest to track your own volunteer mileage (perhaps with a paper log or a spreadsheet) and report the deduction on your tax return. No tax receipts or organization's paperwork necessary. We've been reporting our own deductible Reserve, volunteer, and landlording mileage on our taxes for well over a decade.
Ok - I'll do it this year (first full year of M-O-W) and see what happens ...

Between my DW deciding to work "just one more year ", this deduction on my taxes, and "learning" this year that I can claim half my DW's SS at my age 66 (I'm planning on taking mine at 70), the $$$ just keep on rolling in (who needs the market ?)

- Ron

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny, the big media play a few months ago was kids moving back in with their parents.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseInPoint View Post
I don't think that most people would necessarily consider this person to be a role model for their own future.

But it does bring up an interesting issue, which is that many people seem to consider retirement to be an entitlement. Is it a constitutional right?
No. Constitutional rights do not include privacy (in many circumstances), home ownership and retirement. It does not mean that we should not strive or attempt to attain all of these for all Americans, it just means that (I feel) people should not feel entitled to these things.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseInPoint View Post
But it does bring up an interesting issue, which is that many people seem to consider retirement to be an entitlement. Is it a constitutional right?
No, but I think there is an implied right to pursue it and not have the government block it with some sort of "mandatory work" laws.

In other words, it's more or less tied into the right to "pursue happiness" as enumerated in the Declaration. But not specifically a Constitutional right.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
No, but I think there is an implied right to pursue it and not have the government block it with some sort of "mandatory work" laws.

In other words, it's more or less tied into the right to "pursue happiness" as enumerated in the Declaration. But not specifically a Constitutional right.
Pursuit of property? In any case, sounds like you are describing a privelege still.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Funny, the big media play a few months ago was kids moving back in with their parents.
That's why they call Boomers the "Sandwich Generation". Around here we call it "ohana housing".

Luckily those kids can help care for Grandma & Grandpa... talk about an incentive to get a job and move back out!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Pursuit of property? In any case, sounds like you are describing a privelege still.
That's the way ol TJ originally wrote it but Ben talked him into switching to happiness.

heh heh heh - at least that's what I heard. .
Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #48

Quote:
No. Constitutional rights do not include privacy (in many circumstances), home ownership and retirement. It does not mean that we should not strive or attempt to attain all of these for all Americans, it just means that (I feel) people should not feel entitled to these things.
The constitution does not enumerate rights but merely limits the scope of government power. The reason the bill of rights was added later and not initially was that the founding fathers assumed that since they didn't mention anything that was in the bill of rights that the government would have no authority over them. In many ways creating the bill of rights has limited our freedom because schoolkids are taught that they only have the rights listed.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #49

By limiting the scope of the government's power, however, it is implied that what is not listed is under the scope of the government. The Bill of Rights was added later to ensure some rights that would protect many individuals from a changing government. In other words, there is no right to privacy as many proclaim, but against unlawful search and seizure and many others that fall under the realm of privacy.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

The constitution definitely does not guarantee the right to retire.
But, the government does have various social programs like social security, welfare, medicare, etc. In today's economy, that's of course not enough to retire comfortably for most people.

Getting back to the original OP, it does seem that there is a sense of entitlement for those who saved (even a little) for a number of years, then decide that they want to retire. Well, if you haven't saved enough, it won't be possible to retire comfortably. That's the reality these days. Things are different than in the 1950s and 60s.

And given the economic climate, I'm starting to question whether the average person will be able to count on retirement at all without expert-level planning and starting to invest from a very young age.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #51

Quote:
By limiting the scope of the government's power, however, it is implied that what is not listed is under the scope of the government. The Bill of Rights was added later to ensure some rights that would protect many individuals from a changing government. In other words, there is no right to privacy as many proclaim, but against unlawful search and seizure and many others that fall under the realm of privacy.
That's funny.

It seems the 10th amendment says the exact opposite of what you just said.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

But maybe you're right and what they really meant was "Except for those couple things we said you were allowed to have, everything else is for the government to decide unless they decide they don't want you to have those right either; God save the king!"
Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
That's funny.

It seems the 10th amendment says the exact opposite of what you just said.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

But maybe you're right and what they really meant was "Except for those couple things we said you were allowed to have, everything else is for the government to decide unless they decide they don't want you to have those right either; God save the king!"
I can see Citricacid's point. The founders wanted to be sure that the people knew what rights they had and the limits of the government. By putting the 10th amendment into the Constitution they told the government and the people what their relationship and rights were. Up until the Bill of Rights the Constitution simply laid out how the government would be set up and ran not really where the limits were.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #53

That is entirely not what I am saying, or it goes along with the point I made. The rights in the first 9 amendments guarantee certain rights to the people, while the tenth claims that anything "that is not delegated" is given to the states. Income taxation (changed with an amendment of course), redistribution, education and many other things that exist now were not restricted to the states and not delegated to the United States, yet were able to come in as it was not strictly prohibited. There is a lot of leeway, but the rights given to the people are entirely unwavering (at least in the eyes of the founders)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #54

Quote:
That is entirely not what I am saying, or it goes along with the point I made. The rights in the first 9 amendments guarantee certain rights to the people, while the tenth claims that anything "that is not delegated" is given to the states. Income taxation (changed with an amendment of course), redistribution, education and many other things that exist now were not restricted to the states and not delegated to the United States, yet were able to come in as it was not strictly prohibited. There is a lot of leeway, but the rights given to the people are entirely unwavering (at least in the eyes of the founders)
You seem to stop reading right before the part where it says states not reserved by the states go to the people.

Things like the department of education (which coincidentally started just a couple years before high school literacy began falling) highways and social security all had to be brought about by claiming they are present in the constitution under the general welfare and interstate commerce clauses.

The constitution doesn't limit the federal government by listing what they cannot do but by specifically saying what they can do. If FDR hadn't been president so long and packed the supreme court the new deal never would have happened.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
You seem to stop reading right before the part where it says states not reserved by the states go to the people.

Things like the department of education (which coincidentally started just a couple years before high school literacy began falling) highways and social security all had to be brought about by claiming they are present in the constitution under the general welfare and interstate commerce clauses.

The constitution doesn't limit the federal government by listing what they cannot do but by specifically saying what they can do. If FDR hadn't been president so long and packed the supreme court the new deal never would have happened.
I agree with your last paragraph and that is what I mean by the original frame of the constitution. The limitations contained therein, however, are interpreted to guarantee a certain list of rights for the citizens, or by limiting the scope of the government. Most of the things done by the New Deal and many other federal institutions need a very loose reading of the Constitution to allow.