Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Real estate-- calling the top.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewahoo
Modified to shorten URL becasue () is a PITA and won't do it himself.
Had a baby in my lap trying to dial uzbekistan on my cell phone. Typing one handed while trying to retrieve the phone and keep him from simultaneously sweeping my cup of coffee off the desk and/or grabbing the cats tail.

Plus I know you'll do it for me

Used to be and maybe still is a show, I think it was on HGTV called "What you get for the money". Each show picked a price point and then showed you a handful of homes around the country. Amazing the differential. A 600 square foot place in manhattan in a bad but improving neighborhood or a 4000 square foot 6 bedroom 5 bath in some podunk state in the southeast.

Given this comparison, I'd probably take the fixer upper in hawaii rather than the nice house on a big lot in a bad neighborhood in Yuba City...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
...4000 square foot 6 bedroom 5 bath in some podunk state in the southeast.
Yep. I know of plenty of houses like this here in NC. $500,000 or so will get you one of these monsters right on the golf course. At what point does a house change into a mansion... 5000 sf? 6000 sf?

Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Yep.* I know of plenty of houses like this here in NC.* $500,000 or so will get you one of these monsters right on the golf course.* At what point does a house change into a mansion...* 5000 sf?* 6000 sf?
Sounds like another poll in the making.

I am not sure I would call a 6000 sf house a mansion. It all depends on if a bunch of it comes from a finished basement or not. There are some houses near here that are 10,000 sf. They are in the $2+M area. One I saw the other day is 17,000 sf and is listed as a "Mansion". The going price for it with a 7 car garage, pool, tennis courts and 2 acres of land is only $4M.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
At what point does a house change into a mansion...* 5000 sf?* 6000 sf?
I think below 1500 sq ft is a townhome or a cottage, up to 2000 sq ft is a "home", up to 3000 sq ft is a "house", up to 4000 sq ft is a "barn", and anything above that is a "freakin' warehouse".

One celebrity couple used to lose each other in their mansion. They tried cell phones but had coverage/shielding problems. They finally decided that when anyone heard yelling in the house that they'd muster in the kitchen...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think below 1500 sq ft is a townhome or a cottage, up to 2000 sq ft is a "home", up to 3000 sq ft is a "house", up to 4000 sq ft is a "barn", and anything above that is a "freakin' warehouse".

One celebrity couple used to lose each other in their mansion. They tried cell phones but had coverage/shielding problems. They finally decided that when anyone heard yelling in the house that they'd muster in the kitchen...
My officemate next door is wondering why I'm laughing!!!

My domicile fits in the "home" category as outlined above, and I still get the occasional "Honey, where are you?" from my wife. "In HERE!!!!" "Where? I can hear you but I've looked everywhere and I can't find you!". "IN HERE!!!!!!!!"

Sometimes I think life would be easier if we rented a 1 BR or studio apartment.

In regards to the "how big is a mansion?" question, I think it is determined in a similar fashion to "how much do you need to be "rich"?

My house is under 2000 sf, so a 4000-6000 sf house might be a mansion to me. If you live in a 6000 sf house, you might think 10000 sf is a mansion. On the other hand, if you lived in a 300 sf efficiency and were broke, you'd think my house is a mansion (maybe).

Old 10-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #26

Here's a house DW and I looked at a few weeks ago and are considering for ER pad.* Several acres on the lake in SW MO.
Approx taxes are $1800.
http://tinyurl.com/8ekep
Old 10-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Here's a house DW and I looked at a few weeks ago and are considering for ER pad.* Several acres on the lake in SW MO.
Approx taxes are $1800.
It would shure suck to live there

I would like to move elsewhere but for now we are close to all our kids. Someday they start to move away (along with grandkids) but until then we will stick around. Would love to have something on the water.

At that price you should go for it if that is where you want to be....before somebody else jumps on it.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here's a house DW and I looked at a few weeks ago and are considering for ER pad. Several acres on the lake in SW MO.
Approx taxes are $1800.
Wow, I could buy that for cash with the equity in my house. SD is crazy.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a house DW and I looked at a few weeks ago and are considering for ER pad. Several acres on the lake in SW MO.
Approx taxes are $1800.
Nice place and a real bargain by many standards. Didn't see the SF, but with 5 bedrooms and 4.5 baths, the place looks like it may be what Nords describes as a "barn" (3,000 SF). Are you sure you want something that big to take care of?

DW and I have 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, 2,700 SF. It is a chore to keep clean and I sometimes wish we had a room or two less. But today is housecleaning day and my opinion may be tainted... :P

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Approx taxes are $1800.
JPatrick, I can't figure out why you want to leave TX for waterfront property in MO. Here is a nice place in the Hill Country with 200' lake frontage. Yeah, it's 70 years old, only two bedrooms and $550,000. But think how much you will save on moving costs....and there are only THREE toilets to clean!

http://tinyurl.com/dxdj4

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
JPatrick, I can't figure out why you want to leave TX for waterfront property in MO.* Here is a nice place in the Hill Country with 200' lake frontage.* Yeah, it's 70 years old, only two bedrooms and $550,000.* But think how much you will save on moving costs....and there are only THREE toilets to clean!

Hmmm, the single photo wasn't very convincing.
The Mo house exceeds 3000 sq feet.* One of the problems we've encountered is the fact that most of the places with killer views or waterfront are McMansions.* Got 2800 now and love the room. It's the cleaning and maintenance that are the killers.* Like you didn't already know that.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
JPatrick, I can't figure out why you want to leave TX for waterfront property in MO.* Here is a nice place in the Hill Country with 200' lake frontage.* Yeah, it's 70 years old, only two bedrooms and $550,000.* But think how much you will save on moving costs....and there are only THREE toilets to clean!

Why would you want to leave Texas at all? Re. houses and the size issue,
bigger houses mean more taxes, more maintenance, more utilities,
more of everything. Both of our homes are around 1000 SF. Plenty of room for 2 people. We could go with less easily. Also, there are many many
homes available which would fill all of our needs for well under 100K,
and located in places we would enjoy living.

JG
Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #33

That place in Missouri looks really Great for under 300K!! -

Unknowns - Ernest T. Bass probably lives right up the Hill
Old 10-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. I know of plenty of houses like this here in NC. $500,000 or so will get you one of these monsters right on the golf course. At what point does a house change into a mansion... 5000 sf? 6000 sf?
Two answers...both from personal experience.

A house changes into a mansion when you MUST pay someone else to clean it, and/or when you walk from the kitchen to the master suite and you forget your drink, you decide its too freakin' far to make another round trip to fetch it and just forget about it.

Got to the point where I used to make a list before I went downstairs so I made sure to come back with everything I went down there for... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
That place in Missouri looks really Great for under 300K!!* -

Unknowns - Ernest T. Bass probably lives right up the Hill
Mr bass and all the little basses are nearby, and the trout capitol of the world is but a few miles away* :
Old 10-28-2005, 05:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Two answers...both from personal experience.

A house changes into a mansion when you MUST pay someone else to clean it, and/or when you walk from the kitchen to the master suite and you forget your drink, you decide its too freakin' far to make another round trip to fetch it and just forget about it.

Got to the point where I used to make a list before I went downstairs so I made sure to come back with everything I went down there for... :P
I can relate to that...in my case it is just CRS. *(Can't remember Sh*t), not the size of the house. *Getting older allows one the experience of re-living the same event several times over without knowing you ever did it. *Sort of cheap entertainment I guess. *
Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That curve appears to be "asymptotic to infinity."*
Yes, that's true.* In a free market, homes would gradually fall in price as they aged, and thus come closer to falling apart.* Nevertheless, politics can keep this game going for decades.* I don't see a nationwide fall in prices in the near future.* Homeowners would riot in the streets.

I was watching HG TV the other day. Someone had purchased a small aging cottage for about a million. He then spend several hundred thousand dollars trying to fix up the inside to make the tiny thing livable. After all this, a home inspector informed him that wore out home had cracks in the foundation that needed even more money to keep it from falling down. Amazing.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

RE WaHoo & JG,
The Texas heritage posse are reading your posts very carefully. You have been warned.
It is suggested you focus on propeerty taxes, gun enthusiast neighbors, Texas property rights, red state politics, noxious plants and critters.

We know where you live and nearby members have been alerted. Next offense may warrent a field trial followed by tar and feathers. Continued violations may incur more drastic measures.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Yes, that's true.* In a free market, homes would gradually fall in price as they aged, and thus come closer to falling apart.
As has already been pointed out, it's not houses that appreciate, but the land.* *There is also some inflationary increase in houses due to the cost of lumber and construction, but I have no idea if that would offset age-based depreciation in a free market.

In general, as the population and the economy grows, so grows any limited-production asset.* *In densely populated areas, land is pretty much guatanteed to appreciate long-term, even in a free market.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
RE WaHoo & JG,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *The Texas heritage posse are reading your posts very carefully. You have been warned.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *It is suggested you focus on propeerty taxes, gun enthusiast neighbors, Texas property rights, red state politics, noxious plants and critters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *We know where you live and nearby members have been alerted. Next offense may warrent a field trial followed by tar and feathers. Continued violations may incur more drastic measures.
I am properly contrite, and will hew to the THP desires in the future.
I'm not sure what got into me.

JG