Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Real Tax Simplification Impossible?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
AMT is the Alternative Min. Tax, right? I've heard/read about it before, but I dont see the advantage/disadvantage of it.* I'll have to read into it more.

Anyone have a concise 1 paragraph summary of the AMT>

Thanks
Imagine you have just been reamed by the IRS. Now they come back into the "operating room and give you a telephone book-sized manual and tell you that you will be spending the next week calculating your taxes in an entirely new and painfl way. A week later, the IRS comes back for another reaming, but this time they bring a 3 YO bull to do the job...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Oh, no, not the bull again...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Tell me what impressive result was achieved in 1986.
I'm just going from memory, but the tax code was greatly simplified in 1986 after some bipartisan effort. The number of loopholes were cut drastically and the number of tax brackets cut in half.

It was certainly not nearly as simple as people would like it to be, but it was a step in the right direction. The point is that we've taken several steps back from that progress since then. "One step forward, two steps back". The special interests will start to chip away at anything accomplished before the ink is dry on the bill.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More than you ever wanted to know about the Tax Reform Act of 1986.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/777.html
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Explorer
I'm just going from memory, but the tax code was greatly simplified in 1986 after some bipartisan effort.* The number of loopholes were cut drastically and the number of tax brackets cut in half.

It was certainly not nearly as simple as people would like it to be, but it was a step in the right direction.* The point is that we've taken several steps back from that progress since then.* "One step forward, two steps back".* The special interests will start to chip away at anything accomplished before the ink is dry on the bill.
Oh, I understand that was the "Political Claim", But I myself was not "Impressed" with the results!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
AMT is the Alternative Min. Tax, right? I've heard/read about it before, but I dont see the advantage/disadvantage of it.* I'll have to read into it more.

Anyone have a concise 1 paragraph summary of the AMT>

Thanks
The AMT is a tax code that operates parallel to the "normal" code - that is to say if you meet certain criteria you have to calculate your tax liability under the normal rules AND under the AMT rules. Naturally you pay the higher of the two rates. (The mere fact that you have to go through the process of calculating your tax liability twice is more than enough to justify its elimination). Under the AMT rules many of the traditional deductions are eliminated so taxable income is higher. Under the AMT you also use a different tax rate (26% or 28% depending on income) rather than the normal progressive tax schedules.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #27

My recollection is that the 1986 tax simplification made things more complicated.

I could do a good job of making it simpler in 8 hours, starting with the boxes for the contribution to the presidential election campaign.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
My recollection is that the 1986 tax simplification made things more complicated.
DING-DING-DING-DING-DING!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
My recollection is that the 1986 tax simplification made things more complicated.*

I could do a good job of making it simpler in 8 hours, starting with the boxes for the contribution to the presidential election campaign.
It seemed to complicate things in my case. I never understood why people get so hung-up on tax brackets as complicated. Of all the things I have to do in completing my taxes, the brackets only come into play in the final calculation of tax. That final calculation requires one reference to a table, one multiplication and one addition operation. That's about the easiest thing I do. Even if we went to a flat tax, you would still have to multiply.

But the main thing to me isn't simple or complex . . . it's how much I have to pay. The 1986 changes cost me money. I would gladly have embraced more complexity in order to pay less.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

A quote from Money.com:

"Under the proposals, taxpayers would no longer be allowed to deduct the state and local taxes they pay on wage income, investment income and property.

Former Senator John Breaux of Louisiana, who is the panel's vice chair, on CNBC Tuesday morning explained part of the panel's reasoning this way: "If people in California want to pay extra taxes to have their trash picked up, people in Texas shouldn't have to subsidize it." "

Ya, great logic, John.* One could also argue,* "if the people of New Orleans want to live below sea level, why should the people of California pay extra taxes to subsidize it?" ( No slight meant against the people of the Big Easy, just pointing out Breaux's skewed logic.)

If the people of the USA want a simpler tax code, why do we have a professional lobbyist like John Breaux serving as vice chair of the tax reform committee?* This is just going to be another exercise in number juggling that will serve special interests and whack the middle income wage earners.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Any thoughts from the group on http://www.fairtax.org?

Also, I never understood how government co-opted the term "revenue" for money it takes out of my pocket and why most Americans buy into it.

Obviously, I'm for very, very, very limited government.* *

I'm also for those who are "rich in this world to also be rich in good works."*

Old 11-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #32

Well I looked up "revenue" on Websters, their definitions is:

1 : the total income produced by a given source <a property expected to yield a large annual revenue>
2 : the gross income returned by an investment
3 : the yield of sources of income (as taxes) that a political unit (as a nation or state) collects and receives into the treasury for public use
4 : a government department concerned with the collection of the national revenue

So the use of the term is (according to Websters) strictly correct

Per your tax ideas, I just don't see it happening.