Recently Retired. Looking at increasing equities

Debinnov a

Recycles dryer sheets
Recently retired in our 50's with no pension. Monthly income from rental home and waiting until at least 66, if not 70 for SS.

Very conservative portfolio, equities are all Vanguard Total Stock Market. My fixed income is mostly in CDs. I would like to increase my equity allocation (30/60/10) with something that will provide some income. Should I look at some of Vanguards retirement income type funds or should I just put more into total stock market? Would the Vanguard income type funds be best in taxable or IRA account?

I'm pretty much a basic investor, a novice, if you will and appreciate any feedback.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

30/60/10? Equities/Bonds/Cash? or is that Bonds/Equities/Cash?

What % draw off of your nestegg will you need per year?

Do you have both After Tax, and Tax Deferred portfolios?

Some will argue that chasing income isn't the best approach. You should focus on the total portfolio return and withdraw the assets needed to cover your expenses.

I agree that you'll need to provide more detailed information to get a decent response.

We have sizable chunks of VYM, a Vanguard index of dividend producing stocks. We like the psychological effect of having dividends even if this approach isn't necessarily the most perfect. Our whole portfolio is mostly dividend producing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I personally prefer individual, investment grade municipal and/or corporate bonds for income. I have enough principle fluctuation from the equities in my AA and do not want to use income funds or ETF's.

My goal is to keep my portfolio at about 30% equities. I have just about won the game and want to just have enough equities as a hedge against inflation. Only 40%of my portfolio is tax-deferred. I don't really need the dividends now, since I have so much in taxable. I have some Ibonds but not much in any other bond funds. Big portion is in 5 yr. 3% CDs right now.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom