Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Look at Pfizer. Sure they have problems. Lipitor. the pharmaceutical commercial success of the century, faces strong generic competition from Zocor ...

Our health plan does not cover Lipitor anymore since Zocor is cheaper.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Our health plan does not cover Lipitor anymore since Zocor is cheaper. [/COLOR]
Just curious: does it not cover Lipitor at all, or is it a "step therapy" medication (one which is only covered if a cheaper alternative fails)?

I am being thrown into a new health HDHP/HSA plan with a new administrator with different rules, and the new plan has "step therapy" like this so I'm trying to figure out how it all works.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Our health plan does not cover Lipitor anymore since Zocor is cheaper.
[/color]
An even cheaper alternative is the generic form of Mevacor at Walmart for $4/mo. Don't need health insurance for this price. Your doc may say it's not potent enough for your needs however.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
An even cheaper alternative is the generic form of Mevacor at Walmart for $4/mo. Don't need health insurance for this price. Your doc may say it's not potent enough for your needs however.
An even cheaper alternative than that is diet and exersise. Regular exercise and dietary modification can greatly improve your cholesterol profile and prevent the development of heart disease. We have become a country too dependant on drugs.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
An even cheaper alternative than that is diet and exersise. Regular exercise and dietary modification can greatly improve your cholesterol profile and prevent the development of heart disease. We have become a country too dependant on drugs.
Well, yeah, for sure I would think "lifestyle changes" should be the first line of defense to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. But that's not always enough, and THEN it may be appropriate to medicate. I wouldn't necessarily be judgmental about all who are on these meds, though. Some people just have the wrong genes no matter what they do.

A lot of couch potatoes out there seem to be wishing that a little pill will cure all their problems. A pill won't convert fat to muscle.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #266
Recycles dryer sheets

We are a culture that believes drugs and doctors will cure all that ails us. Health care costs are too high because of our lifestyles. We eat like pigs, don't exercise, smoke and drink to excess, drive recklessly, and lack common sense to avoid preventable accidents which is 99% of them. If people would take responsibily for their own health instead of relying on modern medicine to fix the problems they bring upon themselves healthcare costs would plummet. Most people could live long and heathy lives without any drugs if they just made some lifestyle changes.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #267
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If people would take responsibily for their own heath instead of relying on modern medicine to fix the problems they bring upon themselves healthcare costs would plummet. Most people could live long and heathy lives without any drugs if they just made some lifestyle changes.
My wife swims 2 hours a night 4 nights a week. She weighs what she did 30 years ago (not fat at all). We eat a very low fat & low salt diet. And she still has high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

sheesh.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #268
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red View Post
My wife swims 2 hours a night 4 nights a week. She weighs what she did 30 years ago (not fat at all). We eat a very low fat & low salt diet. And she still has high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

sheesh.
Like I said, most people. There are exceptions of course. Most high cholesterol and high blood pressure are caused by diet, lack of exercise and unhealthy life choices. Just look around you at how fat people are now adays.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are a culture that believes drugs and doctors will cure all that ails us. Health care costs are too high because of our lifestyles. We eat like pigs, don't exercise, smoke and drink to excess,
Ok folks, let's give it up for our dear friend, The Reverend Cotton Mather!

Ha
Old 11-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ok folks, let's give it up for our dear friend, The Reverend Cotton Mather!

Ha
I guess some people can't handle the truth.
America, 100 Percent Fat - Page 1 - Obesity in America - MSN Health & Fitness

The number of obese adults has doubled in just 20 years, with 67 percent of the adult population overweight or obese, according to recent figures from the Centers for Disease Control.
And things appear to be getting worse. Back in 1995, when researchers started to notice the changing landscape, one doctor sounded an alarm in The Lancet, a British medical journal. After studying the rise in obesity that had occurred over the 30-year period between 1960 and 1991, Dr. John Foreyt at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston predicted that 100 percent of Americans would be overweight by the year 2230.
Upon seeing more recent data, Foreyt bumped up his projection by almost two centuries: “We’re gaining by 1 percentage point every year. Assuming that trend continues, 100 percent of the population will be overweight or obese by 2040.”
Old 11-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #271
Full time employment: Posting here.

Robert the Red wrote: "My wife swims 2 hours a night 4 nights a week. She weighs what she did 30 years ago (not fat at all). We eat a very low fat & low salt diet. And she still has high cholesterol and high blood pressure."

Sorry this is off topic from this thread, but as someone who can strongly relate to your wife, when I switched from being a teetotaler to having 1/2 glass of wine each night with dinner, my cholesterol ratio improved dramatically. Doctors don't recommend this because of the danger of undiscovered alcoholics starting to drink and not being able to stop. Becoming an alcoholic is much worse for a woman than having high cholesterol.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red View Post

sheesh.
1. It's not high TOTAL cholesterol that is bad, but the ratios of good and bad. Given your wife's admirable exercise levels, her good cholesterol levels would be high. This might give a high total, but great ratios. Hopefully your doctor is looking at the details instead of the total.

2. A low fat diet will not necessarily improve cholesterol levels, sometimes it can make them worse if the diet is high in refined carbohydrates at the expense of good fats. You have to eat the RIGHT kind of fats to improve good cholesterol - fats high in omega 3s, nuts, etc. And a diet high in soluble fiber helps too.

3. Blood pressure - low salt helps, but high veggies/fruit is very important.

Perhaps you know all these things already.

Audrey
Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #273

Quote:
I guess some people can't handle the truth.
America, 100 Percent Fat - Page 1 - Obesity in America - MSN Health & Fitness

The number of obese adults has doubled in just 20 years, with 67 percent of the adult population overweight or obese, according to recent figures from the Centers for Disease Control.
And things appear to be getting worse. Back in 1995, when researchers started to notice the changing landscape, one doctor sounded an alarm in The Lancet, a British medical journal. After studying the rise in obesity that had occurred over the 30-year period between 1960 and 1991, Dr. John Foreyt at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston predicted that 100 percent of Americans would be overweight by the year 2230.
Upon seeing more recent data, Foreyt bumped up his projection by almost two centuries: “We’re gaining by 1 percentage point every year. Assuming that trend continues, 100 percent of the population will be overweight or obese by 2040.”
Maybe "peak oil" will break the obesity trend. When gasoline prices become really high, we'll be forced to walk, bike, and run to catch a bus or train so that might lessen obesity.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #274
Give me a forum ...

I think we should lance all the chubby people, drain off the excess and break out those turn of the century whale oil lamps.

Heck, I could light the house for a couple of weeks, easy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
More Of: Less Obesity in a Peak-Oil World
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #275

More Of: Less Obesity in a Peak-Oil World

Yeah...just like folks gathering cooking oil from restaurants for biodiesel, we could collect all the liposuction fat bucket contents and use 'em.

<Sorry, I'm having a hard time working this Monday.>
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
Yeah...just like folks gathering cooking oil from restaurants for biodiesel, we could collect all the liposuction fat bucket contents and use 'em.

Reminds me of the movie Fight Club. Where Brad Pitt collects the liposuctioned fat to make high quality soap........I'll stick with Dove - thank you.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post

Be concerned when you find yourself agreeing with me

You should be afraid. Very afraid.

Thinking on it though, it'd be a great solution. "Hey Bob...lets stop by macdonalds so I can shove down 5 big macs. My wife wants to drive up to her parents house this weekend and I need an extra 5lbs worth of fat on me by then"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #278
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Reminds me of the movie Fight Club. Where Brad Pitt collects the liposuctioned fat to make high quality soap........I'll stick with Dove - thank you.
Man, I missed that part of the movie... now I'll have to go and re-watch it!