REIT funds - Do they belong in a retirement portfolio

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been reading a few articles that advocate moving about 5 percentage points of stock allocations from a total stock index fund to an REIT index fund. (so a 60/40 would end up as 55/5/40 stocks/reit/bonds.)

I am curious what others think of this. I know people who lost fortunes in REIT in the 70's and 80's and, because of that, have never gone near the things. But... I am wiling to learn if other think they are worth while. I would rebalance them about once a year along with the stock index funds and the bond index funds.

Last edited:
I have 15% FWIW...only problem is they tend to move with the market the last 5 yrs.
TJ

I'm in for 5% VNQ and 5% RWX (foreign RE). The returns looked similar to equities, but they should provide some diversification. One of the more volatile funds I owned 2007-2009, which was good for rebalancing.

I have been adding to a Roth holding of Vanguard REIT Index (VGSLX) for diversification. However I don't feel strongly since REIT's also represent about 3% of the total stock market which is a core holding. The payout currently isn't too spectacular at 4% unadjusted and 2.8% adjusted returns.

I can't find it now, but we had a thread within the last few years on REITs that indicated they had lost a good deal of their ability to reduce risk in a typical portfolio. IIRC, because they hold primarily commercial property, the fate of RE prices is fairly tightly bound to the business cycle. If stocks go down, REITs tend to go down at abut the same rate.

OTOH, during the 2008 downturn almost everything went down, so REITs can't be singled out.

I have been reading a few articles that advocate moving about 5 percentage points of stock allocations from a total stock index fund to an REIT index fund. (so a 60/40 would end up as 55/5/50 stocks/reit/bonds.)

I am curious what others think of this. I know people who lost fortunes in REIT in the 70's and 80's and, because of that, have never gone near the things. But... I am wiling to learn if other think they are worth while. I would rebalance them about once a year along with the stock index funds and the bond index funds.

Your new allocation adds up to 110%

I've been holding REIT funds (VG REIT Index and Fidelity Real Estate Investor) in Roth and 403(b) accounts since around 2005. I added them after reading "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and have been very satisfied with them (as a buy-and-hold). Malkiel argues they should be viewed as a separate asset class. They can be volatile, however.

I'm in for 5% VNQ and 5% RWX (foreign RE). The returns looked similar to equities, but they should provide some diversification. One of the more volatile funds I owned 2007-2009, which was good for rebalancing.

I have roughly the same allocations. 6% Vanguard REIT and 5% WPS (foreign RE/REIT).

It seems like they are somewhat uncorrelated with their US or international stock indexes. For example, looking at all of vanguard's funds, the REIT fund is the #2 equity performer (second to healthcare fund). Often it will be up when other stuff is down, or flat when other stuff is up.

It is also good if you are looking for dividend paying ETFs or mutual funds. The div yield is typically on the high end of equities. Again, looking at vanguard, only a couple of dividend focused mutual funds and the Value index fund beat it out. Current div yield of Vanguard REIT fund is 2.83%

Our allocation to Vanguard REIT is 5% in our tax-deferred account. REIT does provide diversification as the correlation between REIT and S&P 500 for the last 8 years is 62%.

A thought: maybe one should overweight smallcap value and get the small + value premiums plus the REIT exposure.

M* shows that Vanguard Smallcap Value fund (VISVX) has 13% REITs.

FWIW: I don't have a REIT fund but have a value tilted portfolio. I notice Vanguard Wellington which has done quite well over the years has 0% REIT right now.

Last edited:
I have a basket of reits/preferreds that represents about 8% of my port.

I am curious what others think of this.<> I know people who lost fortunes in REIT in the 70's and 80's and, because of that, have never gone near the things.
Much of that was in highly levered mortgage reits, a totally diffent animal from property owning reits. Also many of these were vigorously sold by brokers, and were pretty bad. As he got old, my dad tended to be a sucker for junk like this, until my brothers took over. US Treasuries from then on, plus Exxon.

Many property owning reits are really blue chips. However, as with all markets, prices go through some pretty extreme cycles, and you don't want to buy at a high point.

Be sure you understand before you buy, as always.

Ha

I keep 5% in REITs.

While I generally eschew market timing, I got out of REITs in 2006 when we were buying a new, more expensive house due to a job relo into a higher cost market. Figured that I was increasing my real estate exposure via the house so I sold the REITs to help the down payment. (Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...)

After the great real estate implosion, I was interested in buying into depressed real estate but I lack the time/focus to do this myself. So I'm doing it by buying REITs.

Intend to keep my 5% exposure going forward.

VG Total Stk Mkt Index & VG Total Int'l Stk Index hold 3% each in real estate. Would this be equivalent to my owning a REIT fund?

The investment options I have in my 401k are not the greatest. Fortunately, they contribute 9% annually, as long as I contribute at least 6%. The best performing fund over the last three years has been a REIT. Over all, this fund accounts for about 15% of my retirement balance. I'll rebalance it at the end of the year to take it down a little, but I'll continue to fund it.

Is the OP asking if REITs belong in a "retirement portfolio" meaning tax deferred accounts? 401(k) & Roth IRA.

according to the tax-efficiency chart, yes they do.

I made a 5k Roth IRA contribution to VGSIX awhile ago. Its the only REITs I own.

Attachments

• Taxeff.gif
    Taxeff.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
I'm 10% REIT in my retirement portfolio. They are pretty volatile, which can be good when the market goes up.

The completely tax-free earnings of a REIT in a Roth IRA is a very tempting proposition.

It's hard to pass up.

If you choose to go with REITs be careful who you buy from and I'd recommend staying away from private REITs where you're locked in for a set period of time.

The last remaining acct we have with Ameriprise is a rollover IRA that contains two private commercial REITs. They've lost 25% of their value since buying them in 2007 and we're stuck with them until 2012.

But on Feb 1, 2012 we will be selling these losers and moving the rest of our money to Vanguard....resulting in no more Ameriprise! :dance:

I bought a few REITs a couple years ago and have done quite well (done a little better than the stock market).

I guess the idea is that they aren't the same as stocks, so they act a little differently than stocks. That can help provide some diversification to a portfolio.

I'm a fan, FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom