Rethinking my approach -- comments?

Uhh...deal with them or make another choice?

Same way you get to ER. You save, you invest, you make lifestyle changes. Nothing different here.

What I dont always get is why people will steadfastly stay with a choice when its disabling to something that they will appreciate far more.

What I dont always get is why people will steadfastly stay with a choice when its disabling to something that they will appreciate far more.

Don't follow you here. Obviously they made their choice. Do you have an example?

In its simplest form, people who spend rampantly for stuff that doesnt really improve their quality of life, while wishing they could retire early.

In this context, someone who would keep living in their pre-ER mcmansion, or in the very expensive area they had to live in, in order to find and retain quality employment prospects.

After ER-ing, with many less expensive housing options, in much less expensive areas, that dont really equate to "poor quality of life"...people will still live in the big house near the big employers and lose sleep about whether they're ER will "make it".

For example, I sold my mcmansion, and moved to a less expensive area that offered good quality of life, and an appreciating housing market thats very likely to continue appreciating, and I only live 30 minutes from where I used to live if I ever feel like I'm "missing something".

In its simplest form, people who spend rampantly for stuff that doesnt really improve their quality of life, while wishing they could retire early.

Human Nature  - Live for the moment. Very easy to understand.

It is the same reason that 60% of the people in the U.S.A are overweight. Tell me how you feel after you've just consumed 7,000 calories?

The same reason that we have an H.I.V. crisis.

Sacrifice the moment for the future. Everyone has their vices. :)

This discussion has be re-evaluating my rent vs buy decisions. I've been renting since I sold my house two years ago. Prices seem very high relative to mortgage rates, but my muni fund is only throwing off 3%.

My home as an asset....

OK, OK, I'm starting to weaken on this one. It just seems to make everything so easy if we get to 'count' the home, too. I'm wired up to think my ER finances are supposed to be nail-bitingly close and uncertain-- some sort of forced discipline, I guess. Wierd.

But as to your other point about the unlikelihood of having stocks, bonds and housing all go down together for a sustained period of time -- I assume that Osama and his boys are staying up late trying to figure out what combination of plutonium and rocket dispersion techniques could bring about precisely this result. They may never get it, but I assume they are working on it, which makes the risks somewhat higher.

ESRBob

But as to your other point about the unlikelihood of having stocks, bonds and housing all go down together for a sustained period of time -- I assume that Osama and his boys are staying up late trying to figure out what combination of plutonium and rocket dispersion techniques could bring about precisely this result. They may never get it, but I assume they are working on it, which makes the risks somewhat higher.
Osama is probably trying hard to stay alive on dirty portable dialysis, and I think his boys are busier trying to further disrupt U.S. aims in Afghanistan and Iraq. Surely they still want to hurt the U.S. on its own turf, but they wanted to and tried for many years before September 11, and now everyone's paying real close attention. If we are any less safe today than we were on September 10 then it is from new enemies and our own government more than from Osama, because we're all over his operations now. (Incidentally, September 11 wasn't the first attempt at flying a jumbo jet into a building, it was the fourth since 1974; two of the other three were U.S. people--Samuel Byck and Auburn Calloway--and U.S. targets--the Whitehouse and a FedEx sort facility; the remaining was the Armed Islamic Group trying to demolish the Eiffel Tower. Not to mention numerous other domestic mass murder events/attempts and natural disaster deaths; mass casualty is not a new problem and I doubt it's more dangerous today than it has been.)

At any rate I don't think the risk is enough higher to let it affect ER planning. If you're really paranoid then don't buy near big cities, government installations and symbols of American money and power. But then you should also probably avoid areas with hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, dangerous heat, dangerous cold, floods, flu, crime and congested traffic, just to be sure.

If dirty bombs worry you more, then please let me know when you find a way to manage a portfolio to mitigate the risk.

Wow, something set me off. I guess I'm tired of all the things to be afraid of: terror, bad economy and everything else on the news. I relate to your fears; now that I am debt free I worry more about my money than when I was $27k in consumer debt. That shouldn't make sense, but I feel like I have more to lose now, and I keep having to kick myself to stop worrying. I sense you're going through the same thing right now.

BMJ,
Yeah, actually I'm past the paranoid stage (living 25 miles out of NY was bad a few years back) but now just sort of have this gnawing sense that the world won't really be 'safe' (if it ever was), and just sort of live with it. Having assets (passively managed, no less) makes you realize you're in for the ride, whatever comes along.

Still, it is worth getting some perspective: think about what it must have been like to live in 1918 when the flu epidemic killed off millions, here in the US and elsewhere, or indeed to have lived in Europe during the Black Death plagues or just about any other time in human history when invading hordes, evil rulers, renegade microbes or natural disasters kept life short, nasty and brutish. (Basically most of human history). So by that measure, things look pretty darned good these days!

ESRBob

Back
Top Bottom