retirement Outside the US More Rhetoric than Reality

I'm a software developer. From what I've heard from others I'd have no problem getting into Canada as a 'skilled immigrant'. Many countries around the world welcome folks with the right skills. You don't necessarily need boatloads of money to immigrate.

On a related note, I've also thought it'd be fun to move from country to country working 6 month contracts. Most apartment complexes I've stayed at offer 6 month leases, and I'm sure one could work out the details.

Last edited:
I used 'fly over country' to illustrate a point, one I didn't make very well. If one takes an existing set of attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, habits and expectations formed in one environment into a new place one notices the differences, both better and worse. But it's all about the person (unless that person is a New Yorker, then it's all about the new place ;-).

Non-Americans don't distinguish between "The Coasts" or "Fly-over Country". To them, all Americans are pretty much the same. So if you retire abroad leave the US hubris and attitude of superiority behind. Other countries have a lot to offer and you need to embrace that to successfully retire abroad.

Non-Americans don't distinguish between "The Coasts" or "Fly-over Country". To them, all Americans are pretty much the same. So if you retire abroad leave the US hubris and attitude of superiority behind. Other countries have a lot to offer and you need to embrace that to successfully retire abroad.

Your're painting with a pretty broad brush. My experience is different - neither poor appreciation of geography nor hubris & attitude are the monopoly of any country or geographic collection of people.

Last edited:
I believe that is $1.6 for a couple. I was on the website the other day and they offered me residence for $800,000. I think that could include a house purchase and a bank deposit. I believe the other permanent residence visa is called an "Entrepreneurship Visa" which may require less, but is currently not accepting applications at this point.
Yes you are correct. There is a quota that gets used up each year. There is also a 90-day waiting period for health insurance, subject to being clear of preconditions. So travel insurance is needed while waiting. The majority of qualifiers seem to be from China and Iran.

BTravlin, methinks you been reading The People's Guide to Mexico. :)
I'd like to place my vote for this fine book. I've owned my copy for 13 years now, and it was my preferred bathroom reading for quite a while. Unlike most other travel guides, which give you lists of things to do and see, places to stay etc, this book reads like one long story about what it's actually like to be in Mexico, written from the author's many and lengthy experiences. It's full of interesting and lively anecdotes - a great read.

Even if you don't plan on visiting Mexico, this book is still a worthwhile read.

Your're painting with a pretty broad brush. My experience is different - neither poor appreciation of geography not hubris & attitude are the monopoly of any country or geographic collection of people.

I agree, my advice goes for any nationality retiring abroad, but as we are dealing with American retirees in this thread I thought I'd direct my advice at them. I could easily have done the same for my home country of the UK. Luckily most of the people who are interested in retiring abroad tend to be open minded and accepting of differing cultures, but it's always good to be reminded that many American attitudes and opinions are not the norm in the rest of the world.

US hubris sounds like the name of a cheese. "Hubris--we're proud of it!"

Median per capita income in Springfield, Missouri is listed at census.gov as $20K, and median household income is listed as $33K. Those include working people, too. For a retiree, often SS can help and there is no longer any need to save for retirement so less $ is needed IMO.

And, there are many other midwestern and southern locations that are as cheap or cheaper from which to choose, if one does not prefer retiring abroad.

Shush now!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :dance:

heh heh heh - my lips are sealed. Now if the Chiefs could only do better in footbal! :D

Shush now!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :dance:

heh heh heh - my lips are sealed. Now if the Chiefs could only do better in footbal! :D

Hey, there's no rule that says you can't still root for the Saints, in the privacy of your own home anyway! :D I think it would be great if the Saints did really well this season, despite everything.

And don't worry - - I don't think the masses will descend upon Springfield, because there is no Trader Joe's or Ikea there. Oh, the horrors. :rolleyes:

And don't worry - - I don't think the masses will descend upon Springfield, because there is no Trader Joe's or Ikea there. Oh, the horrors. :rolleyes:

But they have the largest Bass Pro Shop in existence. It's a fantastic place to spend the day!

But they have the largest Bass Pro Shop in existence. It's a fantastic place to spend the day!

I love it! Those who pooh-pooh it, saying they have already been to a Bass Pro shop, don't know what they are turning down. I don't even hunt or fish and I love going there. We visit every time we are in Springfield. :D We have a Bass Pro shop here in southeast Louisiana, but it can't hold a candle to the one in Springfield.

Indeed! Who needs surf clam sashimi when they have a Bass Pro Shop!

Ha

Ha

Emmmmmm..... walleye filets cooked over the campfire and washed down with a tumbler of Jack Daniels and lake water, hold the ice........

Which reminds me, did ya ever notice how Jack Daniels mixed about 50/50 with lake water kills those little critters swimming around in there and you can just flick 'em away with your finger? Makes it real convenient.

Ha

Different strokes for different folks, and some worldly folks have such open minds that they can appreciate an amazing assortment of things and experiences. :)

Well, I know I dig when I have hear one. :( But anyway, bass fishing lost me when it became a competitive sport and people started spending huge amounts of money to buy those specialized boats. There is good bass fishing out in Eastern WA around Moses Lake. I haven't' been since my sons grew up, but my favorite way back then was a canoe if with them, and a float tube if alone or with another adult. As for the stores, no thanks. But I don't like hardware stores either. I am kind of allergic to gear.

Youbet, you are right, that is very good food and very good experience.

Ha

Last edited:
Well, I know I dig when I have hear one. :( But anyway, bass fishing lost me when it became a competitive sport and people started spending huge amounts of money to buy those specialized boats. There is good bass fishing out in Eastern WA around Moses Lake. I haven't' been since my sons grew up, but my favorite way back then was a canoe if with them, and a float tube if alone or with another adult. As for the stores, no thanks. But I don't like hardware stores either. I am kind of allergic to gear.

Ha

Ha, I didn't mean that to be a mean dig and I'm sorry if it came off as one. The Bass Pro store in Springfield is perhaps a little different than you envision. It does have fishing, camping, and hunting gear, and boats, but also a lot of other stuff almost like a department store (which is why I like it, even though I don't fish or hunt). I have some great socks, a blanket, and more that I bought there. It also has a public aquarium, several museums, arcade games, exhibits, events, and at least one restaurant. It encompasses several buildings and it's almost like a mini town and not much like the usual sporting goods store.

Last edited:
Mr. Ha, that was no dig. Both you and W2R are excellent examples of the multitude of ways one can enjoy life and retirement.

For sure. I need to just chill. I was being oversensitve. :blush:

Ha

Your're painting with a pretty broad brush. My experience is different - neither poor appreciation of geography nor hubris & attitude are the monopoly of any country or geographic collection of people.
+1.

Between the H1-B visa foreigners I worked with, the Latinas I danced with & dated, the friends I made working at a company that employed about 20 Anglos and about 600 immigrant and first generation born Latinos and Latinas, the diversity of nationalities in my hang gliding club (Brazil, Mexico, Australia, England, Norway, Israel, Netherlands) and a South African couple who settled in So Cal after spending six months traveling across America in a camper van looking for where they wanted to live, most talked about the diversity of Americans and American regions. This was often in response to my questions about where they'd lived because once I decided I'd had enough of LA I wanted to know first hand info about life in other places.

...and a South African couple who settled in So Cal after spending six months traveling across America in a camper van looking for where they wanted to live, most talked about the diversity of Americans and American regions. This was often in response to my questions about where they'd lived because once I decided I'd had enough of LA I wanted to know first hand info about life in other places.
and they don't have to be from SA. Our friends from Wisconsin bought a winter place in Arkansas, large on the golf course. After 5 years, they will probably sell it and just spend winters at their condo in PV. They find PV more suitable for them than Arkansas.

Of course, most of the expats here tend to be from northern states so they have more in common with them. Had they resettled in Arkansas while working, it might have made a difference integrating into that society.

Associating with American expats currently living overseas you quickly learn they rarely criticize the USA. Instead, regardless how they appreciate their current life, they usually quickly learn a new appreciation for many things American.

Most critical are the persons in the U.S. who do not realize how good they have it. I frequently tell those folks to get out more. In most countries when you walk by a U.S. Embassy there is a line of people waiting to apply or interview for immigrant visas. You do not see that with most other Embassies - even those open to immigration. Its good to think about what that means on a regular basis.

SM

Per the US tax issue of Expats. You are indeed taxed on your wholewide income. But you are given credit for any foreign taxes paid.

You don't have to pay full income taxes in Italy (for example) as well as the US. At most you'll just pay what you normally would in the US.

Italy has retirement visas.

If you keep most of your retirement accounts in the US and sell shares for annual spending what taxes would Italy impose beyond what you're already paying Uncle Sam?

Back
Top Bottom