Retirement Planning Calculator Evaluations

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is the most in-depth analysis of quite a few retirement planning calculators I have ever seen. If you are like me, you are always looking for a new calculator to validate what you might know already; and another calculator is always welcome. I was aware of most of the calculators in the review, so I think I have covered most, if not all of the calculators known to man. It’s a great list of calculators if nothing else.

And I even create my own spreadsheets too, in case I have a better understanding of money than Fidelity, Vanguard or Schwab… And I run the projections daily, or more often, in case something has changed in the past few hours.
Here is what was evaluated
  • Economic Security Planner/Basic (2 versions)
  • Pralana Retirement Calculator (2 versions)
  • Flexible Retirement Planner
  • Ultimate Retirement Calculator
  • FIRECalc
  • SmartMoney Retirement Planner
  • T Rowe Price Retirement Income Planner
  • CNN Money Retirement Calculators
  • AARP Retirement Calculator
  • MSN Money (CalcXML) Retirement Calculator
  • Charles Schwab Retirement Calculator
  • Vanguard Retirement Income Calculator
  • Vanguard Nest Egg Calculator

He doesn't evaluate Fidelity Income Planner or Quicken Lifetime Planner. Whether that was intentional (i.e. they out-shined his tool?) , or it was outside his scope, I am not sure. He is trying to sell his calculator and has a free version too.

I have been playing around with his free calculator. It is a bit cryptic and has a few things that are not as intuitive as some of the other calculators, but it is another validation. If I only knew how long I would live, it would make the planning a lot easier… And I am very optimistic in my life expectancy.

Spoiler Alert: I like FireCalc as another method of validating a plan, but FireCalc is not the comparison favorite.

Calculator Evaluations

Note: From the linked website
I am in the business of designing and selling a family of retirement calculators, so I am somewhat biased.
Caveat emptor

I would like one that took into consideration the ACA subsidies.

Here's a free one that I discovered today (re-discovered?) while searching this site for wisdom on an unrelated topic:

Retiree Portfolio Model - Bogleheads

Back
Top Bottom