Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
.... and more importantly not from California......
Oh, then they will hate me anyway. I grew up in the SF Bay Area. Probably the only thing worse than being from California is being from New York City. Oh wait, I am from New York City.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
THE most important thing for you to find out is if there is a hospital with a catheterization lab/cath lab nearby that could get to you quickly. (snip)
Why THE most important thing? I agree this would be important if I were at high risk of heart attack, but AFAIK I'm not (although I admit it would be prudent to get checked by a doctor before I count on that too much). My cholesterol has always been normal, I'm not overweight, don't smoke or overindulge in alcohol, and my BP is typically in the "good thing I'm not any taller" range. I do have near relatives, including one parent, with heart problems, but have never had any indication I am affected myself (unlike some of my siblings who seem to have taken after that side of the family and have high cholesterol and/or BP).

Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
<shudder> Florida. Really not for me in so many ways. But I do need to scout out more college towns.
Lincoln Nebraska? I'm afraid, very afraid to see what you will say.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
<shudder> Florida. Really not for me in so many ways. But I do need to scout out more college towns.

I'm not crazy about Florida either and I live here . I do like the weather and the beaches . If I was looking for a new place to live I'd probably look for a smaller beach town .
Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #45

Quote:
Oxford OH
home of Miami University (the red hawks, not the hurricanes)

About 50 minutes from Cincinnati
probably about 20 minutes from Indiana line (never went further than Oxford on the road, but I know Indiana is just around the corner).

Houghton, MI- home of Michigan Tech
Ann Arbor also strikes me as a college town, but I lived there when I was just out of college, so that might distort my view somewhat...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Upper midwest has too lousy a climate for me to voluntarily live there. Thinking CO, possibly NM, prob not UT, maybe AZ, WA, OR, etc.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Oh, then they will hate me anyway. I grew up in the SF Bay Area. Probably the only thing worse than being from California is being from New York City. Oh wait, I am from New York City.
I'm a NYC wanna-be , grew up 35 miles north near the Bear Mt bridge on the Hudson River. Both parents were from Westchester.
Upstate NY folks really have an atitude against "downstaters" because of the unequal way the state taxpayers' money is apportioned. I can't say I blame the local folks for feeling that way, but it was not my personal vote.
Small towns tend to be like that, when folks haven't been or lived anywhere outside a 50 mile radius. I definitely am very different. I've given up trying to blend in.
Mission Impossible...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Upper midwest has too lousy a climate for me to voluntarily live there. Thinking CO, possibly NM, prob not UT, maybe AZ, WA, OR, etc.
WA has some very good possibilities. Bellingham (Western WA U)- maybe a little large for a college town, but definitely a college city and a very nice one. From my POV its only drawback is pretty stormy weather compared to Seattle. Another is Cheney, just west of Spokane. (Eatern WA U.) Walla Walla, down on the Oregon border is a twofer, a nice college and a maximum security state pen! Very good weather, very good recreation summer and winter. Ellensburg (Central WA U) is nice, just across Snoqualmie pass from Seattle but perhaps a bit small. I used to take my kids there for violin contests, and I always enjoyed the town greatly to visit. Good nearby outdoor recreation. Even Spokane has several colleges. While it is is not dominated by colleges, it has several, Gonzaga the basketball power, and Whitman and maybe others. Washington State U is in the SE corner of the state, in Pullman. Good weather but this is really a small place dominated by the school. Only other thing around to my eye at least is wheat fields. U. of Idaho is only 20 or so miles to the east as I remember, in Moscow. The eastern part of WA is much more like the Mountain West socially and politically than it is like Puget Sound.

In Washington once you leave Seattle prices drop a lot, though not to Midwest levels. A couple I know with scant retirement income and little savings just bought a nice house in the NW part of Spokane. IMO Spokane is a great place, nice warm summers, and sometimes cold and snowy winters. Airport with overall good connection. Big enough for quality big city hospitals and doctors. Great nearby outdoor recreation- ski-ing, X-country, hunting and fishing, etc.

Ha
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

America's Best Affordable Places to Retire - US News and World Report
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #50

Spending some time in Aberdeen-Hoquiam would be the best way to determine if you want to live there.
It is a 3 hour drive to Portland and I suspect a little less to Seattle.
I'm fairly familiar with the area since I have family there and visit regularly as well as spending some time at a friends beach house in a small town at the coast there.
Small town is all relative, Aberdeen is big compared to the small town I lived in as a child and small compared to Seattle or Portland. There is a hospital there, but I have no idea of the capabilities available.
The Walmart store seems to be the business that never lacks for customers in the area.
It is definitely economically depressed. The mill closing several years ago had a big impact on the area. There was a plan to sell and restart the mill a year or so ago that never worked out.
Good luck with your relocation plans and interest in pursuing a lower cost of living!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Why THE most important thing? I agree this would be important if I were at high risk of heart attack, but AFAIK I'm not (although I admit it would be prudent to get checked by a doctor before I count on that too much). My cholesterol has always been normal, I'm not overweight, don't smoke or overindulge in alcohol, and my BP is typically in the "good thing I'm not any taller" range. I do have near relatives, including one parent, with heart problems, but have never had any indication I am affected myself (unlike some of my siblings who seem to have taken after that side of the family and have high cholesterol and/or BP).
(That was kyounge's quote, but I did it wrong, obviously.)

It was just a suggestion that I, personally, would take. To quote Clint Eastwood. "Do you feel lucky?"
Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Communities around Bremerton, WA are worth a look. I live on Bainbridge Island, which doesn't make the list of inexpensive housing but Silverdale just might. What I notice are the number of Navy medical professionals who stay in the area. They are top notch. I have heard good things about Bremerton's Harrison Hospital, the Navy has their own facility, the VA has a domiciliary (nursing home to us non-Vets) and Seattle's facilities are just a ferry (or chopper) ride away.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #53

I'd love to live on Bainbridge Island myself...lucky.
What do you think of Tacoma?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't consider Tacoma, but Gig Harbor is worth a look. It now costs ~$4 to cross the Narrows bridge but that is cheaper than the ferry to Seattle.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
(big snip). IMO Spokane is a great place, nice warm summers, and sometimes cold and snowy winters. Airport with overall good connection. Big enough for quality big city hospitals and doctors. Great nearby outdoor recreation- ski-ing, X-country, hunting and fishing, etc.

Ha
IMO, temperatures in Spokane during the summer are frequently well above the point at which they can be described as either "nice" or "warm". I think "sizzling hot" would be more accurate. If you do not like hot weather (i.e. high eighties to nineties, with occasional forays into triple digits), you won't like Spokane.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Average high temp for Spokane during the warmer 2 warm months is about 85. It certainly can hit 100....but not that often. And......it's a "dry" heat, not much humidity. People keep forgetting (or didn't know) that Wash/Ore are only wet on the west side of the state....the east side is dry...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
People keep forgetting (or didn't know) that Wash/Ore are only wet on the west side of the state....the east side is dry...
Yep. We're talking DESERT in much of these areas. We're just west of Spokane. When we travel, I'm always amused when people ask us if we ever get sick of all that rain.

As for the heat, we make it a priority to spend as much July/August time as possible in the Puget Sound area for the more moderate temperatures.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #58

Quote:
IMO, temperatures in Spokane during the summer are frequently well above the point at which they can be described as either "nice" or "warm". I think "sizzling hot" would be more accurate.
I guess it's all relative. One person's "sizzling hot" is another Texan's "mild."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #59

Yep, I don't consider 80's-90's and dry air hot. I lived in Okinawa for 5 years and summers are 90 and HUMID. I didn't mind it too much, but that sure made me sweat hard. I LIKE 4 seasons so I look forward to a little heat in the summer and some snow during the winter. Thought about going to a place like Florida, but tooooo flat and no cold weather...oh, a bit humid at times as well.....oh, and bugs...oh......and oh.......
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I wouldn't consider Tacoma, but Gig Harbor is worth a look. It now costs ~$4 to cross the Narrows bridge but that is cheaper than the ferry to Seattle.
Gig Harbor might be nice, but unfortunately, real estate in there is even more expensive than in Seattle, and the cost of living well above U.S. average (according to the Gig Harbor page at City-Data.com).