Revisit tIRA to Roth conversions

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know, many discussions about this. I have a final question.

I read this in a Kiplinger Article:

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/i...e=SYN-yahoo&utm_medium=referral&rid=SYN-yahoo

"For example, let’s say that you file jointly and your taxable income is $50,000. That puts you in the 12% tax bracket. The income level at the top of the 12% bracket is $77,400. So you have $27,400 to go before you inch into the 22% bracket ($77,400-$50,000). This means you could convert $27,400 from your IRA to your Roth IRA without jumping into the next tax bracket. The amount you convert, $27,400, would be taxed at 12%.
If you retire at 60, and tax rates stay where they are, and you repeated this process each year until age 70½, you could convert $274,000. That money, now in the Roth, will grow tax-free. In addition, the balance of your IRA will be $274,000 lower at age 70½, so your required distributions will be less. In addition, the growth that would have occurred on the $274,000 in your IRA will now be in your Roth growing tax-free"

"You can convert any amount you want. There are no income restrictions."

I always thought you were limited to a $7K contribution to the Roth. Now, I understand, there is no limit to converting from tIRA to Roth, is that correct? Ignore the tax implications (I get that).

Life is difficult because technical tax words look the same as man-on-the-street lingo. Conversions are sometimes termed by some as conversion contributions since they add to the "basis" in the Roth similar to how contributions (sometimes called original contributions) do. You need to be aware that the two types exist and figure out what lingo the writer is using.

In a similar manner the term "taxable income" is used in the Kiplinger article in the OP. There it does not just mean income that is taxable. It is a "technical" tax term that refers to a specific line on the tax return.........income after adjustments and deductions. btw.....the number in the article is from a prior yr and is a bit higher now.

Rianne, contributions are different from conversions.

Contributions are taxed new money going into the Roth and tributions are limited.

Conversions are transfers from a traditional 401k or tIRA to a Roth and are not limited but are income in the year converted.

...I read this in a Kiplinger Article:

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/i...e=SYN-yahoo&utm_medium=referral&rid=SYN-yahoo

"For example, let’s say that you file jointly and your taxable income is $50,000. That puts you in the 12% tax bracket. The income level at the top of the 12% bracket is $77,400. So you have $27,400 to go before you inch into the 22% bracket ($77,400-$50,000). This means you could convert $27,400 from your IRA to your Roth IRA without jumping into the next tax bracket. The amount you convert, $27,400, would be taxed at 12%.
If you retire at 60, and tax rates stay where they are, and you repeated this process each year until age 70½, you could convert $274,000. That money, now in the Roth, will grow tax-free. In addition, the balance of your IRA will be $274,000 lower at age 70½, so your required distributions will be less. In addition, the growth that would have occurred on the $274,000 in your IRA will now be in your Roth growing tax-free" ....

A small nit.... while it is true that the top of the 12% tax bracket for MFJ for 2019 is $77,400... the top of the 0% preferenced income tax bracket is $77,200... so if one has $200 or more of preferenced income in that $50,000 and converts $27,400, then the first $27,200 is taxed at 12% and the last $200 gets taxed at 27% (12% + 15%) rather than 12%.... that is why many of us convert to the top of the 0% preferenced income tax bracket of $77,200 rather than to the top of the 12% tax bracket of $77,400.

The last thread on this http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/maximum-annual-roth-conversion-amount-100326.html asked exactly the same question, so there was no need to start yet another thread.

The answer is that there is no limit on conversions.

I suggest this thread be closed or merged with the other one so we don't have any follow ups spread over duplicate threads.

If all the similar threads were combined, there would only be about three active threads at any given time...

If all the similar threads were combined, there would only be about three active threads at any given time...
This wasn't similar, this was the exact same question in a thread that was active this week.

Back
Top Bottom