Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Still, I can see them putting RMDs on a Roth to limit how much gets passed on, but not taxing any of it.
More likely, to get that money in a taxable account where earnings/gains from that point will be subject to tax.
__________________

gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Then how do you track being able to withdraw the principal but not the gains without a penalty?
I have a spreadsheet showing the contributions I made each year, and downloaded all available statements online from VG. But the problem is, I'm missing statements for the years 2001-2004 (Vanguard's online records don't go back that far). I've used the maximum allowed contribution during those years as placeholders, but all I have to go on is an ending balance for 2005 of $12K (I made a $4K contribution that year). Depending on market gains/losses, I could have made contributions going back as far as 2001.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could solve this problem? Can I ask VG for archived statements?
__________________

HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #103
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 994
.

I'm happy this bill is very likely to become law.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #104
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post

What has been left out of the discussion is that inherited IRA's must be spent within 10 years. That will help pay for some of this.

News article I read said the companion Senate bill has it at 5 years.
So that will need to be compromised before the bill is passed.

.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
.

I'm happy this bill is very likely to become law.
Why? What are the pros and cons for you?

To me, the elimination of a stretch IRA for DS does not sit well. I can live with it (pun intended), but to me it out weighs the 1.5 year extension to RMD time.

OTOH, the only reason this matters, is my IRA is significant. First world problem.
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I have a spreadsheet showing the contributions I made each year, and downloaded all available statements online from VG. But the problem is, I'm missing statements for the years 2001-2004 (Vanguard's online records don't go back that far). I've used the maximum allowed contribution during those years as placeholders, but all I have to go on is an ending balance for 2005 of $12K (I made a $4K contribution that year). Depending on market gains/losses, I could have made contributions going back as far as 2001.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could solve this problem? Can I ask VG for archived statements?
Do you have your tax forms for all those years?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #107
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

Why? What are the pros and cons for you?

No cons in the House bill for me.

It extends RMD two years for me and that's two more years of taking a smaller distribution and still paying zero income tax.

.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 22,192
I'm still confused about the proposed changes to an inherited IRA as the language seemed off.

If a non-spouse inherits your IRA and is less than 10 years younger than you, what are the rules?
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm still confused about the proposed changes to an inherited IRA as the language seemed off.

If a non-spouse inherits your IRA and is less than 10 years younger than you, what are the rules?
From what I could gather, a non-spouse loses the stretch IRA ability unless they are a child of the decedent, and meets certain restrictions (very young, disabled, etc). The house bill requires the IRA to be emptied in 10 years, the senate is 5 years. There is an exemption in the senate bill for $400k, I think.

I'll wait and see what they actually do.
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,998
This won't affect the IRA's I inherited, but whoever gets my IRA's is screwed. I should have converted more in the down years, but hindsight and all that...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Why? What are the pros and cons for you?

To me, the elimination of a stretch IRA for DS does not sit well. I can live with it (pun intended), but to me it out weighs the 1.5 year extension to RMD time.

OTOH, the only reason this matters, is my IRA is significant. First world problem.
Yes. I chose to take RMD's from an inherited IRA over 5 years instead of using my life expectancy. My bad. In my grief, I wasn't thinking through the options clearly. It pushed my husband and I into the next higher tax bracket for those 5 years. It's not something I'd recommend to anyone. I'd hate to see it become a law, even over 10 years.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
This won't affect the IRA's I inherited, but whoever gets my IRA's is screwed. I should have converted more in the down years, but hindsight and all that...
Screwed? No.
Someone is getting $ they didn’t earn.
They’ll have to pay more taxes on the money being given to them.
They’re not getting screwed, they are just not making out as much as before.
You can always refused or disclaim the inheritance, then you don’t have to pay any taxes. Problem solved.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #113
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 994
.

Also, only the House version of the bill increases the RMD age to 72.

Hopefully, Senators will get on board and change their Senate version of the bill to match the House version... unless they prefer civilian life.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 337
"Lawmakers in both the House and Senate are considering bipartisan bills aimed at making it easier for Americans to save for retirement."

Why do I think "making it easier" is just a ruse?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.
USGrant1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: DC area
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
.

Also, only the House version of the bill increases the RMD age to 72.

Hopefully, Senators will get on board and change their Senate version of the bill to match the House version... unless they prefer civilian life.
I kinda doubt that changing RMDs by 18 months (or not) is a big threat to a Senator's seat.
__________________
Semi-ER March 24, 2017
USGrant1962
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
"Lawmakers in both the House and Senate are considering bipartisan bills aimed at making it easier for Americans to save for retirement."

Why do I think "making it easier" is just a ruse?
Many BOHICA-oriented bills have very positive, upbeat-sounding titles.
__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #117
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I kinda doubt that changing RMDs by 18 months (or not) is a big threat to a Senator's seat.
LOL, yeah, unless it's a one vote difference race in Helena's district, I don't see this being a factor.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #118
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Screwed? No.
Someone is getting $ they didn’t earn.
They’ll have to pay more taxes on the money being given to them.
They’re not getting screwed, they are just not making out as much as before.
You can always refused or disclaim the inheritance, then you don’t have to pay any taxes. Problem solved.
Well.... I see both points.
For anyone other than a spouse inheriting, I don't see a provision that provides for different taxation on earned income versus income from the inherited IRA.

For our sons and daughters inheriting, I am assuming any income they make on their own will be bumped into higher tax brackets by the 5 or 10 year payout of an inherited IRA. This may be a tax torpedo for them.

If this passes with the $400K limit...and a 5 year inherited payout then I will start to take distributions. I have more after tax liquid assets than deferred but I am still over that threshold on deferred as I am sure most of us are. Under 400K and they can stretch it...right?
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 AM   #119
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post

I kinda doubt that changing RMDs by 18 months (or not) is a big threat to a Senator's seat.

For me, it's two years.

Two years make a big difference to me and probably to many others.

Today, I called my two Senators to let them know.

.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I kinda doubt that changing RMDs by 18 months (or not) is a big threat to a Senator's seat.
In general killing the stretch IRA will have more long term effect.
For someone who might inherit a (stretch ) IRA with 1 or 2 mil, the death of the stretch would be a significant hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
For me, it's two years.

Two years make a big difference to me and probably to many others.

Today, I called my two Senators to let them know.

.
However, we all look at how it affects us individually.
__________________

bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going back to college at 65, and going Greek as well SumDay Life after FIRE 6 03-16-2013 08:04 PM
Going, Going, Gone? CitizenK Hi, I am... 24 04-10-2012 04:00 PM
Wamu ~ going, going.... VaCollector Stock Picking and Market Strategy 8 09-25-2008 10:36 PM
IRA RMD Stuff TromboneAl FIRE and Money 12 02-15-2006 06:08 AM
Did you miss the RMD last year? mickeyd Life after FIRE 4 01-14-2005 09:07 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.