Roth withdrawal while on ACA

Murf2

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all! I'm sorry to post this question but I've tried searching on Taptalk to no avail.
I'm in a bind and need to get some money, fast.

I think I can withdraw from my Roth IRA with no impact on ACA MAGI.Is this correct and are there any possible "got ya's" that I need to be aware off?
Thanks
Murf

Not enough info. Are you eligible to withdraw from the roths tax free? There are 5 year rules and age considerations.

Withdrawals from your Roth IRA are deemed to be done in the following order by law: First, contributions, second, conversions, third, earnings.

In the most probable case, if your net Roth IRA contributions to date are greater than the amount you intend to withdraw, there would be no taxes nor penalties. In this case, the amount withdrawn would also not count against you for ACA MAGI purposes, because you're just withdrawing your own money, so it does not count as income.

If you plan to withdraw enough such that you will exceed all of your Roth contributions to date, then it would depend on if you have any conversions and when those conversions were made. It also might depend on your age, not sure about that.

In any case, you're responsible for reporting the withdrawal on your taxes in Part III of Form 8606. And of course, you're responsible for keeping track of your Roth contributions and conversions so you can properly file taxes in years to come.

Also, you're losing out on tax-free growth on whatever you withdraw over the rest of your lifetime.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of info. I'm kinda worked up right now.

This is a Roth rollover that has had no contributions for at least 10 years. I am 60 YO and the withdrawal would be less than 10 percent of the total balance.

Is there any other info I need to add?

Thanks again!

Here is the kawill table on Roth withdrawals from the fairmark.com site:
Looks like you belong in the last category : > 59.5 y.o. and oldest Roth > 5 y.o.
.........so all distributions are qualified.....no taxes/penalty ......so will not contribute to your income for ACA purposes.

Roth IRA Distribution Table

UNDER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEAR CONVERSION HOLDING PERIOD NOT MET

Contributions: Tax-No Penalty-No
Conversions: Tax-No Penalty-Yes (Taxable Portion)
Conversions: Tax-No Penalty-No (Nontaxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes Penalty-Yes

UNDER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEAR CONVERSION HOLDING PERIOD MET

Conversions: Tax-No Penalty-No (Taxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes Penalty-Yes

OVER AGE 59.5
LESS THAN FIVE YEARS SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

Conversions: Tax-No Penalty-No (Taxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes Penalty-No

OVER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEARS OR MORE SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

All Distributions Are Qualified

No Taxes
No Penalties

Note: The table is not applicable to timely distributions of excess contributions or return of regular contributions.

.....This is a Roth rollover that has had no contributions for at least 10 years. I am 60 YO ....

.....OVER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEARS OR MORE SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

All Distributions Are Qualified

No Taxes
No Penalties

Note: The table is not applicable to timely distributions of excess contributions or return of regular contributions.

I think you are home free.

I understand you're worked up. I don't know what's going on in your life.

I agree with the others that you'd be OK from an ACA MAGI perspective.

I guess I would encourage you, if you can, to just take a little time to look at your alternatives to see if there is a better one. Maybe you already have.

Thank you all very much. I believe you've confirmed what I thought.

I will check out my alternatives, as mentioned.

Thanks again!
Murf

Thank you all very much. I believe you've confirmed what I thought.

I will check out my alternatives, as mentioned.

Thanks again!
Murf

Might not apply to you but some alternatives:

take needed monies out of a home equity loan

cash value of a life insurance policy - only the contributions made (not the earnings) would be exempt from MAGI.

Back
Top Bottom