Save more or buy now??

Atwo

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone...I would appreciate any advice on the situation I am currently facing.

Like I said before, I'm 29 years old, and married with one young daughter. I've been in my job for about 4 years now and its pretty stable and I earn a decent salary and benefits. My question has to do with the extra income I have when the month is over and I have finished paying all my bills.

Here is a snapshot of my financial situation (all figures in USD equiv)

* Registered retirment accounts: >$25k
* Emergency fund and cash: >$30k
* Unregistered stocks: >$2k
* 1/3 share in single family dwelling

At present I am living in the property and contributing to the mortgage as the rental market is downright terrible at the moment.

My question has to do with do I buy a piece of land now, and use about half of my cash (utilizing cash first and not emergency fund), or wait and save more. Land in my country continues to rise and a house is out of the question at the time since I am already carrying debt from the residential property. Banks are giving about 2% interest and land prices, while come down a bit recently, are still generally on the upward trend. I could buy a piece with a 20% d/p and pay off monthly...utilizing any extra cash to pay it off quicker. I ran my monthly numbers and could afford to comfortable pay about $800 per month for any land I buy.

Would really appreciate any advice....

It might help if you told us where you live. Raw land is generally a bad investment.

Hi Travelover...I live in the Caribbean

In general, real estate is a bad investment because of the overhead (taxes, etc), with the exception of rentals. Unless you are getting a steal, I would wait. Continue to look around for a motivated seller.
TJ

Some of the best investment decisions that I've ever made have involved the purchase of land. As per the old saw, "they ain't making any more of it anymore." Undoubtedly, there are overhead costs----but if you can cover those----and the rate of price appreciation is still positive, I don't see why you shouldn't "go for it."

Back
Top Bottom