Sell in May and Go Away?

Buy in September if you remember.

There’s a book/journal called the “Stock Trader’s Almanac”. I picked up a copy this year. It has all the statistics regarding the “best” months for being in and out of the market for the DJIA, S&P 500, and NASDAQ. It also goes into the $10K model about getting out in May and getting back in during October. Also goes into saying that certain MACD signals can be used to get an exact date to get out in April and back in October and if used during the last 30 years you too could be a multi-gazillionaire. And of course, you can sign up through their website and pay an extra fee to get these signals emailed to you when they occur-skeptical…

The book is full of stats as well as a daily calendar for all the days of the year with historical statistics listed on most days (whether the market closed historically down or up on that day of the month). Even if this strategy turns out to be BS, it’s still a pretty nice hardcover organizer/planner. (cost is about $30 from Amazon)
The book also says that this data is not really applicable during election years, so we’ll see if it works next year.
With commission costs so low, may be fun to try with DIA, SPY and QQQ in the “in” months and TLT in the off months with a small portion of the portfolio.
Flip side: with this knowledge widely distributed now, will it really work for the next 30 years or do you let the lemmings play the strategy and start bargain shopping when they all sell in May:confused::confused:

"Flip side: with this knowledge widely distributed now, will it really work for the next 30 year"

NO!

I am a Capricorn, will this work for me?

QUOTE=SRyan;1183104]There’s a book/journal called the “Stock Trader’s Almanac”. I picked up a copy this year. It has all the statistics regarding the “best” months for being in and out of the market for the DJIA, S&P 500, and NASDAQ. It also goes into the $10K model about getting out in May and getting back in during October. Also goes into saying that certain MACD signals can be used to get an exact date to get out in April and back in October and if used during the last 30 years you too could be a multi-gazillionaire. And of course, you can sign up through their website and pay an extra fee to get these signals emailed to you when they occur-skeptical…

The book is full of stats as well as a daily calendar for all the days of the year with historical statistics listed on most days (whether the market closed historically down or up on that day of the month). Even if this strategy turns out to be BS, it’s still a pretty nice hardcover organizer/planner. (cost is about $30 from Amazon)
The book also says that this data is not really applicable during election years, so we’ll see if it works next year.
With commission costs so low, may be fun to try with DIA, SPY and QQQ in the “in” months and TLT in the off months with a small portion of the portfolio.
Flip side: with this knowledge widely distributed now, will it really work for the next 30 years or do you let the lemmings play the strategy and start bargain shopping when they all sell in May:confused::confused:[/QUOTE]

Sell in August and eat a live chicken.

It's amazing that we're still on topic in this thread. Good job, people.

Buy in December, then hold onto your member!

I am a Capricorn, will this work for me?
No. You're mixing two different investing strategies. You can only have one and you have to choose, so it's either sell in May or investing with the stars.

I wonder if sell in May still works with the Mayan calendar.

No. You're mixing two different investing strategies. You can only have one and you have to choose, so it's either sell in May or investing with the stars.

I wonder if sell in May still works with the Mayan calendar.

Sell like a Mayan, or you'll be cryin'.

I sold in March and got back in 20% today.......
Same stuff I sold......... 2020 & 2025 funds. Not much for risk these days......
80% cash waiting to get back in....... over the next / whenever.....
Not for everyone, but works for me.

Is the Mayan calendar different? It seems like May has come really early this year, ouch 5 days in row. :(

Sell like a Mayan, or you'll be cryin'.

I think we have the makings of a bestselling investment newsletter here. You, T-Al and me. We can call it "The R Factor" and only the three of us know that "R" stands for rhyme. And in the remote possibility that it does not sell, T-Al can put some melody to the phrases and play them as original songs.

We'll be rich.

I think we have the makings of a bestselling investment newsletter here. You, T-Al and me. We can call it "The R Factor" and only the three of us know that "R" stands for rhyme. And in the remote possibility that it does not sell, T-Al can put some melody to the phrases and play them as original songs.

We'll be rich.

Yes! It's an incredible offer with a free! audio newsletter to start, where we rhyme all of the months with an investment strategy! Free! Then every week through the year we rhyme using the days of the week, major holidays, and minor holidays, and finish up with special times of the day and night ("You can't go wrong when you buy at dawn!"). Downloadable to your smart phone or tablet of choice, no extra charge for T-Al's original score.

Yes! It's an incredible offer with a free! audio newsletter to start, where we rhyme all of the months with an investment strategy! Free! Then every week through the year we rhyme using the days of the week, major holidays, and minor holidays, and finish up with special times of the day and night ("You can't go wrong when you buy at dawn!"). Downloadable to your smart phone or tablet of choice, no extra charge for T-Al's original score.

That sounds like work. :sick: I'll leave that to you three while I sit on the sidelines with popcorn, as properly befits the Oracle of Whee. ;)

Maybe we can get help from Johnny Cochran.

Back
Top Bottom