Senior Discount Central~Post all discounts here

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I thought that I would start this as a result of the post below on another thread.

Quote:
Sorta like the "senior discounts" that are available to us now.
Seems like this would be a good time to start a thread that captures all known "senior discounts" that there are in the world.

RE: Burger King~They offer a "senior drink" for 25 cents. It comes in a smallish cup however, you get unlimited self-serve refills so it's really a bottomless drink. (I was offered this deal when I was about age 55 or so when a BK worker, about age 16 or so, assumed that I was a senior. Ever since that time I have asked for a "senior drink" and was given a cup as described above.) Similar deal @ Whataburger (for TX folks).

Your turn....:cool:

Many fast food joints offer a senior discount of some sort. They rarely offer it to you unless you ask - so ask "Do you offer a senior discount?". The worst outcome is your bill stays the same.

Most restaurants have a senior menu. If you don't see it, ask if one is available.

Next...

I'll post as soon as I get back from Burger King :)

MacDonald's sells a senior coffee. It seems to vary in price- most of the McD's I go to it is about a buck whereas my brother who lives near Ft. Worth pays about 25 cents.

Value Village gives a senior discount- 10 or 15% as I remember. Ross Stores gives senior discount, I believe my store is 10% on a certain day of the week only. (Tuesday?)

The best is senior discounts on travel. King County Metro lets me ride anywhere, anytime, for 50 cents. Southwest Air has a senior rate which is usually but not always less than whatever other rate you might find.

On Metro, the age is 65- I believe SW Air is the same. For Metro I had to prove my age and pay $3 for a lifetime pass. If I am feeling good and look young some drivers will ask to see it. Mostly they do not.

When I was younger I hated it when I was offered a discount, but I like it now.

Ha

Here is one of the best travel discounts around.

The National Park Service offers the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass for $80.

If you are 62 they offer the same pass for $10 - and it is good for the rest of your life!

The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.

National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

I've never understood why age discrimination in general pricing is legal when it's not legal for gender or race or religion or sexual orientation or marital status or......

I've never understood why age discrimination in general pricing is legal when it's not legal for gender or race or religion or sexual orientation or marital status or......

My guess is at one point in time people had respect for their elders and choose to cut them a break.

DH got free tea at Whataburger. The age requirement was 55 and he was 54. They didn't ask his age, they just automatically gave it to him! I laughed so hard...poor guy. :D

When I become a senior citizen many years from now, I'll let you know what deals I get.....;)

My guess is at one point in time people had respect for their elders and choose to cut them a break.
Yeah, let's "respect" Warren Buffett by giving him 20% off of a meal when some other younger working-class schmuck pays full fare. Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are other ways to show deference and respect than discriminating on price.

Yeah, let's "respect" Warren Buffett by giving him 20% off of a meal when some other younger working-class schmuck pays full fare. Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are other ways to show deference and respect than discriminating on price.

Does it bother you children get a cheaper rate on certain things also?

I received a senior discount at a west coast fast food joint and .....

I'm not anywhere near a senior age.

Should I ....

a) be happy to pay less or

b) be offended that someone thinks I look much older than I am? :cool:

Dang Ziggy...come by my house and I'll give you a free drink anytime....:D

You must not be a senior. :D

Does it bother you children get a cheaper rate on certain things also?
Sometimes -- at least when their age has nothing to do with the cost of providing the goods and services, I think it's a little shady.

If you're at an all-you-can-eat buffet where kids under 12 eat half as much as adults on average, I have no problem with charging half-price. (That's the same model insurance works on, more or less.)

By the same token, if on average, seniors at an all-you-can-eat buffet demonstrably eat 20% less, I'm okay with a 20% discount. But I don't understand why it's okay to charge different prices for the SAME level of goods and services. And I don't know why it's okay that I can't order off the senior menu or the kids' menu if the item/quantity I want is on that menu.

It's not okay for race, or gender, or marital status, or sexual orientation or religion. We don't allow a "15% white discount" or a "20% Jewish discount." And yes, I understand the counter-argument -- you can't "eventually become" white if you're Asian, you can't "eventually become" a man if you're a woman, and if you're true to your faith you can't "eventually become" a Christian if you're a Jew. But you can "eventually become" a senior citizen regardless of those things if you're fortunate enough to live that long. I get that. But it still doesn't seem right when the cost of providing the goods or services have nothing to do with age.

Sometimes -- at least when their age has nothing to do with the cost of providing the goods and services, I think it's a little shady.

If you're at an all-you-can-eat buffet where kids under 12 eat half as much as adults on average, I have no problem with charging half-price. (That's the same model insurance works on, more or less.)

By the same token, if on average, seniors at an all-you-can-eat buffet demonstrably eat 20% less, I'm okay with a 20% discount. But I don't understand why it's okay to charge different prices for the SAME level of goods and services. And I don't know why it's okay that I can't order off the senior menu or the kids' menu if the item/quantity I want is on that menu.

It's not okay for race, or gender, or marital status, or sexual orientation or religion. We don't allow a "15% white discount" or a "20% Jewish discount." And yes, I understand the counter-argument -- you can't "eventually become" white if you're Asian, you can't "eventually become" a man if you're a woman, and if you're true to your faith you can't "eventually become" a Christian if you're a Jew. But you can "eventually become" a senior citizen regardless of those things if you're fortunate enough to live that long. I get that. But it still doesn't seem right when the cost of providing the goods or services have nothing to do with age.

Perhaps you should enter politics and make this your platform. You should do really well. :)

Ha

You folks are witnessing one of the reasons I love this forum. Where else can you see such an impassioned discussion break out on the subject of senior discounts?

And it's FREE! You don't even have to be (or pretend to be) a senior citizen to qualify!

Yep, your entertainment dollar goes a long way here on E-R.org. ;)

Many fast food joints offer a senior discount of some sort. They rarely offer it to you unless you ask - so ask "Do you offer a senior discount?". The worst outcome is your bill stays the same.

Most restaurants have a senior menu. If you don't see it, ask if one is available.

Next...

Be sure to bring a copy of your 1st SS check as proof.:D

Orowheat Bakeries offer a 10% discount for 55 or over, but you have to ask for it.

These stores are franchises, so this may not apply across the country.

Regal Theaters offers a senior discount for 62 and over (don't know how much).

I'd say it's harder to make a constitutional case for allowing the government to tell a private business that they cannot discriminate based on any stupid criteria they choose. It would be largely self-limiting: How many people of any race/sexual orientation would go into a restaurant that refused to serve gays or blacks, or which charged them 10% more?

Anyway, Ziggy29, I'm waiting for airlines to implement your scheme and either start charging people by the pound or charging everyone the same rate regardless of when they buy their ticket.

I'm sitting here sipping on a scotch and water and reading all the blogs and you guys/gals are making my head hurt. Maybe it's the analyzing of discounts or maybe it's the scotch. Why take a chance--I'll get off for awhile and continue sipping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom