Senior Discount Central~Post all discounts here

I swear I’m going to join the Y in mid-January for the pool. Their senior rate (age 62 and up) is $45/mo. without an annual contract or joining fee.

I find it is often a better deal to declare myself a “student” by taking one class here and there. I have a membership in the Fine Arts Museums (two museums $45/year) and go to others on free days. Student rush seats at the opera are about half the senior rate.

Zig, did you ever see old folks fall asleep in the theater? They actually only see a few minutes of the show. I almost split a gut the time someone was snoring at the opera. He was in a $100 seat but I didn’t care because I was in the nearby cheap standing room section.

Yes, Wahoo, your entertainment dollar does go far here at E-R forums but I try to get out everyday also. Today I saw the “rat-cat-rottweiler stack” show for free today! Saw it from the bus so the guy couldn’t hit me up for spare change. And I stayed awake, I think; it was a quick ride. [deleted--I was confessing my cheapest secret--later.] Where is Uncle Mick? Gulp it down, Johnnie.

Around Florida Senior discounts are everywhere and they vary on the age requirement so when they ask me am I eligible I just say yes .The best is at the dollar movie they have a senior special of popcorn and a soda for $1.75 .

I used to agree 100% with Ziggy, but as I get older [-]closer and closer to qualifying[/-] I can't seem to remember why I was so offended by them... :)

I'm going to start wearing this--

Attachments

• p34861b.jpg
    p34861b.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 226
Old people also drive 20% slower on the roads, causing 20% greater traffic in slow lanes. Though we all know that old people are the only ones buying Lincolns and Buicks, which in turn is good for the US economy.

I'm torn, really. :angel:

Hardee's has senior coffee for 39¢...includes unlimited refills.

In Illinois, the DNR gives seniors and handicapped folks a break on hunting & fishing licenses:
CURRENT FEES
(INCLUDES AGENT’S FEES):
Resident sport fishing; annual . . . . . . . . . $13.00
Resident sport fish;
65 years old and over . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $6.75
Resident sport fishing;
disabled, blind . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE NEEDED
Sportsmen’s License . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $19.25
(combined hunting and fishing licenses)
Senior Sportsman’s License . . . . . . . . . . $10.00
(combined hunting and fishing licenses;
65 years old and over)

The tour company that we travel with a lot, is normally tilted toward seniors, so they always get senior group discounts wherever they go...shows, eateries, attractions, etc. And if you're not a senior...like me....you still get the discount, 'cause that's just the way it is. And heck, I sure ain't gonna complain about it!

If I go somewhere, and they offer me or give me a senior discount, that's fine with me. I don't expect to get one...but if offered, I grab it! I do ask if there's an AARP discount, or what the age requirement is for senior discounts if I see they offer one. If I'm booking a hotel or rental car, I'll also ask if there are any discounts for Union members.....sometimes there are....and I'm still a card carrying "retiree in good standing" member. And when I go to botanic gardens or similar places, I ask if there are discounts or other benefits for members of the American Hort. Society.....got free admission to the botanic gardens in San Antonio last month, and my Mom got their senior discount.

Public transportation in many cities offer senior discounts. Daytona Beach regular fare is $1...senior fare is 50¢. Our local taxi companies offer senior a discounted rate also, as our municipality helps subsidize that offer.

McDonald's Senior Coffee, Chicago area, 49 cents. And not bad..... :D

Wendy's (may be a repeat) 10% off the entire bill. You gotta to ask for it, if they do not.

Wow! 37 posts already. Am I ever late for the party.

Anyway, I notice that nobody seems to have a problem (nor should they) with coupons or other forms of [-]begging [/-] enticing customers to part with their money. Or, for that matter, the weekly "Sales" published in the local newspaper. Why single out the "senior" discount? Stop picking on the poor retailers. They are just trying to make a buck.

I've never understood why age discrimination in general pricing is legal when it's not legal for gender or race or religion or sexual orientation or marital status or......
It isn't legal to discriminate for us old folks, just against.

IHOP in our town has an early bird special between 3 and 5 pm, buy one dinner and large drink and get a free dinner.

Senior Discounts

Tons of places listed here.

2fer

Last edited:
IHOP in our town has an early bird special between 3 and 5 pm, buy one dinner and large drink and get a free dinner.
For those of you who awaken at 4 AM and are in bed by 7 PM, this is a real winner.

EDIT: I noticed you have to register and pay $7.95 per year membership fee before you can search the database and find discounts on the Senior Discounts website. Wonder why they don't offer a discount membership for seniors? :rolleyes:

I forgot about the 'early bird' deals! We have an 'upper crust' restaurant here in town (kind of a semi-ritzy joint, good grub, but fairly expensive), that offers an 'early bird' special menu. The menu contains most of the items on the regular menu...same portions too....but at about 1/2 to 2/3 the regular price. For them 'early bird' is 4pm to 6pm Monday-Friday....if the order gets turned in at 6:01pm, it's regular prices.

They also have a 'birthday special'. If you go there on your birthday (and they do ask to see your driver's license to verify your birth date and age), you receive the percentage off of your dinner according to the number of years you are old....i.e. if it's your 48th BD, you get 48% off....50th = 50% off. They now have a top limit at 50%...they just changed it in the last few years, as there never used to be a top limit. I took my Mom there for her 75th BD several years ago, and got 75% off her bill! Anything over 50 years, is now maxed at 50%.

So the best deal is to go between 4pm & 6pm, on your birthday....that way you not only get the 'early bird' price, but you also get the BD % discount too!!! What a deal!!! Get an 'early bird' dinner at about 50% off, then subtract another 50% of that for the BD discount......heck, you just got yourself a nice dinner for 25% of the normal price! Plus you get a BD, helium-filled balloon! Whoopy!! :D

Good angles, Goonie.:confused:

I took SO out on a birthday. Entire restaurant sang "Happy Birthday." Cake and candle was on them. We still go there on B-Days but don't tell the waiter anymore. Living Above Our Means?

Meijer's for those in the mid-west. They have Senior Days - 15% off on General Merchandise. Next one is tomorrow here in Central Ohio. The 15% is off the price even if it is a sale price. Helpful, if you do your homework on large ticket items before you go there to be sure the product can't be had cheaper someplace else.

I think a lot of department stores have a 10 or 15% senior discount on like Tuesday or Wednesday - but in reality - those are the days when the weekend sales aren't on - so not sure it is such a good deal.

Last year (ummm...make that 2007), when I was 49 yrs old, I went with my son to a Barnhill's restaurant in Bossier City, LA. Barnhill's is a buffet place. We paid up front before going to our table to give our drink orders to the waitress. My son looked at the ticket laying on the table & started laughing his ass off. Right on the bill, it showed our total amount paid, & for one of the meals it clearly stated "Senior Discount"! The lady taking our money who made out the ticket never asked my age, I guess she just made an assumption. I swear I don't look a day over 75 lol! Anyhow, my son enjoyed it. To tell the truth, I never thought I really even looked as old as I actually am. When I was in my late 20's & early 30's I was still regularly being carded when I entered a club. Did I protest the discount at the restaurant? Heck no!!!

Last edited:
For those of you who awaken at 4 AM and are in bed by 7 PM, this is a real winner.
Regarding dining at IHOP or any place open 24/7...it's best for senior citizens or anyone for that matter to eat early.

Of course if you're bored, you could go very late and watch the fist fights in the parking lot. It gets very interesting there especially on the w.e. when the bars have closed. :p

We went to the movies yesterday afternoon (Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons) and couldn't use our two for one coupon. But the kid did ring us in without asking us at the senior discount rate ($6 each--it's Cinemark on Mondays from now on for us!).

Back
Top Bottom