Senior Discounts

Packman

Recycles dryer sheets
I recently read that there was a web site (seniordiscounts.com, I think) that was the best source for finding a comprehensive list of how and when retail establishments offered discounts to seniors. I've been wonderiing for several years how to find out about this without having to ask everywhere when and if they provide a discount (a bit embarrassing). Unfortunately that web site charges a fee for membership/access.

Does anyone use this site? Are there other ways to find out where the best discounts are, and at what age?

I don't use it, and won't if I have to pay in order to do so.

I usually find out about senior discounts in conversations with other seniors. If it's a good discount, the word gets around. I'm sure I miss some.

Edited to add: About.com has a list of senior discounts here, that may be helpful.

Last edited:
I've been wonderiing for several years how to find out about this without having to ask everywhere when and if they provide a discount (a bit embarrassing).
What is embarrassing about asking if a retailer offers special pricing since so many do?

Heck, if you want, I'll lend you my cap:

Attachments

• senior discount.jpg
    senior discount.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 309
I like the cap. But since I'm only 54, I'm not sure if I qualify for a discount anywhere. But I'm an AARP member, that should count for something!

Packman, I started asking about your age and I was never "carded".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking the cashier a simple question when you check out: "Do you offer a Senior Discount?" 99/100 of the time the answer is either "Yes, sure" or "Sorry, we don't offer a Senior Discount".

Very few places will give a discount if you don't ask, no mater how "senior" you are...

Very few places will give a discount if you don't ask, no mater how "senior" you are...

My grocery store before Hurricane Katrina offered a 10% senior discount for 55+ on Wednesdays. I'd go there every week, get the same cashiers, but each time had to say, "I'm a senior" in order to get it. I guess their policy was not to ask anyone or assume anything, to avoid offending anyone.

Unfortunately, Katrina damaged it badly. Shortly thereafter it went belly up, and was bought by another chain that doesn't offer senior discounts (I asked).

Unless I would go someplace anyway, I don't worry about Sr. discounts (up front). However, I do ask for them just about every place. I no longer ask what age they consider "senior". I figure they have to tell ME what it is. I wouldn't lie to get it, but I wouldn't correct them if they gave it to me by mistake. In any case, what 19 year old clerk/cashier is going to ask my age? I've had a couple of "older" folks ask my age - to which I answered truthfully, even if it cost me 10%. One gal just said "You don't look 65." (I was 63 at the time). I responded "Why, THANK YOU, young lady!" She gave me the discount without pinning me down. I felt no guilt as I had not lied nor did she specifically state what the age limit was. I left the judgement to the cashier. Perhaps a fine moral line, but I believe I played the game well and was rewarded accordingly.

10% discount isn't enough to make me go out of my way for most things for which senior discounts are routine (meals mostly), but if I can get it without lying, I will.

This reminds me about something that happened to my wife (who is 52) after she got her haircut recently and went to the cashier and was asked if she was a senior. They were just trying to be nice to her since she goes there often. I think it screwed up her whole weekend. Guess it must be different for men from women. Wish they'd ask me that!

Senior discounts I like: Burgerville (a NW organic hamburger & other dishes chain headquartered in Vancouver, WA - tasty food) and Pharmaca which offers senior discounts on Tuesday (DIL sends me there to buy grand-kids vitamins).

Qualification for the discount is not an issue but to hear that they don't think I am that old makes my day (I will be 70 within a couple weeks). Now if they would only ask for ID when purchasing booze...

Senior discounts I like: Burgerville (a NW organic hamburger & other dishes chain headquartered in Vancouver, WA - tasty food) and Pharmaca which offers senior discounts on Tuesday (DIL sends me there to buy grand-kids vitamins).

Qualification for the discount is not an issue but to hear that they don't think I am that old makes my day (I will be 70 within a couple weeks). Now if they would only ask for ID when purchasing booze...
My faves-Uwajimaya 10% off all purchases on Tuesday, and Metro buses- 75 cents any time of day. I bought a tuna steak for dinner there today, and rode to and from on 75 cents total.

Ha

The senior discount for Seattle area transit can't be beat. That card is one I will carry to my grave!

I recently read that there was a web site (seniordiscounts.com, I think) that was the best source for finding a comprehensive list of how and when retail establishments offered discounts to seniors. I've been wonderiing for several years how to find out about this without having to ask everywhere when and if they provide a discount (a bit embarrassing). Unfortunately that web site charges a fee for membership/access.

Does anyone use this site? Are there other ways to find out where the best discounts are, and at what age?

Best deal, is at McDonalds. Here in the Silicon Valley, California.

Senior Coffee runs from 38 cents to 75 cents. Also, free refills.:greetings10:

Consumer Reports did a test a few years back. McDonalds beat Starbucks.

I have had Petes,and Starbucks, taste the same to me.

Consumer Reports did a test a few years back. McDonalds beat Starbucks.

Must be an individual preference thing.
DW and I have always agreed that McDonalds coffee was probably the worst tasting swill on the planet. When they switched to a newer form a couple of years ago, we tried it again, and although it's slightly improved, it is still definitely not worth buying at any price.

Back on track: here in Ohio, the state issues a "golden buckeye" card to seniors that gets you a small discount at an amazing array of retail establishments.

our local supercuts gives a senior discount. The girl asked me if I was a senior and as I opened my mouth to respond, she quickly said "close enough" and took two dollars off. I gave it back to her in a tip.

AAA and AARP have lists of discounts. Sometimes the AARP rate in a hotel is actually cheaper so I try both cards when making reservations.

Don't forget that often the cashier is a teenager working part-time. Anyone over 45 or so looks old to them. So, they won't hesitate to give senior discount if the establishment offers one.

...after she got her haircut recently and went to the cashier and was asked if she was a senior. They were just trying to be nice to her since she goes there often. I think it screwed up her whole weekend. Guess it must be different for men from women. Wish they'd ask me that!
It certainly seems to be. DW (age 63) is "offended" when offered a senior discount.

I'm (same age) offended if I'm not :LOL: ...

Remember - "I'm not as good as I once was - but I'm once good as I ever was" :ROFLMAO: ...

My grocery store before Hurricane Katrina offered a 10% senior discount for 55+ on Wednesdays.
My grocery does the same on Wednesdays. The problem is that their delivery truck for fruits and vegetables and other short shelf life items arrives on Thursdays. So, in my opinion, what they are doing is trying to use seniors to sell off stuff that is at the end of it's shelf life. It's not worth the 10% discount to buy old produce.

I like the cap. But since I'm only 54, I'm not sure if I qualify for a discount anywhere. But I'm an AARP member, that should count for something!
Packman - you're lucky. In less than a year, all kinds of discounts will open up for you. From what I've seen, the senior discounts begin at age 55. Ross Dress For Less offers 10% to 55 and over on Tuesdays, and my local market (Grocery Outlet) offers 10% to 55 and over twice a month. Not that I want to instantly be 8 years older (I'm 47) but it gives me something to look forward to :)

Some of the banks that we go to offer senior discounts at 50. Best offer I've seen is a free safe deposit box and free no fee checking accounts with free checks! Can't beat that, almost everyone can use a safe deposit box, I'm sure it's the smallest one, but no annual fee is a great thing and free checking accounts with free checks are becoming a thing of the past.

Heck, I ain't shy! I almost always ask if there is a senior discount wherever I go! The worst that can happen is that they'll say no, but many times they say yes! At restaurants I check the menu for the 'senior meals' or look to see if there's a senior discount mentioned. If I don't see it, I ask....I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty. Ah, who am I kidding....I'm cheap!!! Ha!

I always book our hotel reservations online, and check for 'senior', 'AARP', or 'retired' rates first thing. If I don't find them, I call the 800 number and ask. I also check their 'Best Rate' and compare it with the other rates offered. Upon check-in at the hotels, very few have ever asked for any verification to receive the quoted rate, but a few have asked to see my AARP card or proof that I was retired (I have a Union Retiree card).

At fast food joints, I just tell them I'll have the senior whatever....most of the places have senior drinks 1/2 off regular price (with refills). At Burger King senior drinks are 49¢ (coffee or soda).

When we go to Florida, we usually make a trip to Beall's to shop. Every Tuesday at Beall's is "50 & Fabulous" senior discount day.....an extra 15% off everything 'in store'. They usually have some pretty good sales going when we're there too, so if we find somethings we want we get another 15% off the sale price! Hard to beat! I like Columbia brand clothes, and when we they had a Columbia sale....IIRC, 20-40% off. Take off the extra 15%, and I bought about $200 worth of clothes for around $88!

I senior discounts!!!

Discounts and vegetables

My grocery does the same on Wednesdays. The problem is that their delivery truck for fruits and vegetables and other short shelf life items arrives on Thursdays. So, in my opinion, what they are doing is trying to use seniors to sell off stuff that is at the end of it's shelf life. It's not worth the 10% discount to buy old produce.

Remind me of a couple at an investment siminar when asked how risk averse he was. He said "at his age he didn't buy green bananas".

My fear is that all senior discounts will disappear now that more and more baby-boomers have reach 'senior' status.

Heck, everybody will be wanting one.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 5.36.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 5.36.37 PM.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 4
I am not sure, but I think senior discounts at retail establishments and museums around here are generally accepted to be 62 years of age or older. I will have no problems accepting them when I am eligible. Provided they still exist.
I met my cousin for a movie in Pittsburgh this past Saturday and the theater posted a senior discount of $6.00 versus the regular of $8.00. My cousin is 68, 12 years older than I, and she went first requesting the senior discount. When it was my turn, the cashier just looked at me inquiringly :rolleyes:, so I told him "I'm close, just not quite there yet...give me a regular ticket".

I am not sure, but I think senior discounts at retail establishments and museums around here are generally accepted to be 62 years of age or older. I will have no problems accepting them when I am eligible. Provided they still exist.
I met my cousin for a movie in Pittsburgh this past Saturday and the theater posted a senior discount of $6.00 versus the regular of $8.00. My cousin is 68, 12 years older than I, and she went first requesting the senior discount. When it was my turn, the cashier just looked at me inquiringly :rolleyes:, so I told him "I'm close, just not quite there yet...give me a regular ticket".

Recently, I traveled for several weeks with a friend who is 17 years older than me. Often a museum or other venue would list a senior price (usually 62+ or 65+) for which I did not qualify. My friend would ask the ticket seller if she could get the senior discount on both of our tickets if she was the one who purchased them. Each time, they told us "yes".

omni

Back
Top Bottom