Senior Discounts

Any senior discount that means I have to be some place at a specific time is an automatic no-go for me. Nothing I dislike more than being around a bunch of people just like me...

I'll sometimes "play their silly little game" as long as it also fits my schedule/life AND nets me savings on something I wanted in the first place. Oh, and for whatever strange reason, I've always enjoyed the company of folks my age and actually older. Sad that I am now losing life-long (my life) friends who are in the generation before me. I have found great wisdom and comfort from such folks and nothing beats talking over dinner/coffee with the elders - which I'm rapidly becoming. Getting a discount as well appeals to my frugal nature. It also empowers me to go out more often. YMMV

Seahawks Logo.jpg
I haven't confirmed if Albertsons grocery stores indeed have a 10% senior discount, but they do take 10% off your total purchase on Seattle Seahawks' game days--if you wear a Seahawks jersey to the store ("restrictions apply"). A hat, jacket or simple T-shirt doesn't suffice. And this is not restricted to seniors either.

Last edited:
Like Applebees well publicized Veterans Day free dinner for vets. No way I would venture out into that circus.

Admit I have gone to a Vet's Day celebration at Applebee's. Enjoyed the atmosphere of hangin' with other vets, swappin' duty experiences with folks I'd never met before, & seeing a few guys/gals tryin' to squeeze back into uniform (some more successfully than others ;)). The free meal was just an excuse to get the vets together.

These schemes all shift costs to lower income groups - those younger than 55 or so. I'd like to see some stores start offering youth discounts & see how seniors like that. The age discrimination complaints would be out of sight.

I got my first senior discount today at the local supermarket. I asked the cashier what was going on when the screen started lighting up with reduced prices. She said "oh, that's your senior discount"...I was pleased, and bummed at the same time...

R

Recently resumed playing golf. Last week when were were at the pro shop register to pay green fees, my retired neighbor reminded me I qualified for senior discount. Sad in a way that I now qualified for that senior discount, but depressed that the asst pro did not even ask to see my ID :(

That course could use a lesson in Marketing 101... course I play has a younger woman working there who, whenever she is handling the green fees, always mentions the senior discount and asks if you are old enough to qualify for it, even to people who go there regularly and joke about it. The flattery gets here everywhere was she also asks if there are any other items they need, and those who are flattered seem to end up buying a few additional items.

I cannot wait to use DH's senior discounts!!! He is not happy about it, but in four months we will be getting the AARP magazine :)

My local Kroger offers no senior discount.

omni

Our local Kroger chain (Fry's) does offer a 10% discount for 55+ on the first Wednesday of the month but have only used it a couple times, don't usually do my grocery shopping on Wednesday.

Only thing we seem to use is to buy most groceries on Thursday which is 5% off over 60 at Harris Teeter. Which I HATE has been bought by Kroger. Sorry is that offends any Kroger devotees.

I got my first senior discount today at the local supermarket. I asked the cashier what was going on when the screen started lighting up with reduced prices. She said "oh, that's your senior discount"...I was pleased, and bummed at the same time...

R

Why keep it a secret? Tell us all where you are getting the discount.

Also, read in the newspaper and was told by a WalMart employee, that they will honor any BOGO given at any other supermarket. Haven't tried it yet.

Another one of note that happened. We go Steak and Shake quite often. Love their burgers ans shakes. We used to have a seniors discount card but lost it some time back. As usual, today after our lunch, I asked the cashier for out discount. No problem she said. I asked her, why did you eliminate the discount cards? She told me that if people don't ask for the discount, they don't volunteer it and they are saving money by not printing the cards. Why give money away when it's not asked for or expected. She has a point. I'll bet they pick up at least $1M a year by just not giving out the automatic discount. Ask for it, you got it. Otherwise, no.

Last edited:
Another one of note that happened. We go Steak and Shake quite often. Love their burgers ans shakes. We used to have a seniors discount card but lost it some time back. As usual, today after our lunch, I asked the cashier for out discount. No problem she said. I asked her, why did you eliminate the discount cards? She told me that if people don't ask for the discount, they don't volunteer it and they are saving money by not printing the cards. Why give money away when it's not asked for or expected. She has a point. I'll bet they pick up at least $1M a year by just not giving out the automatic discount. Ask for it, you got it. Otherwise, no.

Oooooohhh! Steak and Shake!! Whenever I return to the midwest, I have to hit S & S at least once a week. Love their SteakBurgers, thin and crispy fires and just adore their chili. World's finest, IMHO. You are right, more and more restaurants (and other retail businesses) require you to ask for the discount. The "official" excuse I got from a manger once (someplace, not S & S) was "We don't want to insult anyone by assuming they are over our Sr. age limit." Okay, I buy that, but I'm sure it saves them a bundle, heh, heh.

JOHNNIE, thanks for the tasty memories!! Just about 9 more months or so and I'll be back at S & S.

I just moved to MA in July. One of the bennies here is the Senior Charlie Card on the T (subway and commuter rail system). (Background: the plastic cards that you use on the system and add money to are called Charlie Cards. Named after Charlie who needed "one more nickel" from the old Kingston Trio song.) The Senior Charlie cards are for those over 65. With them you get subway rides for $1 a trip (vs. $2 or $2.50) and commuter rail fares at 50% (fare is related to distance.) The only problem is that you have to go to a central T office and get your photo taken since they obviously don't want non-eligible riders using Senior cards.

My wife and I went to dinner in Boston a few weeks ago. $7 to park at the T station in Braintree and a total of $4 in T fares. Much better than hassling with Boston traffic and probably paying $20 to park in a garage on a Saturday night.

I just moved to MA in July. One of the bennies here is the Senior Charlie Card on the T

Very good point.
I go to DC often enough that last year I got one of their senior Metro discount cards to use on my visits. The savings are huge!

Lot's of places have student discounts.

I was very thankful for those when I was a poor college student.

I think I'd feel a little funny taking a senior discount while having substantial wealth. Of course, not having a job will probably change my feelings of what "wealthy" is substantially. :)

These schemes all shift costs to lower income groups - those younger than 55 or so. I'd like to see some stores start offering youth discounts & see how seniors like that. The age discrimination complaints would be out of sight.

The biggest senior citizen discount that I received is for the property tax.

Also some utilities offer SC discounts, but you have to ask for it. In our area, Water/Sewer and Disposal. Our municipality will also return a portion of your municipality taxes on Gas and Electric.

Note that the property tax relief depends on the state and locality greatly. In Tx if the local jurisdiction approves it is a freeze on the assesed value of the primary residence at the age 64 value. Over time if housing prices go up it is a good deal. This applies now to both school taxes and county taxes. So you need to check with local authorities to see how it works where you live.

This post is for Koolou! Went to Steak and Shake again today and told my wife about your post. It was a little cooler and rainy today and wife opted for chili.
That got me going and I ordered a chili five-way and a strawberry shake. It was great. Got the 10% discount and added that onto the tip for the waitress.

Eat your heart out Koolou.

I can't shake the feeling that senior discounts are going to start drying up around the time I'm old enough to get them. Then again, I guess that's the Generation X in me saying that, not expecting the "good deals" to last into my generation... :)
It's basically true. My brother for years has said, "By the time I am old enough for Medicare the only thing they will pay for will be assisted suicide." Just give 'em a few more years. Assisted suicide only, and the waiting list will still be 6 months.

Ha

Last edited:
Since this thread is current, I'll just add a list of Veterans Day (November 11) discounts I just received. Most of these were new to me. We have quite a few vets here, and these discounts normally apply to active duty, retired, and veterans on this one day per year.

McCormick & Schmick's seafood restaurants. Free entree from special menu to vets at participating locations.

Denny's. Free all you can eat pancakes.

Golden Corral. Free dinner 4pm to 9 pm.

Hooters. Free entree from special menu.

Applebee's. Free dinner.

Max & Erma's. Free dinner.

Chili's. Free entree from special menu.

Olive Garden. Free entree from special menu, 10% discount for accompanying family.

Red Robin. Free Tavern Double Burger & Steak Fries.

Texas Roadhouse. Free lunch 11am to 2 pm.

This post is for Koolou! Went to Steak and Shake again today and told my wife about your post. It was a little cooler and rainy today and wife opted for chili. That got me going and I ordered a chili five-way and a strawberry shake. It was great. Got the 10% discount and added that onto the tip for the waitress. Eat your heart out Koolou.

That is a great idea, passing the amount of the discount back to the waitress! Never thought of it, (although we do figure the tip on the undiscounted total).

This post is for Koolou! Went to Steak and Shake again today and told my wife about your post. It was a little cooler and rainy today and wife opted for chili.
That got me going and I ordered a chili five-way and a strawberry shake. It was great. Got the 10% discount and added that onto the tip for the waitress.

Eat your heart out Koolou.

I appreciate the sentiment, JOHNNIE. We ate at Denny's last night and passed our 20% discount to the waitress (on top of the tip). I was hungry and ate two $2.00 meals. Leaving at about 9:15 PM it was 75 degrees or so, balmy trade winds in the hair so we opened the "moon roof" for the trip home over the Ko'olaus. I have strongly considered sending S & S a letter requesting they open a franchise in the Islands. I think they would do well, but I don't think they are particularly growth minded. Too bad, as they are one of the few "fast food" places I'm passionate about. Glad you enjoyed S & S. I can live vicariously through your experience - until I return for the real thing. Much aloha.

Since this thread is current, I'll just add a list of Veterans Day (November 11) discounts I just received. Most of these were new to me. We have quite a few vets here, and these discounts normally apply to active duty, retired, and veterans on this one day per year.

McCormick & Schmick's seafood restaurants. Free entree from special menu to vets at participating locations.

Denny's. Free all you can eat pancakes.

Golden Corral. Free dinner 4pm to 9 pm.

Hooters. Free entree from special menu.

Applebee's. Free dinner.

Max & Erma's. Free dinner.

Chili's. Free entree from special menu.

Olive Garden. Free entree from special menu, 10% discount for accompanying family.

Red Robin. Free Tavern Double Burger & Steak Fries.

Texas Roadhouse. Free lunch 11am to 2 pm.

I haven't read every post in this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Both Home Depot and Lowe's give a 10% "military" discount. I know this applies to active duty, guard/reserve and retired military and their family members with "dependent" ID cards. I think it also applies to vets who can produce a Legion, VFW, etc. membership card.
This is a 365 day per year deal.

I don't know how many of our members have a Bob Evans restaurant in their area. We went there Sunday and just for the heck of it I asked for a senior discount and was told they don't offer discounts. The cashier told me she is asked that quite often and feels badly for the denial. I knew they didn't offer discounts and never see coupons but thought I'd ask again. That won't keep me from visiting Bob Evans cause it's really a good place to eat.

Back
Top Bottom