Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
The biggest senior citizen discount that I received is for the property tax.

Also some utilities offer SC discounts, but you have to ask for it. In our area, Water/Sewer and Disposal. Our municipality will also return a portion of your municipality taxes on Gas and Electric.
Note that the property tax relief depends on the state and locality greatly. In Tx if the local jurisdiction approves it is a freeze on the assesed value of the primary residence at the age 64 value. Over time if housing prices go up it is a good deal. This applies now to both school taxes and county taxes. So you need to check with local authorities to see how it works where you live.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #42

This post is for Koolou! Went to Steak and Shake again today and told my wife about your post. It was a little cooler and rainy today and wife opted for chili.
That got me going and I ordered a chili five-way and a strawberry shake. It was great. Got the 10% discount and added that onto the tip for the waitress.

Eat your heart out Koolou.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I can't shake the feeling that senior discounts are going to start drying up around the time I'm old enough to get them. Then again, I guess that's the Generation X in me saying that, not expecting the "good deals" to last into my generation...
It's basically true. My brother for years has said, "By the time I am old enough for Medicare the only thing they will pay for will be assisted suicide." Just give 'em a few more years. Assisted suicide only, and the waiting list will still be 6 months.

Ha
Old 11-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Since this thread is current, I'll just add a list of Veterans Day (November 11) discounts I just received. Most of these were new to me. We have quite a few vets here, and these discounts normally apply to active duty, retired, and veterans on this one day per year.

McCormick & Schmick's seafood restaurants. Free entree from special menu to vets at participating locations.

Denny's. Free all you can eat pancakes.

Golden Corral. Free dinner 4pm to 9 pm.

Hooters. Free entree from special menu.

Applebee's. Free dinner.

Max & Erma's. Free dinner.

Chili's. Free entree from special menu.

Olive Garden. Free entree from special menu, 10% discount for accompanying family.

Red Robin. Free Tavern Double Burger & Steak Fries.

Texas Roadhouse. Free lunch 11am to 2 pm.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
This post is for Koolou! Went to Steak and Shake again today and told my wife about your post. It was a little cooler and rainy today and wife opted for chili. That got me going and I ordered a chili five-way and a strawberry shake. It was great. Got the 10% discount and added that onto the tip for the waitress. Eat your heart out Koolou.
That is a great idea, passing the amount of the discount back to the waitress! Never thought of it, (although we do figure the tip on the undiscounted total).
Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #46

Quote:
This post is for Koolou! Went to Steak and Shake again today and told my wife about your post. It was a little cooler and rainy today and wife opted for chili.
That got me going and I ordered a chili five-way and a strawberry shake. It was great. Got the 10% discount and added that onto the tip for the waitress.

Eat your heart out Koolou.
I appreciate the sentiment, JOHNNIE. We ate at Denny's last night and passed our 20% discount to the waitress (on top of the tip). I was hungry and ate two $2.00 meals. Leaving at about 9:15 PM it was 75 degrees or so, balmy trade winds in the hair so we opened the "moon roof" for the trip home over the Ko'olaus. I have strongly considered sending S & S a letter requesting they open a franchise in the Islands. I think they would do well, but I don't think they are particularly growth minded. Too bad, as they are one of the few "fast food" places I'm passionate about. Glad you enjoyed S & S. I can live vicariously through your experience - until I return for the real thing. Much aloha.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Since this thread is current, I'll just add a list of Veterans Day (November 11) discounts I just received. Most of these were new to me. We have quite a few vets here, and these discounts normally apply to active duty, retired, and veterans on this one day per year.

McCormick & Schmick's seafood restaurants. Free entree from special menu to vets at participating locations.

Denny's. Free all you can eat pancakes.

Golden Corral. Free dinner 4pm to 9 pm.

Hooters. Free entree from special menu.

Applebee's. Free dinner.

Max & Erma's. Free dinner.

Chili's. Free entree from special menu.

Olive Garden. Free entree from special menu, 10% discount for accompanying family.

Red Robin. Free Tavern Double Burger & Steak Fries.

Texas Roadhouse. Free lunch 11am to 2 pm.
I haven't read every post in this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Both Home Depot and Lowe's give a 10% "military" discount. I know this applies to active duty, guard/reserve and retired military and their family members with "dependent" ID cards. I think it also applies to vets who can produce a Legion, VFW, etc. membership card.
This is a 365 day per year deal.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #48

I don't know how many of our members have a Bob Evans restaurant in their area. We went there Sunday and just for the heck of it I asked for a senior discount and was told they don't offer discounts. The cashier told me she is asked that quite often and feels badly for the denial. I knew they didn't offer discounts and never see coupons but thought I'd ask again. That won't keep me from visiting Bob Evans cause it's really a good place to eat.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That won't keep me from visiting Bob Evans cause it's really a good place to eat.
FYI, you can sign up with Bob Evans to get discount coupons by email. See their website.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #50

Military Discounts - Veterans Day
Veterans Day: Discounts and Freebies | Military.com
Old 11-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I'll jump on the bandwagon with yet another list of Veterans Day discounts & freebies:
Veterans Day Free Meals & Discounts

For what it's worth (because it's free!) Kiplinger's is making their Social Security tool free on Veterans Day. I guess the really amazing fact about this tool is that they get away with charging people $49.95 to use it.
Social Security for Veterans

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'll jump on the bandwagon with yet another list of Veterans Day discounts & freebies:
Veterans Day Free Meals & Discounts

For what it's worth (because it's free!) Kiplinger's is making their Social Security tool free on Veterans Day. I guess the really amazing fact about this tool is that they get away with charging people $49.95 to use it.
Social Security for Veterans
Aargh! Great shades of Healthcare.gov! After creating an account at http://www.socialsecurityforveterans.com/ and entering all of our data, the website crashed! Will try again later
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

After reading this thread I thought about the senior discount at Kroger. Even though I have a card, in order to get the senior discount, I had to go to the customer service desk and have them scan thus activating the card.

Now I get 10% off Kroger brands everyday. According to this website, this applies to people in TX and LA.

All Senior Deals: Discounts for Senior Citizens - Senior Discounts for 50+: Coupons, Discounts, More - Kroger Senior Citizen*Discount

Edit to add... The discount did not go into affect that day. But when I went to the grocery store today (7 days later) I got the discount. DH's info is on the card and since he's older than I am (he's 59) we get the discount.