Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our house just sold this morning. Wasn't even in the MLS. We had 4 private showings arranged by our realtor. We had two competing full price offers. Went back and forth into the night last night with the realtors fighting it out. We ended up with a full cash offer, reduced commissions, no inspection contingencies and a few other things. We feel very fortunate. We can now roll all this equity and some cash into the retirement home we are building. Should be done in 14 months or so. All paid for. Fire at the end of 2020. One more step behind us.

Wow. Congratulations !!

Happy half birthday to me - 59.5. Just changed my VG dividend selection to "gimme that dough". :LOL:

Last Day of Career Work! (Still getting paid to play around on the water sailing a few days a week this summer)

Paid off house December 2017 worth 430k. May 2018 hit 500k in investments. Next Goal 750k!!

Going to make "my announcement, the middle of July", to retire. I'll phase myself out, between now and the end of the year, but I am going to be hard to catch, between now and then. Planning lots of time off.

DW will probably be done on 9/1/18 at which point she'll have 39 3/4 years with the same company, aside from name changes.

We will both be 62 in September with $3.4MM in investable assets and $400K in a paid off house. Our next step is to look for a slower paced community, in Georgia, beyond metro Atlanta.

I am feeling like a prisoner, who will soon be granted parole!!! :D:D:D

Going to make "my announcement, the middle of July", to retire. I'll phase myself out, between now and the end of the year, but I am going to be hard to catch, between now and then. Planning lots of time off.

DW will probably be done on 9/1/18 at which point she'll have 39 3/4 years with the same company, aside from name changes.

We will both be 62 in September with $3.4MM in investable assets and $400K in a paid off house. Our next step is to look for a slower paced community, in Georgia, beyond metro Atlanta.

Congrats! Wow! You have worked hard and I hope you find good ways to spend it. I assume you have pensions, too.

Driving back from Atlanta, I was amazed at how big Lake Hartwell was. Half way between Atlanta and Charlotte on a big ole lake might not be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Congrats!
Athens, Gainesville, and the Dalton/Rome are all nice in different ways. We used to live in Martinez (Augusta burb) and loved going to the North Geogia Mountains. Best wishes with that first world problem. :LOL:

Congrats!
Athens, Gainesville, and the Dalton/Rome are all nice in different ways. We used to live in Martinez (Augusta burb) and loved going to the North Geogia Mountains. Best wishes with that first world problem. :LOL:

Dalton? Really? It must have changed a lot since I was last there. What’s the attraction these days?

Happy half birthday to me - 59.5. Just changed my VG dividend selection to "gimme that dough". :LOL:

I'm one day younger than you, but I past the 59.5 milestone without noticing it.

It actually is a little bit bigger deal than I gave it credit for, after considering it
for a bit. Full access to retirement funds is a pretty big milestone. I can't justify pulling
the plug yet, I'm a little behind on savings for that early of a retirement. I hope to
be positioned to pull the plug in two more years. We'll see how that goes.

Happy semi-birthday to us both :dance:

Just crossed $1.4M in liquid assets after selling a bunch of ISOs from my current company. Would be close to $2M if not for the huge tax hit...

Not really a milestone, but my original FIRE date was June, 2021. I decided this week that I just can't take it any more. I'm tired of the internal politics, bureaucracy, etc. In January, 2019, I'm giving my 60 day notice (60 days required by contract). The only reason to even continue until the end of the year is for the end of year bonus.

So that puts me at just over 6 months until FIRE.

Not really a milestone, but my original FIRE date was June, 2021. I decided this week that I just can't take it any more. I'm tired of the internal politics, bureaucracy, etc. In January, 2019, I'm giving my 60 day notice (60 days required by contract). The only reason to even continue until the end of the year is for the end of year bonus.

We all can understand that -:)

Quick update, due to market gains and a steady savings rate DW and I just surpassed the 500k threshold in cash/assets! Thank you all for the great advise and motivational comments, I’ve gained so much since I’ve joined!

Update, DW and I just passed the 600k mark! Looking to lower expenses and increase our savings rate even more!

A milestone of Declaration. During my annual performance bequeath (bonus) meeting, I told my boss’ boss I’d like more vacation than allotted by megacorp’s formula.
This was a bit brave as I’m not FI yet and this sort of desire is not within the company culture. I predicted at least a 1% chance I’d be invited to resign on the spot.
However, I was told I could take all the vacation I wanted as long as all my work was done. This is what I expected and is effectively a denial, as part of my job is planning and forecasting. How can that work ever be done?
Anyway, I still plan on taking extra vacation. The damage is done; I’ve now openly declared myself as someone who would rather be somewhere else than work. I’m a malcontent.
Hopefully I reach FI before the situation comes to a head and I’m shown the door. Megacorp has treated me fairly enough and I don’t relish the idea of toiling for one of our competitors. In the meantime, I’m gonna enjoy those bonus vacation days.

Last edited:
Update, DW and I just passed the 600k mark! Looking to lower expenses and increase our savings rate even more!

Bravo!

Looks like you’ve been able to sock away $150k in less than a year. That is impressive!

Last edited:

Congrats! You are almost there. I left mid-year 2017. Since I w*rked half the year, I took half of my 20 days vacation. A few months after leaving, I Get a check for 10 days' pay. A wonderful surprise! I also knew I would only get 1/2 of my bonus, but over time, I just completely forgot about it. So in February, I see an unexpected deposit of several thousand dollars. I drilled in and saw that it was that forgotten bonus. Just a couple of scoops of ice cream on the ol' retirement cake! :dance:

Last year on June 15 was my last day on the payroll (it was a Saturday). So Yay!, one year in.

I’ve now openly declared myself as someone who would rather be somewhere else than work. I’m a malcontent.

Viva la resistance! That takes guts and good for you. Us round pegs are not meant to fit into square holes.

My milestone was waiting for the package. I was ready to go at 57 but was also had no issue waiting. I was confident that it would happen.

In our jurisdicition/our company based on age, service, position I expected to get a 22-24 month plus benefits, etc. payout.

Two years later that milestone came, as I knew it would. The hard part was not displaying how thrilled I really was to get the chop. It was well worth the wait.

My milestone was waiting for the package. I was ready to go at 57 but was also had no issue waiting. I was confident that it would happen.

In our jurisdicition/our company based on age, service, position I expected to get a 22-24 month plus benefits, etc. payout.

Two years later that milestone came, as I knew it would. The hard part was not displaying how thrilled I really was to get the chop. It was well worth the wait.
That is an awefully generous package. What industry/position were you in that gives those packages. Good for you! Enjoy your RE.

well i retired in January 2017 , the problem i wasn't financially independent at the time , ( i was planning for January 2020 )

the good news is i am medically restricted from so much stuff , i have no choice but to spend less , now can i improve the nest egg sufficiently :confused:

We crossed a couple of significant milestones this morning: liquid assets crept up over $1.6M, and total net worth juuuuuust north of $2.5M. We have a stock-heavy portfolio, and the run up in the market over the last couple of years has been huge. I still have 10-12 years to go, but it’s nice to see the numbers going up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom