Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So close, so dang close.

I was all set to post a couple of weeks ago. After many years of frugality we were only 3K away from a major milestone. Sooooo temptingly close. We even had the champagne chilled and ready to go. But alas, it was not to be. The market decided to first tease us then retreat.

So close....so close.
Oh yeah, I know the feeling. My Roth IRA was closer to $100k than the money in my wallet at the time, but never did cross the mark.:( If not later this year, then certainly next January. ;)

I crossed a lot of milestones this year. Paid off our home in January. Paid cash for our condo in Florida in March. Passed the 1 million in savings...$1,289.76 to be exact. Replaced my 2002 E320 with a new C300 Sport...paid cash. No debt. Just expenses that need to be reeled in a bit. Wife and I are 59. Seeing some of these milestones...I feel poor!

I crossed a lot of milestones this year. Paid off our home in January. Paid cash for our condo in Florida in March. Passed the 1 million in savings...$1,289.76 to be exact. Replaced my 2002 E320 with a new C300 Sport...paid cash. No debt. Just expenses that need to be reeled in a bit. Wife and I are 59. Seeing some of these milestones...I feel poor!

I hate to break it to you but, you're a thousandaire, not a millionaire. :facepalm:

Does this mean you have to go back to work. :yuk:

A post RE milestone: after 1.5 years of ER I was ready to cancel my professional license. I also deleted my LinkedIn profile.

I probably shouldn't jinx it by saying this, but today could be the day I become a Millionaire! As of Friday's market close, my investable assets came in at about $997,860. :dance:

The market's doing great so far today, so let's hope I didn't just put a curse on it...

Not a financial milestone, but today was the day I chose to clean out the office. Just 5 more days until the end. Not very much is going home - I think that is a good thing.:D

Well, no jinx, at least not yesterday. I came in at $1,005,681. So, I finally broke the $1M barrier. And, I'm sure I'll break it again, several more times in each direction! :D

Well, no jinx, at least not yesterday. I came in at $1,005,681. So, I finally broke the $1M barrier. And, I'm sure I'll break it again, several more times in each direction! :D

Congratulations! Onward march to $2,000,000 in five years.:D

Back in 2010 I broke the $1M mark for the first time. Then the market tanked during he summer but it rebounded by the end of the year. You may have a bumpy ride, too, before you get enough above the $1M mark so that even some downturns keep you above it. That's when you will know you in the $1M club for good. :)

Thanks, guys! And yep, Scrabbler1, I remember that summer downturn in 2010 well. I had broken the $500K barrier earlier in the year, but it didn't take long for it to drop back down to around $458K. It got me a little worried, because I was afraid we were going to crash again, what with the Great Recession still so fresh. But, by September, I think, I was back over $500K, and managed to hit $600K by the end of the year. And while I fell back below $600K, twice I believe, I never did cross back below $500K.

Now that I think back on it, I believe I crossed each one of those $100K barriers at least once, both ways. With the exception, perhaps, of the $200K barrier. That one was helped though, when I sold my condo and invested the proceeds, so $200K was crossed and never looked back upon.

I remember awhile back, mentioning how, the closer I got to $1M, the less of a big deal it seemed. But, I must confess, even though I may only have fifteen minutes of fame before it drops back down, it does feel pretty darn good! :cool:

Hit $1.3 million invested today. The last 300k came in a little less than year. Hope it keeps it up maybe I can move my date up a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

That is awesome Andre!I am a little jealous,but way more happy for you than anything.

That is awesome Andre!I am a little jealous,but way more happy for you than anything.

Thanks! The feeling still hasn't fully sunk in, like it's not real. I think it'll feel more "real" if I'm still over the $1M mark by August 31, because then the milestone will be preserved in my Excel spreadsheet that tracks growth.

My next real milestone, I guess, is the $2M mark. My goal is to retire when I hit $2M or age 50, or whichever comes first. $2M is a ways off though, so for the time being maybe I'll just concentrate on $1.1M as the next goalpost!

Share your FIRE Milestones

Taxable trading account closed above $4MM for the very first time today. The previous major threshold of $3MM was breached on 14 October, 2013 - so a decent 10 month run.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Whoa! No way I can compare with those ## s but I'm banking all this paycheck and no longer dreading the office closing / getting laid off. It's different when you're single. Just me supporting me + dtr / her 4 kids. At least son is successfully launched

Over 10x age in stocks, 110% of monthly needs in non-payment income :blush:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Just wondering: I don't count property (physical assets / coin collection) just liquid assets. Should I count both?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Just wondering: I don't count property (physical assets / coin collection) just liquid assets. Should I count both?

This has been a topic of debate for some time now. Personally, I just include investible assets (stocks, mutual funds, IRAs, 401ks, checking/savings, savings bonds, etc). Trying to factor in the value of the house, cars, and other stuff just seems messy. And while yes, a house, car, furniture, etc, does have some value, it's not something you can quickly sell to tap that value. And, if you sell your house, well, you still gotta live somewhere. So you're either going to buy another house or rent, so there's still going to be some cost involved to offset the cash infusion from selling. Sell your car, and you're either going to buy another, depend on public transportation, or bum rides off of people, so it's sort of the same situation.

Now, if you're downsizing, say, selling a second home, extra car, etc, that might be different. But still, I'm not going to count on that value until it's been cashed in, and in my account.

my net worth has increased just over 1 million through real estate since i retired in 2009 but i did inherit close to 200K and just bought another rental with it in february. in 2009 i took the plunge and went all in with 300K, it bought me 5 single family homes for around 75K each(financing 2 of them), now the homes are in the low $200's. the best thing is i have not paid any income tax for the past several years because of the mortgage and auto write offs, my rentals are 70 miles away @ .555 per mile, a write down of $77 per trip and i go often :greetings10: like the time i forgot my wallet :facepalm:

Taxable trading account closed above $4MM for the very first time today. The previous major threshold of $3MM was breached on 14 October, 2013 - so a decent 10 month run.

You are a high roller :) I don't think many people have taxable accounts on that level.

So close, so dang close.

I was all set to post a couple of weeks ago. After many years of frugality we were only 3K away from a major milestone. Sooooo temptingly close. We even had the champagne chilled and ready to go. But alas, it was not to be. The market decided to first tease us then retreat.

So close....so close.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

After years and years of LBYM and saving we finally made the two comma club!! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

I know that we will tetter-totter back and forth several times and there may be times that we slip below that mark and stay there for years.

Still, it feels pretty good today!

Congrats on becoming a millionaire!!! How much longer you plan to w@rk?

I just received my military credit from HR for leave purposes. Since Im a federal employee, the credit is greatly needed b/c I need a vacation......

I did receive a bit more federal credit that I initially thought. Looks like Im still on track to semi ER at 39. I plan on jumping ship when im 39 regardless of if Im ready or not lol.

Thanks! If everything goes according to plans, i'm planning on a dual retirement in the summer of 2015.

Congrats to everyone, I loved reading this thread! I'm flirting with 800K and can't wait to join the two comma club!

You are a high roller :) I don't think many people have taxable accounts on that level.

Statistically speaking, most people don't have accounts 1/10 that amount. 400k puts you in the top 10%.

Wealthometer: USA

$4M is quite an accomplishment, indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom