Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is a sad story, but I hear stuff like this more and more. One of my elderly client's daughter lost her house to foreclosure. Basically, she and her husband lived for the moment and had every toy under the sun. They lost the house, and the daughter floated the idea to her mother that she should buy her a house. Her mom told her she needs to pay the price of her financial mistakes, and since she was 43 years old she should have known better..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I feel for you this is a difficult decision. Advising is "help", and that's about as far as I would go. Give him the choices and let him choose. Let him cry on your shoulder for a day or two, then let him be a man and deal with it in his own way.

You know the old saying..."Teach a man to fish ........."
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
...let him be a man...
I doubt he ever was, or ever could be (been there - done that)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie

And what's the duty of a father? What has dad been doing all these years? Was he being a father? No. Was he providing support? No.

Maybe father should have been a caring person if wanting others to reciprocate?
Certainly those of us with deadbeat parents have to make the choice of how to respond. I wouldn't blame anyone for making a choice to walk away entirely if that is right for them, only saying that when it comes to biological duty (as the OP mentioned) there are non-financial ways of being supportive.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote