So coupons do really add up

What I really meant to comment on was using coupons for prescription transfers or new scripts. DW and I get 3 or 4 scripts each year for items which are cheaper to buy as generics for cash than to run them through our insurance. We seem to hit it lucky and find coupons for anywhere from $10 to $25 in-store coupons for each new script or transfer. A couple of times, we've been able to use a 4-refill script to get $100 ($25/each for the new and transfers) while spending about $40 total for the actual scripts. Felt just a little bit guilty, but assuaged the old conscience by realizing it was a bunch of running around to play their silly little game. I used to make a lot more $$ per hour by w*rking, but there's no taxes on saving money (yet!). We need the stuff and it makes the stores happy, so everyone wins.

It chaps me you have to carry around a darn card to get the sale price advertised. I do it because I would be crazy not to, but I shop at other stores mostly that have no such thing. Others must feel the same way I do as the Winn Dixie Store close to my house went out of business not long ago. And it was a fairly new store. But Walmart and a generic grocery store did them in.

Don't get me started....I thought we were talking about coupons. I refuse to carry any more friggin cards around....no matter what size they are! Most of the stores around here that have discount card promotions will link the member discount to a (fake) phone number. Others will give you the discount anyway if you complain or "forgot" your card.

Semi-interesting experience using this coupon (which I printed out after reading robis attached note on Walgreens). The coupon was pretty nebulous, indicating several items it was NOT good for. It didn't make particularly clear what it WAS good for, but I assumed that meant anything in the store not on the list of 'prohibited' items. So, I just went to the local Walgreens and asked at the front register. The lady seemed puzzled though she admitted a couple of other folks had brought in similar coupons. She had to call a supervisor to figure it all out. After about 10 minutes, we found that it was as I thought. Most items were eligible for the % off coupon. Here's the kicker, though. You can only use this coupon at the cosmetics counter. You don't have to buy cosmetics there, but it's the only register that will give the discount. No reason for it, just their policy.

SO, I bought some deep discount sale items that I needed anyway and then got 15% off of the whole price. With the sales and the % off, I had to have saved half of what the stuff would have cost at any other time. Just glad my patience quotient was high tonight.

Thanks robis!!

Yup - hate the cards, too - give them a fake phone number - not interested in them tracking me. Most of the coupons I use are in flyers and for things I want/use. Don't buy brand name stuff too much and a lot of the time the brand name stuff even with the coupon is more expensive. Where I really save money with coupons is:

tooth brushes - toothpaste - laundry detergent - certain canned goods (tomatoes, etc) - pharmacy stuff (especially cold medicine during cold season - that stuff is expensive!!!) - vitamins - paper goods

Fresh vegetables, meats, other dry goods usually don't have coupons - protein is usually the most expensive food item, so any coupons on that can really offset the grocery bill.

Have done a few rebates - think that they make you call in after sending in the origami paperwork just to ensure you really want the rebate - so don't play that game very often

For online stuff - best deal is usually free shipping (I live overseas - makes a huge difference in price) - but discounts are good, too. Tend not to buy anything not on sale. When get back to the states, craigs list will become a regular - oh, when I visit parents in FL, they go to outlets and other places - stepmother is the QUEEN on how to make TJ MAxx, BEall's and Beall's Outlet (and Goodwill) even cheaper than they say they are. Here in Europe clothes are exhorbitantly expensive - my colleagues love going to the states with seveal huge suitcases and stocking up and taking it back with them

Bottom line - it's all relative....to me only use coupons for stuff you would buy anyway

Semi-interesting experience using this coupon (which I printed out after reading robis attached note on Walgreens). The coupon was pretty nebulous, indicating several items it was NOT good for. It didn't make particularly clear what it WAS good for, but I assumed that meant anything in the store not on the list of 'prohibited' items. So, I just went to the local Walgreens and asked at the front register. The lady seemed puzzled though she admitted a couple of other folks had brought in similar coupons. She had to call a supervisor to figure it all out. After about 10 minutes, we found that it was as I thought. Most items were eligible for the % off coupon. Here's the kicker, though. You can only use this coupon at the cosmetics counter. You don't have to buy cosmetics there, but it's the only register that will give the discount. No reason for it, just their policy.

SO, I bought some deep discount sale items that I needed anyway and then got 15% off of the whole price. With the sales and the % off, I had to have saved half of what the stuff would have cost at any other time. Just glad my patience quotient was high tonight.

Thanks robis!!
You're welcome!
I printed out the coupons from Walgreens at work. (On company-time. Bad!) I carefully read all the fine print on the coupon during my lunch-break, and brought up the weekly Walgreen ad to see if they had any items I needed. And made a list. Stopped after work, picked up the items and got the 15%-20% discount on various items. Sweet!

I use coupons and rebates and various other incentives the stores offer to get you out there to shop. Rite Aid is my favorite at the moment with all the deals they offer.

Sunday at RA netted 2 Gillette Fusion razors, 2 Gillette antiperspirants, 2 rolls of Scott tp, Dial liquid handsoap, and a small container of Morton sea salt. With all the coupons, rebates, and UP+ coupons I came out a couple dollars ahead of the game.

A week ago I bought a Sonicare rechargeable toothbrush at RA for $45 and used a $10 man coupon and a $5 off $25 RA coupon for $30 out the door. There is a $20 rebate from RA which has already cleared and a $10 manufacturer rebate which I have to mail in. If I get the $10 rebate that means a free Sonicare toothbrush or at worst a cost of $10.

Over time I have been able to get lots of toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, body wash, razors, lotion, pain relievers, cold and allergy meds and baby things for free or very little out of pocket. What I don't use can always be donated. Earlier in the year I donated several grocery bags of shampoo and toothpaste and toothbrushes to the local senior center for them to include in their food boxes.

I also send care packages to deployed soldiers that have requests on Books for Soldiers so free toiletries and sometime snacks or junk food are often what they want. The shipping cost is pretty high so any free or reduced cost items for care packages is very helpful.

There are many web sites that have information about the coupons and deals at various stores. I use Fat Wallet, Slick Deals, and Hot Coupon World. There are lots of discussions about yard sales and flea markets where some of the coupon users sell their stockpiles and a few make pretty impressive amounts of money. For some it's extra money and for some it really helps their families financial survival. To accumulate large stockpiles though purchasing coupons from a clipping service or some other ready source to lots of Sunday paper coupon inserts is necessary.

I don't want to bother with purchasing coupons or holding a yard sale so don't desire to gather 150 boxes of pasta and 75 scented candles or similar quantities.

Couponing is certainly a choice and it's understandable if some don't want to bother with it and have other more enjoyable things they want to spend their time doing. I think it's fun and figure every dollar saved is a dollar that can be directed elsewhere. I do not find much in the way of coupon savings for the food I purchase, but really find a bounty of deals in the HBA area.

I keep thinking that I should coupon more (read: at all) and then I realize, for what products? We just don't buy that much processed food. I go to Von's once every four months or so and buy a couple of jars of Best Foods mayo and maybe something like birthday candles (really). Just don't need what they sell. Between Trader Joe's (no coupons, good prices on dairy, bread and wine), Costco, the local greengrocer's or farmer's market and the local co-op for bulk items, we're covered. I look at the coupons every week and sort of wish I could use them, but I just don't buy that stuff.

On the plus side, we probably save a ton of money by preparing most of our own foods and buying whole foods.

I lost my house, car and post office box keys last year. I couldn't remember what else was on that key ring until a local grocery store contacted me. My never used store card was also on that key ring...:blush:

In the old days, people put a little tab on their key ring with their license plate number. If you found keys and dropped them in a post office box, they would supposedly be returned to you.

And, I guess replacement keys with electronics in them can cost > $100.

I was in the market for a new coat and found one I loved in Banana Republic last night, but was appalled at the price - $275.

After seeing the disappointment on my face, a salesman came by and we struck up a friendly conversation and I asked him if the store was offering any incentives, sales, or discounts. Instead of answering the question, he went to the back and came back a minute later with a 35% off coupon in hand and said, "It's your lucky day." Indeed it was - I purchased the coat and saved nearly $100 simply by asking.

Moral of the story: coupons ROCK! :ROFLMAO:

After seeing the disappointment on my face, a salesman came... back a minute later with a 35% off coupon in hand and said, "It's your lucky day."

Please help me practice that look - I have some car shopping to do! ;)

-ERD50

I don't use the cards either. I am waiting for the companies to sell the info to health or life insurance companies. You can bet your rates will go up if they see you buy a 30pack of Busch every day, or a box of twinkies.

I've asked for and received permission from from friends and family to use their phone numbers at the register in lieu of the cards. I get the discounts, but throw big brother off my scent. I've told friends/family why I don't use the cards and they aren't concerned. In fact, I think one of them gets a small wine credit at one store.

In the old days, people put a little tab on their key ring with their license plate number. If you found keys and dropped them in a post office box, they would supposedly be returned to you.

And, I guess replacement keys with electronics in them can cost > $100.

That's what happened to mine. Who ever found them must have dropped them in a mail box someplace. The Post Office then contacted the store. It took awhile for them to contact me because of the routing thru the Post Office. :ROFLMAO:

Southern Savers is one of the sites which gives strategies. Some say its not worth the effort... well, when my wife buys $300 of groceries and walks out paying under $60 I'd say its worth the effort. She spends hardly any time at it thanks to that site, which tells you how to time the coupons with the non-coupon sales cycles manufacturers have, plus you go where coupons are doubled. Not unusual for half the items in the cart to be free, or even better, priced at less than $0. :)

ER is about what you save and put away, not what you make, so I have no problem with people turning up their noses about saving when shopping, that they are above that and its not worth it. I laugh all the way to the bank.

...Some say its not worth the effort... well, when my wife buys $300 of groceries and walks out paying under $60 I'd say its worth the effort. ... Not unusual for half the items in the cart to be free, or even better, priced at less than $0. :)

So humor us and post a list of what she got for such great prices.

ER is about what you save and put away, not what you make, ... I laugh all the way to the bank.

True, which is why we buy the less processed foods and cook/prepare it ourselves. I'll bet your list is full of 2/3 off on "Instant Oatmeal with real life-like replicas of dried fruit and brown sugar and fruit-like processed particles". I'll be impressed when you come up with stuff cheaper than regular bulk oatmeal from Costco, and their Craisins which, IMO tastes better and is probably better for you.

And if you can, I'd really like to know because I like to save a buck, too.

-ERD50

We rarely use processed food and I cook from scratch almost every night ( we eat out once a week ) . Where we save with coupons is dishwasher detergent , clothes detergent ( especially when it is buy one get one free and we also use coupons ) , deodorant ,shampoo, toothpaste ,napkins, all my cleaning supplies . As for food we use coupons for butter , pasta , crackers , nuts , eggs ,ground turkey , seasonings , baking supplies( especially around the holidays ),orange juice ,coffee & soda . Plus lots of times we will receive a buy $40 and get $10 off at a local supermarket . If we are not planning on going to that store we use it at our local store .

I've never had much luck using coupons. Either there isn't a coupon that fits what I need to buy (and you're actually spending, rather than saving, if you buy something just because you have a coupon ;)) or there is a cheaper generic brand available. I hear stories about people who save tons with coupons, but I don't see how. I can save a couple of bucks, but no more.

One thing that saves a surprising amount at the grocery store is stocking up on sale items and knowing which local store has the best prices on certain items. I lost the ability to do either of those things when we moved in to the RV, and my grocery bill has more than doubled. Some of that is due to the fact that I'm cooking more, but I'm paying regular price for just about everything I buy now and it adds a lot to the bill.

I think it is partly a matter of family size, and personality. I start to get depressed if I carry huge bags or boxes of whatever out of a grocery store.

If my food bills get too high, I will eat less. No way am I going to add another book-keeping task or piece of busywork or get in a car to drive to some store across town.

I really could not go around with coupons and lists any longer, though I did buy large supplies of groceries at Costco when I had a family. Once I bought 100# of winter squash for $3, the night before a farm stand was due to get its shipment of Christmas trees. That sure made me happy.

Ha

I used to clip coupons a lot when I had the Sunday paper delivered, and stuck them on the frig next to the shopping list for the next trip. In most cases, the coupons expired before I needed the product they were discounting.
If a coupon comes with a product, I do save it and use it.
These days, I use my cashback card on all groceries (2%) so I consider that a "coupon" equivalent in itself. :D
I do have store cards for AutoZone, Price Chopper, Rite Aid and Sears. I use the "buy 9 get 1 free" lunch card for my weekly Chinese buffet.

Southern Savers is one of the sites which gives strategies. Some say its not worth the effort... well, when my wife buys $300 of groceries and walks out paying under $60 I'd say its worth the effort. She spends hardly any time at it thanks to that site, which tells you how to time the coupons with the non-coupon sales cycles manufacturers have, plus you go where coupons are doubled. Not unusual for half the items in the cart to be free, or even better, priced at less than $0. :)

I took a look at that Southern Savers site--excellent layout! Anyone know of a similar site for other regions of the country?:greetings10:

So humor us and post a list of what she got for such great prices.

Not going to spent an hour of my time going back through receipts, especially since the wife does the grocery shopping and I probably couldn't make heads or tails of them. :) The savings are real, however. There's plenty of information out there on the Internet. Start at Southernsavers.com, and there are many other sites like that out there, nationally and regionally.

True, which is why we buy the less processed foods and cook/prepare it ourselves. I'll bet your list is full of 2/3 off on "Instant Oatmeal with real life-like replicas of dried fruit and brown sugar and fruit-like processed particles". I'll be impressed when you come up with stuff cheaper than regular bulk oatmeal from Costco, and their Craisins which, IMO tastes better and is probably better for you.

No oatmeal or Craisons here (yuck). I cook family dinner myself nearly every night (I'm at home, the wife works outside the home). Very little is processed. Most of our food costs come from meats and fresh fruits/veggies. We get meat on sale and put it in the deep freeze, and try buy seasonal fresh fruits/veggies on special, and I make the meals accordingly. Most canned/frozen veggies we get nearly free, as well as condiments, dressings, consumables, etc. Even with 2 kids at home who don't like veggies, I do well (tonight a meatloaf which was really 1/2 ground beef and the other half blended veggies). Quality is pretty good... if I could just get quantity under control I'd lose some weight, lol!

It doesn't take a lot of time to do it, except at first, because you have to figure out how to organize everything initially, and shop according to a schedule. Once that system is in place, its pretty simple. My wife knows a lot more about it than I do... she's given me the overview, but my eyes tend to glaze over when she talks about grocery coupons.

I'm the type who looks for deals with auto parts, computer parts, technology and household goods. My rule of thumb... is to wait for a deal and if its something which is a recurring expense (motor oil & filters for example) I buy in bulk. There is very little I have to get *right now*. I watch sites like woot.com, fatwallet.com, etc. All my music... I get free from promotions through Amazon and other sites. Vacations and travel, we don't schedule around the same time every year like most people... just wait for a major deal to come along and GO! I get that info from Clark Howard's radio show (clarkhoward.com). My DSL (6 mbps) is $14.95/month.

My wife just told me about two recent deals she used: 6lbs of flounder fillets for $10! Also, canned tuna for -$0.50 (yes, they do credit it to the total!) by waiting for it to go on sale and then using a coupon which was doubled.

Not going to spent an hour of my time going back through receipts,

And of course, I'm not asking nor expecting you to detail the entire shopping cart. But a few examples of how you get $300 worth for $60 would help me to understand this. My wife checks out some coupons, but as I've said, it always seems like the 'good' ones are for stuff we wouldn't buy - it's more expensive than the more generic stuff - or we simply wouldn't eat it.

What the heck is wrong with oatmeal and Craisens? Add some almonds (Costco/Kirkland bag, kept in the freezer) and a splash of Costco milk makes a fine breakfast.

I also try to anticipate needs and stock up when I see a good price. I have a huge list in my Amazon basket - when I need a few $ to hit free shipping, or I see the price has dropped, I go for it (only what I need of course).

My wife just told me about two recent deals she used: 6lbs of flounder fillets for $10! Also, canned tuna for -$0.50 (yes, they do credit it to the total!) by waiting for it to go on sale and then using a coupon which was doubled.

OK, good deals. But is there really enough of those to bring a $300 cart of what you really want down to $60? Color me skeptical. I looked at the southernsavers site, but not knowing what you shop for, it didn't tell me much. Some of the deals I skimmed didn't strike me as much different than a Costco regular price.

-ERD50

Coupons are a great deal for things other than groceries. I just went to Staples today to stack 2 coupons, 1 for recycling credit of $100 off and $50 extra off a new HP PC. I upgraded my 2005 Pentium 4 desktop (I left 0.5gb RAM and a 1996 20gb HD in it) for an AMD quad core w/4gb RAM, 750gb HD. Got the price down from $449 to $299 and used all my rewards credit and gift card money. Only paid $242 out of pocket for this.

On the food note, local chain decided to send out pdf coupons to increase sales back in the summer. They were unlimted use coupons, so for 3 weeks, you could get $2 fresh fruit/veggies and fresh baked bread, any type! Needless to say, we loaded up everytime we passed one. We stacked the freezer with all the bread freebies that we could.

Back
Top Bottom