Join Early Retirement Today

So Who Is Getting Out of Bonds?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So Who Is Getting Out of Bonds?

So with all that is in the news about the debt ceiling, and Moody's possible downgrade of the US. Anybody clearing out of bonds right now? and if so, where are you parking your money? (I know I know- sounds like a dirty market timer!)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the time to get out of bonds will be shortly before the end of QE13. There should be a period in there where the gov't takes a break from debasing the currency and rates will start creeping up to -2% or so.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I don't see any corporations getting downgraded because of this, so it should be no problem investing in investment-grade corporate bonds or short-term corporate bonds.

Also emerging markets don't seem to have all the problems of the US, Europe, and Japan ... even if China has to keep raising interest rates, so I doubled my position in emerging markets recently because EM has been the worst performing equity asset class this year.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

According to this article should washington fail to reach an agreement by the deadline then its gonna be really bad and there will be no where to hide

US default: Doomsday for investors - 1 - politics & debt limit - MSN Money
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Since modern money has no intrinsic worth it is only a promise to provide a understandable measure of value into the future. When the US defaults, and I'm convinced that we have no other option, there will be a great deal of short term confusion.

It will not be the end of the world. In fact historically it is more the norm for sovereign dept and currencies to go Kaput over time than it is for them to have ever lasting value. Cooking oil, Land, precious metals, family, friends, good health and even dividend paying international companies that have good business practices will still have value. It will just be difficult to make sense out of that value because we have used the dollar as our standard of measurement for so long. Very shortly a new standard will arrive. Who knows we may all be using the Canadian looney before it is over be cause it seems to be a pretty stable currency.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're invested per asset allocation in a very low cost bond index fund and we intend to stay there.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #7

I am keeping my municipal bonds.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #8

Hmmm.....the bond fund in my IRA is nearly 50% in US Govt bonds. The stock portion (S&P Index fund) of my IRA had been getting a little high lately when the market was nearing 13k recently but I did not do any rebalancing from stocks into bonds. The stock fund also paid a big dividend a few days ago. Now I am torn about rebalancing into that bond fund with its large USG holding.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am keeping my municipal bonds.
I have a significant postion in municipal bonds too. This whole "default on the fed debt" thing has me thinking (always dangerous) regarding that. When the feds default, will they be opening the door for the states and municipalities to be more prone to default? Leadership by example?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I have a significant postion in municipal bonds too. This whole "default on the fed debt" thing has me thinking (always dangerous) regarding that. When the feds default, will they be opening the door for the states and municipalities to be more prone to default? Leadership by example?
I have about 10% of my holdings in muni bonds. I don't see states and localities seeking to mimic the feds in a race-to-the-bottom default scenario. The states and localities have their own budgetary issues, balanced budget amendments, income streams, and expenses. The elected leaders like to boast about their bond ratings for political gain so any downgrade would undercut those bragging rights.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #11

Most of the dire predictions of a default are political posturing. US debt payments have first priority. The major hit will be to government workers that will theoretically become unemployed. However, past "shutdowns" have always resulted in the actual Federal employees being "made whole" so they effectively got paid vacation days (pretty disgusting IMHO). Another however, contract scum (like me) got nada. They were unpaid days.

Back to the original question, I'm not doing anything different about my US bond holdings.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #12

I'm not changing.

I don't know of an easy-to-buy alternative that wouldn't be hit by a gov't default, and which hasn't already seen a run up in price.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #14

Someone will blink, maybe both sides. For all the posturing now, I think everyone realizes that NOT increasing the ceiling to force the government to stop funding and paying for some obligations is simply not an option. But there is a lot of brinksmanship going on, and I think it's a matter of who blinks first -- but someone will, just like they did when they extended the Bush tax cuts for a couple years. No one wanted the cuts to go away for the middle class, so at the 11th hour something came together.

I suspect the same will happen here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We're invested per asset allocation in a very low cost bond index fund and we intend to stay there.

+1 for me.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Most of the dire predictions of a default are political posturing. US debt payments have first priority. The major hit will be to government workers that will theoretically become unemployed.
You're missing the bigger picture. If we hit the debt ceiling and start defaulting on our obligations, our credit rating tanks. Instantly. Then all the trillions of dollars we've borrowed will become MUCH MUCH more expensive to refinance when the notes come due. It would cause a massive and very rapid increase in the nation's interest expenses -- which is already $0.5 Trillion/yr at our current AAA rating. That would NOT be good.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I thought this thread was "Who is getting out of bounds?" I am so disappointed.

Ha
Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Or, who "has slipped the surly bonds of" ... of...work, perhaps? I dunno. My bonds haven't been too surly lately. Love those dividends.

High Flight

by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of...wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor even eagle flew.
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space...
...put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

oooh those kind of bonds.. never mind i was thinking of something else lol.

whips and chains and things that sting,these are a few of my favorite things, la la la la..

ha ha ha ha
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
This is what happens when you foster unrealistic expectations.