Social Security DO-OVER May Disappear

Interesting!

It amazes me that this do-over strategy has gained their attention, given that the article says that only 1000 SS recipients took advantage of it in 2009. Talk about picky and detail-oriented... :rolleyes: :cool:

It amazes me that this do-over strategy has gained their attention, given that the article says that only 1000 SS recipients took advantage of it in 2009. Talk about picky and detail-oriented...

1000 only, that's a non-issue then.

What will the financial press write about when they can't have articles discussing this ?

argggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
0834804670.jpg

Interesting!

It amazes me that this do-over strategy has gained their attention, given that the article says that only 1000 SS recipients took advantage of it in 2009. Talk about picky and detail-oriented... :rolleyes: :cool:

I would guess it's not the 1000 who used it in 2009. It's the 500 who used it in 2007 doubling in only two years.

This is one of those things that can be ignored as long as hardly anyone uses it. But, when it gets publicity from sources like Kiplingers, it's plausible that the number of users could go up very rapidly. If I were at the SS administration, I'd say let's kill this before any more people start making plans to use it.

How many people have the knowledge and the capacity to actually pay back real money they have already spent.

How many people have the knowledge and the capacity to actually pay back real money they have already spent.
I would venture to say that there are a few on this board, and boards such as BH (since there were several folks over there talking about their experience in withdrawl/repay) that could do it.

For the "common man" (or woman), probably not.

However, whoever said we were common? :cool:

On a personal note, I would believe that there is a real possibility (however slight) that this option will be removed in the future. It's easier when you don't have a "political force" to support its continuance.

Of course, that only my opinion :whistle: ...

It sounds like a loophole that rich people can take advantage of so it will be a good thing to get rid of because who wants rich people to get richer?

In reality of course it probably doesn't cost SS any more or less to offer the payback option (just like the timing of when people take social security makes no difference to SS in terms of actuary). It might or might not benefit the individual who uses the loophole, takes SS early or late, etc.

Personally I would have everyone take SS when they turn their full retirement age and get rid of all the options.

The rules of Social Security will change. It is inevitable given the money shortfall(s). So we can all speculate on what gets changed.

It gets really hard to game the system without knowing what the rules will be.

Personally I would have everyone take SS when they turn their full retirement age and get rid of all the options.
I assume you are married. Have you worked out the possible options if you do a "dual SS" plan?

Just wondering if you did, and would still make the same statement...

Unless you have a very long life expectancy, I can't see it making sense....if you died the next year, you just paid back all that money and didn't get anything out of it. How many years of extra payments would it take to make up the difference, especially factoring in time-value of money?

Unless you have a very long life expectancy, I can't see it making sense....if you died the next year, you just paid back all that money and didn't get anything out of it.
Are we talking SS here or annuities? Same question applies, right - except you're using SS money in this case and your own money to buy the ann... :)

Are we talking SS here or annuities? Same question applies, right - except you're using SS money in this case and your own money to buy the ann... :)

If you are taking a lifetime income as an annuitization from the annuity with no period-certain guarantee, then yes, the same rationale would apply. A person with Stage 4 cancer wouldn't annuitize because they'll never see the money back.

An EIA with an income rider that does not eliminate the accumulated value immediately is a different story because if you passed away shortly after taking income, the beneficiaries would still receive the lump sum accumulation value that had not been drawn down yet. Social Security won't give you any of the money back if you died the next day.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Interesting. In our case (assuing I pass first), my DW will receive 2.5x her age 62 benefit at my passing, at age 70.

And that dosen't account for the close to $1k/month I'll receive when I turn 66 and file against her SS, from the ages of 66-69.

That means close to an extra $48k I'll get while waiting for my benefit, plus the assumption that my DW will receive 100% of my benefit (much more than hers) after I pass.

If you say so, OK...

I had every intention of going the payback route, but at least it appears I'll know that option is gone, well before I could've exercised it. So I just won't take SS early like I'd planned...

Well...I had definitely planned on maybe using it as an option ..but that decision is 10 plus years away for me. Don't like the fact that the option may be taken away. :(
But then there is little that I have liked the last 2 years anyway....just another added to the mix.

Well...I had definitely planned on maybe using it as an option ..but that decision is 10 plus years away for me. Don't like the fact that the option may be taken away. :(
Nobody under the age of 50 should ever be surprised that the economic rules their parents played under are changing, and not for the better.

Oh well, that sounds like one decision I won't have to make when the time comes.

Oh well, that sounds like one decision I won't have to make when the time comes.

Yeah, but it makes the "When to take SS" decision infinitely more difficult.

I composed an email to my 67-year-old sister suggesting she consider it, but then I realized that the chances that she'd do the do over are extremely low.

Yeah, but it makes the "When to take SS" decision infinitely more difficult.

I composed an email to my 67-year-old sister suggesting she consider it, but then I realized that the chances that she'd do the do over are extremely low.

Very true. Deciding when to take SS has to be easier knowing that you can always change your mind (providing you can afford the pay back).

I'm not surprised that your sister is unlikely to do it as I believe less than 1% of eligible folks actually do take advantage of this feature.

Back
Top Bottom