Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security DO-OVER May Disappear
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Social Security DO-OVER May Disappear

An article from Kiplinger's posted today indicated that they believe the Social Security Administration will act to eliminate the pay-back provision, sometime in the next few months.

Social Security Payback Option May Disappear - Kiplinger

-- Rita

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Administrator

Interesting!

It amazes me that this do-over strategy has gained their attention, given that the article says that only 1000 SS recipients took advantage of it in 2009. Talk about picky and detail-oriented...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
It amazes me that this do-over strategy has gained their attention, given that the article says that only 1000 SS recipients took advantage of it in 2009. Talk about picky and detail-oriented...
1000 only, that's a non-issue then.

What will the financial press write about when they can't have articles discussing this ?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

argggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Interesting!

I would guess it's not the 1000 who used it in 2009. It's the 500 who used it in 2007 doubling in only two years.

This is one of those things that can be ignored as long as hardly anyone uses it. But, when it gets publicity from sources like Kiplingers, it's plausible that the number of users could go up very rapidly. If I were at the SS administration, I'd say let's kill this before any more people start making plans to use it.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #6

How many people have the knowledge and the capacity to actually pay back real money they have already spent.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
How many people have the knowledge and the capacity to actually pay back real money they have already spent.
I would venture to say that there are a few on this board, and boards such as BH (since there were several folks over there talking about their experience in withdrawl/repay) that could do it.

For the "common man" (or woman), probably not.

However, whoever said we were common?

On a personal note, I would believe that there is a real possibility (however slight) that this option will be removed in the future. It's easier when you don't have a "political force" to support its continuance.

Of course, that only my opinion ...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like a loophole that rich people can take advantage of so it will be a good thing to get rid of because who wants rich people to get richer?

In reality of course it probably doesn't cost SS any more or less to offer the payback option (just like the timing of when people take social security makes no difference to SS in terms of actuary). It might or might not benefit the individual who uses the loophole, takes SS early or late, etc.

Personally I would have everyone take SS when they turn their full retirement age and get rid of all the options.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

The rules of Social Security will change. It is inevitable given the money shortfall(s). So we can all speculate on what gets changed.

It gets really hard to game the system without knowing what the rules will be.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Personally I would have everyone take SS when they turn their full retirement age and get rid of all the options.
I assume you are married. Have you worked out the possible options if you do a "dual SS" plan?

Just wondering if you did, and would still make the same statement...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unless you have a very long life expectancy, I can't see it making sense....if you died the next year, you just paid back all that money and didn't get anything out of it. How many years of extra payments would it take to make up the difference, especially factoring in time-value of money?
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I assume you are married. Have you worked out the possible options if you do a "dual SS" plan?

Just wondering if you did, and would still make the same statement...
Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Unless you have a very long life expectancy, I can't see it making sense....if you died the next year, you just paid back all that money and didn't get anything out of it.
Are we talking SS here or annuities? Same question applies, right - except you're using SS money in this case and your own money to buy the ann...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are we talking SS here or annuities? Same question applies, right - except you're using SS money in this case and your own money to buy the ann...
If you are taking a lifetime income as an annuitization from the annuity with no period-certain guarantee, then yes, the same rationale would apply. A person with Stage 4 cancer wouldn't annuitize because they'll never see the money back.

An EIA with an income rider that does not eliminate the accumulated value immediately is a different story because if you passed away shortly after taking income, the beneficiaries would still receive the lump sum accumulation value that had not been drawn down yet. Social Security won't give you any of the money back if you died the next day.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yes, yes, and yes.
Interesting. In our case (assuing I pass first), my DW will receive 2.5x her age 62 benefit at my passing, at age 70.

And that dosen't account for the close to $1k/month I'll receive when I turn 66 and file against her SS, from the ages of 66-69.

That means close to an extra $48k I'll get while waiting for my benefit, plus the assumption that my DW will receive 100% of my benefit (much more than hers) after I pass.

If you say so, OK...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'm know there is typically a nice little marriage benefit (Marriage and Social Security Benefits - US News and World Report). From an actuary standpoint for SS in general, it's probably six of one, etc. no matter how or when a couple takes their benefits. And unlike the payback option, this one is something most couples can do (not just the "rich" people) so I'm sure it's safe.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
It gets really hard to game the system without knowing what the rules will be.
Yeah, life is like that, y'know?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had every intention of going the payback route, but at least it appears I'll know that option is gone, well before I could've exercised it. So I just won't take SS early like I'd planned...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #19

Well...I had definitely planned on maybe using it as an option ..but that decision is 10 plus years away for me. Don't like the fact that the option may be taken away.
But then there is little that I have liked the last 2 years anyway....just another added to the mix.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Well...I had definitely planned on maybe using it as an option ..but that decision is 10 plus years away for me. Don't like the fact that the option may be taken away.
Nobody under the age of 50 should ever be surprised that the economic rules their parents played under are changing, and not for the better.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote