Social Security News Today - 06-28-05...................

Hey Michael: Interesting Rant ;) And you think that teachers, police, fire department live high off the hog? and make you work harder and they lobbied againt the private sector employees, HUH?

maddythebeagle said:
Hey Michael: Interesting Rant  ;) And you think that teachers, police, fire department live high off the hog? and make you work harder and they lobbied againt the private sector employees, HUH?

Yeah I think ol Michael may spend a bit too much time listening to right wing radio.

We seem to have no problem paying for the education of workers for private corporations, while the CEO's have escalated their pay from a 50 to 1 ratio in the 1960's to over 500 to 1 today.

These public services are not free and it's about time that we started collecting from the biggest users of them!

Cut-Throat said:
Mikey,

Great Post! - Warren gets it! - It's funny how so few others seem to! ;)

In case anybody was ever confused why Bush Jr. took on the Social Security Issue - Let me clarify it. - It was all about ideology and never about 'saving it' - Bush wanted to dismantle a 'new deal' legacy for his own legacy. This is why private accounts were so important to him, even though they made the Social Security 'problem' worse.

Hey C-T, do you see a conspiracy everywhere (concealed motives?).
It could just be stupidity? Anyway, I do agree that Warren B. is a sharp
guy. Re. Bush, I think he really believes in most of his stuff. Even when
I think he is wacko, I can't escape the feeling that he has the courage of his
convictions. He just doesn't seem devious to me.

JG

Yep...if something looks like it could either be brilliant conspiracy or complete idiocy, suspect the latter... ;)

...police, fire department...

Actually I think the police and firemen are great. They protect us, and should get their full pension. I do think that some (not all) government employees are not being politically savvy when they lobby against private pensions being made whole. They will be asking those same private employees for help with their own pensions.

Notth said:
Yep...if something looks like it could either be brilliant conspiracy or complete idiocy, suspect the latter... ;)

Yup, You're right TH, I was probably giving him way too much credit.

Well, in other news to brighten your day, looks like your pal Kaptain Karl may be implicated as the source for Matt Cooper on the CIA operative. Right now he's listed as "one of..." the sources, so maybe he'll slip the noose again...

Michael,
I had a Detective in my office the other day who filled out a credit app. and put a salary of 240K on his app.
I got to talking to him and he said that he was going to ER at the end of the year after 22 years.
His pension will be 170K a year cola adjusted and full medical and dental.
I got to thinking that he is a public servant but I'm serving him.
He's 43 years old and the public has to support this guy for the rest of his life with this type of pension.
Do you really think that this is fair:confused:

And you believe this?

73ss454 said:
His pension will be 170K a year cola adjusted and full medical and dental.
I got to thinking that he is a public servant but I'm serving him.
He's 43 years old

Tozz,
Yea it's for real, he's not the first one to come to my office for a loan.
He had to give me pay stubs.
Not sure  what his pension will be but the pay stubs showed an average of 20K a month for his current salary.
Crazy but it's for real!

MRGALT2U said:
Hey C-T, do you see a conspiracy everywhere (concealed motives?).
It could just be stupidity?  Anyway, I do agree that Warren B. is a sharp
guy.  Re. Bush, I think he really believes in most of his stuff.  Even when
I think he is wacko, I can't escape the feeling that he has the courage of his
convictions.  He just doesn't seem devious to me.

JG
While I could be convinced that Bush is simply a moron and actually believes the nonsense he spouts, I don't see Cheny and Rove in the same way. I definately see them as elitists who believe the world would be a better place if the ultra-wealthy were made the ruling class and the rest of us put in our place. :) :) :)

Do you really think that this is fair:confused:

I will not comment on a particular individual without hearing his side of the story.

I always find it funny that so many private sector folks rag on civil service. I think people forget how much "corporate welfare" is out there that results in more taxes. I am not saying that I am againt all of this because I am not sure if it creates jobs or not (probably helps but I suspect it just makes people at the top richer) If you dont want any services, then you should elect folks that run under that platform. I think it is probably more a case (as most politics). That you want stuff but you want the "rich" to pay for it. The rich have the money to avoid the taxes, which means it mostly falls on the middle class so we are screwing ourselves :().

You're right, and the monopolies that the politicians grant certain groups drive up costs even more.  Most Americans seem to have no idea how much extra work they do because of this fantastic system.

Then again, most Americans seem to believe in living above their means, and probably see nothing wrong with this system. Living below your means people are the only ones who would think that some of the things politicians force us to spend our money on are a tremendous waste. We are outnumbered, and thus outvoted.

Am I understanding correctly that a detective in the police force can make $240,000 per year? What city is that?

I dont know about 240k, but a detective or CHP officer can break well into six figures with a little overtime and some 'security duty'.

My Uncle, LA county sheriff, drives an E class and owns a 3000 sq. foot home in orange county. His wife only has token jobs (hair salon, tupperware etc.). I have no idea what he makes, but he can retire at 55 and count on similar income. Nice life.

Of course, he also had a guy put a bullet in his chest (trauma plate saved him) so be careful what you wish for.

Nassau police start at around 40-50K usually make it to over 100K, have great benefis and can retire at 1/2 pay on 20 years (41 for someone who starts at 21). Seems like a decent ER path if you make it. My uncle was nypd and was shot in a bank robbery. Was parayzed for a few years, then died.

Pointing out why police, soldiers, firemen, etc... deserve to receive their pensions. They risk their lives to protect us.

Michael said:
Pointing out why police, soldiers, firemen, etc... deserve to receive their pensions.  They risk their lives to protect us.

Some do. Many do not. In each category there are those who merely sit on their asses waiting for that fat pension. Not all of course,
but still a very large number. You take a cop in a smallish town or rural county for example. Very soft job.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Some do. Many do not. In each category there are those who merely sit on their asses waiting for that fat pension. Not all of course,
but still a very large number. You take a cop in a smallish town or rural county for example. Very soft job.

JG

They also don't get anywhere near the same compensation. There is a reason L.A. and N.Y. pay so well. Now if you want to talk about criminally high salaries, look no further than the head of the teamsters union that ran the closed shop at the UPS load/unload center I worked at. Come election time, they would hand me a "voter guide" as I left the center floor. Only one candidate per posts. Hmmmm.....

Laurence,
On the contrary, NYCity Police and Fire make a fraction of the Nassau and Suffolk Police.
The NYPD have a much more difficult job than Nassau and Suffolk.
In most cases this is a country club out here.

MRGALT2U said:
You take a cop in a smallish town or rural county for example. Very soft job.

I don't know about that. It seems Sheriff Andy Taylor had a tough job having to deal with Barney, Gomer, Guber, Loyd, Otis and of course Ernest T. ;)

73ss454 said:
Nassau County NY. The highest paid Police in the country.

That's one of the reasons Nassau taxes are so freakin high. I don't see how anyone with less than $3 million, could ER and continue to live there.
I'm happy to say I don't.

Back
Top Bottom