Somewhere Over the Rainbow

This thread got me thinking about:
If we as a group (retirement minded people) had not saved or earned a pension to retire, we would have ended up working until 65 with SS the only thing in our future. We may have been eating Alpo at some point. So the thought occurred, why do we worry so much about anything over 20/30 years. We would have been dumpster divers and Alpo eaters anyway at some point. I figure if it gets that bad I'll probably have dementia or something and want even care. :LOL:
Steve

Heck, if one has dementia, one might think Alpo tastes good.

Wait a minute! Does anyone here know if Alpo tastes good even if one does not have dementia?

Heck, if one has dementia, one might think Alpo tastes good.

Wait a minute! Does anyone here know if Alpo tastes good even if one does not have dementia?

You know at the Alpo point of life you could always comment a small time, no harm to anyone crime.
End up in jail and get 3 hots and a cot.
Sounds like a plan to me :D
Never spent a single night in jail but if I get hungry enough it might work out.:LOL:
Steve

Alpo is tolerable, but I say go for something more substantial, like Beneful. Stay away from Fancy Feast cat food though. At those prices, might as well pay for human food! :p

I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but our local SPCA gets so much dog and cat food donated to them, that they often have to give or even throw a lot of it away. So, if you're too destitute in those later years, might be something to think about!

I'm 56, DW is 54. We're about 40X (where FI is argubly 25-33X) now. If I was 5 years older, I'd consider SS and Medicare close enough, at 56 it looks a long way off. We have no pension or retiree health care of any kind.

I would say at some point along the way that you consider a SPIA. I would not do it now due to your age and interest rates. However, because you seem confident in the next 20 to 25 yrs, maybe sometime in your 60's purchase your long term security blanket.;)

Alpo is tolerable, but I say go for something more substantial, like Beneful. Stay away from Fancy Feast cat food though. At those prices, might as well pay for human food! :p

I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but our local SPCA gets so much dog and cat food donated to them, that they often have to give or even throw a lot of it away. So, if you're too destitute in those later years, might be something to think about!

That sounds good. I could volunteer to help out with the animals and get free food.
Beats the hell out of jail.
Steve

You know at the Alpo point of life you could always commit a small time, no harm to anyone crime.
End up in jail and get 3 hots and a cot.
Sounds like a plan to me :D
Never spent a single night in jail but if I get hungry enough it might work out.:LOL:
Steve

I might think about that, but only if I can get my own cell.

I can't stand being proposed to by a cell mate.

You won't have to worry about any proposals - it'll be a common law marriage.

Consumated by morning you think? :whistle:
I may need to rethink this plan a little. :blush:
The take care of animals and free alpo is beginning to sound better all the time.
Steve

Alpo is tolerable, but I say go for something more substantial, like Beneful. Stay away from Fancy Feast cat food though. At those prices, might as well pay for human food! :p!

Yeah, that Beneful smells pretty darn good! Heated up over rice I'm sure it would be both tastier and more nutritious than a lot of what I ate in college. :LOL:

Midpack,

I am in the exact same situation as you but a couple years younger. I have a good salary, stable w*rk... but have grown to dislike my j*b and feel it is time to go.

What I read in your post... financial jitters. I suspect if the economy was doing better, your concern would subside. The market indirection and all of the fear mongering going on in the media is disconcerting.

My major concern is maintaining our standard of living. Stepping away from my current earning power will take some confidence. The other positive aspects of w*rk are not a factor to me... the negative outweighs it. Plus, it is time to turn the page. Thankfully, I can do that.

My target FIRE date is next year. I am hoping the economy looks better by then. It will make taking the first step much easier... even though I know that long-term risk is still there.

It may look different to me next year...

But, when I take stock in our situation. We are in great financial shape with no debt, health insurance, own our home, good health...

Yet, there is still uncertainty.

Here we sit today... bounced a bit off the market bottom of the biggest fear since 1929. Could it get worse... yes... is it likely to do so...IMO - probably not... or at least not a lot worse.

I figure if I got DW and I through that situation ok... I can manage ER.

One of my most important tasks is managing risk related to our assets. I have enough fixed assets to cover current expenses till we are both 70. Of course, we intend to spend more than our current yearly expenses. That doesn't include our pension (at 55) and DW SS at 62. If I include those, we way above that amount. However, we intend to spend at a higher level to do some traveling and other activities.

The other important financial task will be managing a budget. Since we have earned way more than we spend... we have never tracked the spending very closely. However, we are careful with our money.

Being in an entirely different situation (and mindset) that Midpack, my advice and perspective are probably not applicable... :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom