Join Early Retirement Today
SS: ex-spouses still get benefit
Old 02-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
SS: ex-spouses still get benefit

This doesn't apply to me, but it's worth posting here in case it affects someone else. From this Oblivious Investor (Mike Piper) page:

One thing that is particularly interesting, however, is what the voluntary suspension memo says about ex-spouse benefits. Specifically, it says that, even for people affected by the new rules, if a person suspends his/her retirement benefit, that will not stop an ex-spouse from receiving a spousal benefit on that personís work record.

The reason this is noteworthy is because itís directly contrary to the text of the law itself.

"Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants."
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Why let statute get in the way?

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
"If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years."

The above policy is not new, it serves the function of preventing an ex spouses SS choices affecting the other ex spouses SS benefits choices.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
I can only imagine the havoc that a vindictive ex-spouse could wreak if they were able to hold up benefits for their ex. Not a pretty picture.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote